Quuador's Collection - Spare book closet put to good use

Time for the misprinted Pikachu part:

The first fourteen language parts were Chinese (click here to go to that part); Dutch (click here to go to that part); English (click here to go to that part); French (click here to go to that part); German (click here to go to that part); Indonesian (click here to go to that part); Italian (click here to go to that part); Japanese (click here to go to that part); Korean (click here to go to that part); Polish (click here to go to that part); Portuguese (click here to go to that part); Russian (click here to go to that part); Spanish (click here to go to that part); and Thai (click here to go to that part).
And the first three special parts were the Unofficial Pikachu cards (click here to go to that part); Jumbo Cameos (click here to go to that part); and Autographed cards (click here to go to that part).

We now go over all other misprinted/error Pikachu cards in my collection, that weren’t mentioned yet in the Misprinted section of the “Unofficial Pikachu cards” part we did earlier. The misprinted/error cards mentioned in the previous part are (usually) repeating and well-known, whereas the Pikachu cards in this part will be general printing process misprints/errors, like miscut/off-centered cards; ink drops/lines; crimped cards; holo bleeds; etc.

Misprints:

I will go over them with the same type of misprints grouped together. For some of those type of misprints I have 20+, for others only one or two. They also vary in how misprinted they are (e.g. one miniature ink drop vs an ink smudge/line or slightly off-centered vs heavy miscut with other card visible).

Shifts:

The first part is about Holofoil and Ridges misalignments. This type of misprints doesn’t happen too often, but it seems to happen more often since the Sword & Shield era. Not too surprising, the holofoil shifted cards I own are all from this Sword & Shield era, for which I currently have three.
The SWSH063 is correctly centered, but the holofoil layer is shifted upwards. As for the English Celebrations Surfing/Flying Pikachu V cards, the holofoil layer is actually correctly centered, but because both cards are miscut bottom-to-top, the holofoil is still misaligned because of that. (Both of these cards are only miscut at the front, with a regular well-centered back.)

The next one is a holofoil shift as well, but it’s so minor it’s almost not worth mentioning. I have seen much more obvious and extreme examples, and I’m still looking for one myself, but even though it’s minor, it’s still a misprint for my collection. The holofoil 25th anniversary logo on this Jumbo Pikachu is shifted about a mm to the right.

It’s also possible to have shifted ridges. A lot of full art Secret Rare cards have ridges these days, and those can be misaligned with the actual card/artwork. In the one Pikachu card with shifted ridges that I have, it’s not a full art Secret Rare card, but the golden 25th anniversary Base Pikachu instead. As you can see, the ridges are shifted towards the left, causing kind of a shadow effect (it’s especially notable at the Energy symbols and the height/weight rectangle below the artwork). In addition, the “h” in Pikachu is also missing some black ink, making this a double misprint.

(Partially) Missing Stamps:

Kinda similar as the missing stamp WB Pikachu promo that I’ve showed in the earlier ‘Pikachu around the World’ part, there are misprints where the stamps are completely or partially missing. For the one I have, it’s a Korean Base Set Pikachu from the Pikachu World Collection 2000 set, which only has a partial Pikachu tail stamp.

Miscuts / Square Cuts / Off-centered:

Next we have the miscuts, square cuts, and off-centered cards. Starting with the most extreme miscuts/square cuts in my Pikachu collection, and going down from there.
Let me first explain the difference between the three:

• Square cuts: square-cuts are those where at least one of the corners of the card isn’t rounded, but at a 90 degrees square cut instead. I have yet to see a card with three square-cut corners, but cards with two or four square-cut corners are pretty common in terms of square cuts, and every once in a while you have cards with a single square cut. I unfortunately missed my chance on an English unlimited edition Base Set Pikachu single square cut a few years back, when four of them were put on eBay, all from the same ZAP! Theme Deck, but they defintely exist despite how odd it might seem from a production standpoint. With full square cuts (those with four square cut corners), there is also a difference between square cuts pulled directly from products, and NFS (Non Factory Cut), which were cut out from uncut sheets. And with halve square cuts (those with two square cut corners), the ones with two square cuts at either the top or bottom can also have two different causes: one a production error and one a packaging error. The second is almost always accompanied by crimps, which we’ll talk about later on.
  • Miscuts & off-centered: miscuts and off-centered cards are fairly similar. Both of them are basically cut uneven, or in some cases even at an angle. Miscuts are those where part of another card is visible, OR which are off-centered with a printing dot visible. Printing dots are in the corners of uncut sheets, as can for example be seen on this zoomed in uncut Machamp sheet, and since the corners of cards are always rounded, they should never be present on actual cards. If a card is off-centered, but has this printing dot visible at either the front, back, or both sides, it would still be considered a miscut by most people (including me). Although most grading companies would simply make the distinction between: “is another card visible? → miscut; if not → off-centered”.

Having explained that, let’s get right into it, starting of with some square cuts:

Here we have an English unlimited edition Neo Genesis Pikachu that’s square cut. This one is most likely a NFC.

Speaking of Neo Genesis NFC, I recently also added this partially 2x2 uncut sheet, including a Pikachu at the bottom-left. The other three Pokémon are the 55/11 Chinchou and 63/11 Ledyba at the top and 73/111 Slowpoke at the bottom-right.

Next we have two English XY Evolutions Pikachu, one which is square cut at the right-hand side and one at the left-hand side. I hope to add a full square cut version to my collection one day. :blush:

Next we have three more halve square cuts. The English Evolving Skies Pikachu is square cut at the top; the English SWSH061 Pikachu V promo is miscut right-to-left with a square cut left side; and the English McDonald’s Collection 2018 Pikachu is square cut at the left side as well.

Next we have a French Furious Fists Reverse Holo Pikachu with a single partially square cut corner at the bottom-right. Unfortunately, it’s was still partially cut off so isn’t a nice square cut corner, but it’s still not properly rounded as it should be.

Next we’re going to the actual miscuts. Starting with this rotated Italian SWSH061 Pikachu V promo.

Despite its weird shape, it’s still the same size as a regular card, as can be seen here when we put a regular card underneath it:

Next an English XY Pikachu which is miscut bottom-to-top, with the partial card visible above it being a blank filler:

Next three pretty big miscuts as well. Two WB promos that are miscut top-to-bottom. One with Dragonite visible (the only Dragonite in my Pikachu collection :stuck_out_tongue: ), and the other with a slither of purple visible, from the Mewtwo WB promo. And in the middle we have an English Unbroken Bonds Pikachu that’s miscut bottom-to-top, with a 51/214 Froakie above it based on the partial flavor text “… otherwise take when attacked.”.

Next some XY Evolutions Pikachu miscuts with other cards visible. The first is an English Reverse Holo with Magmar above it (the only Fire-Type Pokémon with Ken Sugimori as illustrator and with Uncommon rarity symbol); next to it an English non-holo with a Grass-Type Pokémon above it; and then a French non-holo with which is a shifted miscut, with a Fire-Type Pokémon at its bottom-left hand side.

Then we have an English Next Destinies and English Furious Fists Pikachu. Both of them are miscut top-to-bottom, and have a slither of the “Basic” Pokémon visible at the left side of the bottom edge.

Then we have my only Jumbo miscut card, which is another English SWSH061 Pikachu V promo, miscut top-to-bottom. (This Jumbo card is only miscut at the front, with a regular well-centered back.) You don’t see miscut Jumbo cards too often, so I was happy to add this to my collection last year.

Those were all the miscut cards with partially visible other cards. Next we go over the miscuts, or perhaps heavy off-centered cards, with printing dots visible. We start with some WotC era ones: an English Neo Genesis 1st edition Pikachu miscut top-to-bottom with a printing dot at the bottom-left; an English Gym Heroes unlimited edition Pikachu miscut right-to-left with a printing dot at the top-left; an English Base Set unlimited edition ©1999-2000 Pikachu miscut top-to-bottom with a printing dot visible at the bottom-left of the back of the card; an English WB Pikachu promo miscut right-to-left with a printing dot at the top-left; and a French WB Pikachu promo miscut bottom-to-top with a printing dot at the top-left as well.

And some from later eras: an English HGSS03 Holofoil Pikachu promo miscut top-to-bottom with a printing dot at the bottom-right of the back side of the card; an English Holofoil XY Pikachu miscut bottom-right to top-left with a printing dot visible at that top-left; an English Generations - Radiant Collection Holofoil full art Pikachu miscut left-to-right with a printing dot at the bottom-right; two English Burning Shadows Pikachu, one miscut left-to-right with a printing dot at the top-left of the back of the card and one miscut right-to-left with a printing dot at the bottom-left; an English Sword & Shield Pikachu miscut right-to-left with a printing dot at the top-left; and finally a SM248 Golden full art Pikachu & Zekrom GX promo miscut top-left to bottom-right with a printing dot visible at that bottom-right (this last one is also only miscut at the front, with a well-centered back).

And now we go over all the off-centered cards. Most of them are pretty minor, but some are actually more off-centered than some of the miscuts above, but because they lack a printing dot they’re still considered off-centered instead of miscut.
We start with some old Japanese cards: an Expansion Pack Pikachu off-centered left-to-right; a Flying Pikachu promo off-centered top-to-bottom; and an Ivy Pikachu off-centered bottom-right to top-left.

Next two English Base Set 2 Pikachu that are (heavy) off-centered top-to-bottom; a German EX Emerald Pikachu (with code 6MF) off-centered top-to-bottom; and a German EX Holon Phantoms 79/110 Pikachu off-centered right-to-left.

Then an English Next Destinies Pikachu off-centered top-to-bottom; a French Roaring Skies Pikachu off-centered top-to-bottom; and an English Legendary Treasures - Radiant Collection Pikachu off-centered right-to-left.

As for some more modern off-centered cards: an English Shining Legends Sequin Holofoil Pikachu off-centered left-to-right; an English Team Up 33/181 Pikachu & Zekrom GX off-centered right-to-left; a German 162/181 Pikachu & Zekrom GX off-centered bottom-left to top-right; two German Ash’s Pikachu promos (SM110 and SM114) both off-centered bottom-to-top; two Spanish Ash’s Pikachu promos (SM111 and SM114) both off-centered left-to-right; three English SM76 Holofoil promo Pikachu off-centered top-to-bottom, bottom-to-top, and left-to-right respectively; an Italian SWSH061 Pikachu V promo off-centered right-to-left; and a German SWSH061 Pikachu V promo off-centered top-left to bottom-right.

And the final two miscut/off-centered cards are both PSA-graded. A Korean Base Set Pikachu from the Pikachu World Collection 2000 that’s miscut bottom-to-top with print dot visible at the top-left and graded PSA-9(OC) (the tail stamp is at the correct position however, so it’s slightly higher than where it would be on a well-centered copy of this card); and an English Base Set 1st edition yellow cheeks Pikachu that’s off-centered bottom-to-top and graded PSA-7 (without qualifier).

Ink Misprints:

Next, we’re going over some ink-related misprints. This includes cards that were low on ink; ink lines/smudges; ink dots/hickeys; etc.

We start with an English SM194 Detective Pikachu promo, where the entire card is slighter in color. This probably happened because of uncut sheets being stacked before the ink was properly dried. When I bought this Pikachu, there were a bunch of similar Detective Pikachu promo cards available, most likely all from the same uncut sheet. (The regular Pikachu on the right is there for comparison purposes.)

Next we have two English Holon Phantoms Pikachu cards, which were both low on black ink, causing the texts to be grey. (The Pikachu cards on the right are there for comparison.)

Something similar happened with this English Celebrations Pikachu, where all the black ink appears grey as well:

Next we have the opposite. Instead of being low on ink causing black to appear grey, they’ve used too much ink of a certain color (magenta in this case), causing parts of the card that are supposed to be yellow to appear orange. Here both an English Shining Legends and Crimson Invasion Pikachu like that on the left, with the regular yellow versions on the right as comparison. (Minor note: the Italian Crimson Invasion Reverse Holo Pikachu are also orange like the cards on the left below; I’ve thus far been unable to find a corrected yellow version for this Italian Reverse Holo Pikachu however, so it seems all of those Italian cards have the same uncorrected misprint.)

Here we have an English Furious Fists Pikachu that wasn’t low on ink on the card itself or text, but on the Reverse Holofoil layer instead. As you can see, the lightning bolts on the Reverse Holo on the left are pretty vague, unlike the regular version on the right.

Next we go over some ink lines/smudges. The English unlimited edition Jungle Pikachu has a black ink smudge through its name; the French Pikachu World Collection 2000 Surfing Pikachu has a thin blue ink line anti-diagonally above its name; an English XY Evolutions Pikachu with a horizontal thin green ink line just above its flavor text, going all the way over the card and card borders; another English XY Evolutions Pikachu with a green ink smudge at the bottom border; an English SM76 Pikachu promo with black ink smudge all the way through the bottom; and an English Celebrations Pikachu with holofoil ink smudge horizontally at the bottom as well.

Next we have an English Reverse Holo Evolving Skies Pikachu with thirteen red ink hickeys at the top halve of the card. A big one can be partially seen at the top border; some can be seen in the picture itself; etc. Ink hickeys are caused by debris on the ink rollers, causing circles to appear on the cards. The well-known English “d” edition Jungle Butterfree misprint is an example of an ink hickey as well. Printer hickeys and dots are overall not too hard to find, but this is the first time I saw so many ink hickeys on the same card.

Next we have two English unlimited edition Base Set Pikachu with two different type of ink hickeys at the top part of the left border; an English SM76 Pikachu promo with blue ink scribbles at the top-left of the artwork; a Spanish Crimson Invasion Pikachu with a white ink hickey just above the first attack; and two SWSH039 Sequin Holofoil Pikachu promos, one with a black ink dot above the first attack and one with a red ink dot at the second attack. Loads of both red and black ink drop misprints can be found for this SWSH039 Sequin Holofoil Pikachu.

Next some ink dots that are so small they’re almost unnoticeable. Yet, they are noticeable enough for me wanting to replace them for a clean copy when I received them… The first is a Spanish Vivid Voltage 170/185 Pikachu V with a white/grey ink dot left of the 200 in the second attack; the second an Italian Unbroken Bonds Pikachu with a grey ink dot just below the attack (halfway between the Energy Symbols and “Pikasfera” text); an English unlimited edition Jungle Pikachu with a white ink dot in the bottom border at the right side just below the set number; and a Chinese Amazing Volt Tackle 114/100 Hyper Rare Pikachu with a grey ink dot below Pikachu’s mouth.

And finally we have some ink dots that aren’t on the front of the back, but on the back instead. We have a German Rising Rivals Pikachu with two light grey ink dots (one at the left of the “P” and one below the “M” in the top Pokémon); a Polish Pikachu World Collection 2010 Pikachu with a red ink hickey below the “N” in the top Pokémon; an English Vivid Voltage Hyper Rare Pikachu with black ink smudge going horizontally through the middle of the card; and a golden 25th anniversary Base Set Pikachu with golden ink at the top border.

Crimps:

Next we go over the crimped cards. This is not a production misprint, but a packaging misprint instead. This happens when a card is partially stuck when they seal the booster pack or the plastic of a sealed promo. Here we have some cards with the crimp at the top-border: a Japanese 097/XY-P Warm Pikachu; an English XY Evolutions Pikachu; an English Burning Shadows Pikachu; an English Evolving Skies Pikachu; and an Italian Celebrations Pikachu.

Next some cards with a similar crimp at the bottom of the card: two French Ash’s Pikachu (SM111 and SM112); and an English Celebrations Pikachu.

Here also two crimped sealed promos that are still in their seal, both of them crimped at the top. An English Roaring Skies Pikachu with Build-A-Bear Workshop stamp and an English WB Pikachu (where the Catch Mew! insert card has a crimp as well).

And here two very big crimps, both again at the top of the card. An Italian XY Evolutions Pikachu with the crimp even reaching the top part of the artwork; and an English Evolving Skies Pikachu going through the name and HP, where the top portion of the card is square cut where the booster pack was cut together with a portion of this card.

Holo Bleed:
Next we go over some holo bleed cards. Holo bleed refers to parts of the card that are supposed to be non-holo being holofoil. E.g. a regular Holofoil Rare card having holofoil all over the card. This happens when the white ink layer that determines which portions of the card should be holofoil and which shouldn’t be was low on ink (more info about the white ink layer in this video).

The first is my only Reverse Holo Pikachu with holo bleed, where the artwork is holofoil as well instead of just the ‘reverse’ portion. This is an English Generations Reverse Holo Pikachu.

Next some Cosmos Holofoil cards with holo bleed: two HGSS03 Pikachu promos, one English and one Italian; an English POP Series 5 12/17 Pikachu (with upside down back); a French POP Series 9 Pikachu; and an English SM76 Pikachu promo. Unfortunately, holo bleeds can be tricky to capture on camera when you try to do so for multiple cards at once, so it’s primarily visible on just the HGSS03 Pikachu promos in the picture below.

Here some McDonald’s Holofoil cards with holo bleed: an English McDonald’s Collection 2015; a French McDonald’s Collection 2016; an English McDonald’s Collection 2017; a Spanish Mcdonald’s Collection 2017; and an English McDonald’s Collection 2019.

Next two SM era Water Web Holofoil cards with holo bleed: an English Shining Legends Pikachu and an English Detective Pikachu from the Detective Pikachu mini set.

And finally two Sequin Holofoil Pikachu. These actually don’t have holo bleed, but something what I’d personally call ‘shadowing’. The holofoil pattern from the Sequin symbols are visible all over the card, even in the description and card borders. (Note: Sequin Holofoil cards almost always have ‘shadowing’, and it’s actually hard to find Sequin Holofoil cards without it.)

Albino / Sun-Bleached:

Next we go over some Albino cards. Although some legit misprinted examples of Albino-bordered cards are known, I personally don’t really consider these misprints, since it can very easily be replicated by the sun. When a (WotC era) card starts to discolor, first it becomes a bit lighter overall, with beige card borders. Then the card border become pinkish. Until finally the entire card starts to discolor, and the card borders being a lighter shade of beige. Here the Base Set Pikachu in various states of discoloration, with the very first being a regular non-discolored copy as comparison. (The bottom two were sun-bleached in a sunny country for about a year on purpose.)

Next the entire Pikachu World Collection 2000 nonet that someone stored in a place with sunlight shining through the windows for a few decades by accident.

Next the English Jungle Pikachu, with the first being a regular copy for comparison again; the second with only the bottom part of the card being discolored; the third being Albino-bordered; and the fourth being sun-bleached for a year on purpose again by the same person who did the two Base Set Pikachu cards above.

The same on purpose sun-bleaching applies to this English Neo Genesis Pikachu and WB Pikachu promo.

Next a Japanese sun-discolored card, the Flying Pikachu promo with plane.

And finally a Jumbo Base Set Pikachu with Albino borders.

Sealed Promos:

Here three misprints that doesn’t apply to the cards themselves, but to the sealed packaging instead. The first is as comparison of what it’s supposed to look like: the Pikachu WB promo; an Iron Giant insert card; and a “Collect All Four Cards In This Unique Pokémon Trading Card Game Series!” insert card. The first misprinted version in the middle of the picture is missing the second insert card, and the second misprinted version contains two Pikachu WB promos instead of one.

And there you have it. All misprinted/error Pikachu cards in my collection (minus two that are still incoming). :blush:

After this there is just one more ‘Pikachu around the World’ part left to do: all my altered/extended painted Pikachu cards, which I collected before, but kinda stopped two years ago to save money. In that final part I will also go over a few exceptions, like sealed or graded Pikachu cards that I also own raw, and things like that. But more about that later.

Greetz,
Quuador

15 Likes