Quuador's Collection - Spare book closet put to good use

Time for another ‘Pikachu around the World’ post. I will add the same quote again, which I’ll do for all parts:

The first three parts were Chinese (click here to go to that part); Dutch (click here to go to that part); and English (click here to go to that part).

Today, we have the fourth language: French. This is again one of the languages I don’t have complete yet unfortunately, but I recently found one (see the post above this one :blush: ) and am now just missing a single French Pikachu at time of writing to complete this language.

French:

Let me start with a picture of all French Pikachu cards again in my collection (minus one I added recently, which is the leaked McDonald’s Collection 2021 non-Holo). Right now I have 166 out of 167 French Pikachu cards in my possession, with just one left to find (the Base Set Jumbo that was given to attendees of a Belgium tournament).

Just like in the English part, I will only go over the actual Pikachu releases, instead of the entire history like I did with Dutch and Chinese. I will also not mention set numbers and alike, unless it’s a French-exclusive release, since those can already be read at the earlier English part.

The first set with French Pikachu cards was again the Base Set, in both 1st and unlimited edition. The French Base Set was released on November 18th, 1999.

On April 5th, 2000 the first Pokémon Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back (simply known as Pokémon, the Movie in French) came in cinemas in France, where the four promos including the #4 Pikachu were available.
This same French card is also released as a Glossy promo in the Japanese GOTTA Magazine volume of July 2000, released in June 2000. Why a French card was released in a Japanese magazine I’m still not sure… Below I also included the front and back of a sealed copy from my collection. The French texts translated to English state:

After that came the French Jungle set, released on July 1st, 2000, and again in both 1st and unlimited edition:

The #25 Birthday Pikachu promo was also released in French. How and when it was distributed I don’t know, though. Any information about this release is much appreciated. It’s definitely a lot harder to find than the English, Japanese, and Italian versions, but luckily not as tough as the German one (which I’m still missing in my collection at time of writing).

Next we had the Neo Genesis set in both 1st and unlimited edition, released in French on May 20th, 2001:

How and when the French #25 Flying, #28 Surfing, and #26 Pikachu cards were released I don’t know.
What I do know is that the #26 Pikachu is pretty rare in French, considering it was already selling for 100 USD on average back in 2016 when I acquired my copy.
The #28 Surfing Pikachu also had two different versions. One with copyright information “©1995, 96, 98 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK. ©1999-2000 Wizards”, and one with copyright information “©1995-2001 Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK”. Both are about equally as hard to find in French. The French #28 Surfing Pikachu was also part of the Pikachu World collection of 2000, released in Australia on September 13th, 2000 with a golden Pikachu tail stamp, as mentioned earlier in the English part.
Again, any information about these French promo release is much appreciated.

Then came the first e-Series set: Expedition Base Set, released in French on March 9th, 2003:

The Skyridge set was for some reason skipped in French, if we compare it to the English sets that contained a Pikachu.

So next we had the EX Sandstorm set, released in French on March 12th, 2004. Just like in English, the non-Holo Commons had three different codes (the same ones as in English).
The French EX Trainer Kit version was released on March 24th, 2006.

The EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua set, which surprisingly enough has the exact same set name in French, was released on February 15th, 2005.

Some of the POP Series were also released in French, with the POP Series 2 containing a Pikachu. I’m not sure about the French release date for this mini set (the French pokepedia website incorrectly mentions the exact same release dates as the English releases on the French POP Series pages).

The next Pikachu is from the French EX FireRed & LeafGreen set, again with three different codes like in English. This French set was released on November 10th, 2005. (NOTE: the linked pokepedia website incorrectly swapped the order of the EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua and EX FireRed LeafGreen sets. Based on pokecardex.com however, the release date of the French EX FireRed & LeafGreen set is November 10th, 2005 instead of 2004. Pokepedia most likely made this mistake due to the copyright dates on the cards, which seems to incorrectly be ©2004 for the EX FireRed & LeafGreen cards, and ©2005 for the EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua cards. This ©2004 copyright date on the French EX FireRed & LeafGreen cards is most likely an uncorrected error.)

Next we had the EX Emerald set, released in French on August 26th, 2005, again with a Reverse Holofoil, and three non-Holo Commons with the same codes as in English.
In French, an additional version of this card was released, which is a non-Holo version with a green set logo in the artwork. According to the Miscellaneous Promotional cards page on Bulbapedia, these were released as part of a Toys “R” Us Aurora Ticket promotion. AuroraTicket was an event associated with the Pokémon FireRed LeafGreen and Emerald Gameboy games. Two of these AuroraTicket events were held in France: one for the Pokémon Masters 2005 on September 17th and 18th, 2005, and one for Toys “R” Us stores on Saturdays September 24th, October 1st, and October 8th, 2005, which is where you would receive this stamped Pikachu card.

The POP Series 4 was also released in French. Just like with the POP Series 2, I’m not sure about the French release date for this mini set.
A Holofoil version of this Pikachu was just like in English released in EX Dragon Frontiers Two pack Blisters (not sure when those were released in French).

The next set that contained a Pikachu card was the EX Legend Maker set, which was a box topper Secret Rare. This French set was released on September 1st, 2006.

We then had the EX Holon Phantoms set, containing three Pikachu cards including the Gold Star Ultra Rare. This French set was released on November 19th, 2006.

Then we had EX Power Keepers, released in French on August 24th, 2007:

After that came the DP era, with the Mysterious Treasures set being the first to contain a Pikachu, released in French on February 15th, 2008:

The DP16 Pikachu promo was only released with the silver snowflake stamp, from the Countdown Calendar. This box in French was released in November 2008. This DP16 Pikachu wasn’t released without the snowflake stamp in French.

Then we had the Pikachu cards from the Majestic Dawn set, released in French on November 7th, 2008:

The POP Series 9 was not released in French, but the Pikachu and some of the other POP Series 9 cards were available as Holofoil. I’m not sure on what date it was released, but the Pikachu came in three-pack blisters somewhere in 2009.

Next up we had Stormfront, with the French release being on May 15th, 2009:

Next up is the Platinum era, with Rising Rivals being the first to contain three Secret Rare Pikachu cards. This French set was released on November 6th, 2009.

Next we had the Supreme Victors set, released in French on February 11th, 2010:

The Arceus set was not released in French, so that Pikachu was skipped.

Next up is the first HeartGold & SoulSilver era set, by the same name. This set was released in French on May 5th, 2010.
The HGSS Trainer Kit - Raichu Half Deck (which contained two Pikachu cards with this same artwork) was released in French as well, on November 5th, 2010.

Simultaneously with the HeartGold & SoulSilver set, the French HGSS03 promo Pikachu was also released in Three and Two Pack blisters:

The Japanese (July 8th, 2010) and English (November 2010) Pikachu World Collections of 2010 contained a French Pikachu with an unique artwork as well.

After that came the Undaunted set, released in French on November 6th, 2010:

Then the Black & White era started, again with a set by the same name, which contained a Secret Rare Pikachu. This French set was released on May 25th, 2011.

Followed by the next set to contain a Pikachu: Next Destinies, released in French on March 24th, 2012.
This artwork was also released as McDonald’s Holofoil in the French exclusive McDonald’s Collection 2013, available between October 13th and November 26th, 2013.

Then we had the Boundaries Crossed set, released in French on February 16th, 2013:

Then came the XY era, with again a set by the same name. This set was released in French on February 22nd, 2014.
This artwork was also released as McDonald’s Holofoil in the McDonald’s Collection 2014, available in French from April 2nd, 2014.

The next set that contained Pikachu cards was Furious Fists, released in French on August 23rd, 2014:

We then had Roaring Skies, released in French on May 23rd, 2015.
This artwork was also released as McDonald’s Holofoil in both the McDonald’s Collections of 2015 and 2016, available from October 14th, 2015 and December 14th, 2016. The 2015 set was available before the English versions, which were available between November 27th and December 23rd, 2015.

Next we have BREAKthrough, released in French on November 7th, 2015:

The next set containing Pikachu cards was Generations, with both a Common and Radiant Collection Full Art. This French set was released on March 19th, 2016.
Just like in English, the regular version had Holofoil prints with both Toys “R” Us and 20th Anniversary stamps in French. The exact release dates of these two French promos I don’t know.

On April 6th, 2016 the Pikachu-EX Legendary Collection box was released in French, containing the XY84 Pikachu EX promo:

The XY Trainer Kit with Pikachu Libre Half Deck was also released in French, containing both a Holofoil and non-Holo version. This French Trainer Kit was released on April 30th, 2016.

A French exclusive Pikachu Box was released on October 18th, 2016, containing both a regular and Jumbo-sized version of the XY95 Pikachu. The Jumbo version of this artwork was only released in French.

Another regular-sized and Jumbo-sized Pikachu promo (XY124) was released in the Pikachu EX Red & Blue Collection box, released in French on September 17th, 2016:

The Pikachu EX promo with number XY174 was only released as regular-sized card in French, released inside the Battle Heart Tins. The Pikachu-EX Battle Heart Tin was released on November 6th, 2016 in French.

And the final Pikachu cards of the XY era of course came in the Evolutions set, with a reprint of the Base Set artwork, as well as the Flying and Surfing Pikachu artworks. This French set was released on November 19th, 2016.
The Shattered Glass Holofoil version from the Pikachu Power Theme Deck was also released in French, on the same date as the set itself: November 19th, 2016.

Next came the Sun & Moon era, with the SM Trainer Kit - Alolan Raichu Half Deck being the first to contain a Pikachu. This Trainer Kit was released in French on May 15th, 2017.
Just like in English, the SM86 Holofoil Promo of this same artwork was also released in French, inside Shining Legends Collector Chests, released in French on November 21st, 2017.

From July 6th, 2017, the 20th Pokémon Movie: I Choose You! was available in cinemas in France. Just like with the English release of the movie, the SM108 Ash’s Pikachu promo was given:

The first actual Sun & Moon set with a Pikachu was the Burning Shadows set, released in French on August 19th, 2017.
This artwork was also featured in a French exclusive 40-card McDonald’s set in 2018, available between June 13th and July 10th, 2018. This French exclusive McDonald’s set had four non-Holo cards, and 40 McDonald’s Reverse Holo cards, including this 17/40 Pikachu.

Next we have the Shining Legends set. This French set was released on October 6th, 2017, on the same day as its English release.
Just like the English version, this card has a lot of different variations. There is the Shattered Glass Holofoil version from the Let’s Play, Pikachu Theme Deck, released in French on August 2nd, 2019.
The Holofoil version from the Shining Legends Special Collection - Raichu GX box, released on January 5th, 2018.
Another French exclusive 40-card McDonald’s set from 2019, available from October 30th, 2019. This set again contained 40 non-Holo cards, as well as 40 McDonald’s Holofoil cards (so not McDonald’s Reverse Holos like the previous year). The Pikachu had number 20/40.
And a McDonald’s Holofoil 6/12 Pikachu was also released in French. This card was exclusively released in the French-speaking parts of Canada and Belgium, and was never released in France. This Pikachu comes from the McDonald’s Collection 2019 as well, although I’m not sure about its release dates in Canada/Belgium.

A day later on October 7th, 2017 the Shining Legends Pin Collections were released, of which the Pikachu box contained the SM76 promo Pikachu:

On October 11th, 2017 the McDonald’s Collection 2017 set was released in French, containing the McDonald’s Holofoil Pikachu with number 5/12:

Next we had Crimson Invasion, released in French on November 4th, 2017.
A McDonald’s Holofoil version was also released in the McDonald’s Collection 2018, only available again in the French-speaking parts of Canada and Belgium. I’m again not sure about the exact release date for those.

On November 24th, 2017, the French version of the Shining Legends Super-Premium Collection box was released, containing the SM81 Pikachu promo:

Starting from March 13th, 2018, the SM109-SM114 Ash’s Pikachu promos were given when spending at least 20 euros on Pokémon products at certain stores. For France, these stores included: Picwic; Toys “R” Us; King Jouet; Maxi Toys; Cultura; and JouéClub.

On November 5th, 2018 the Pikachu & Eevee Poké Ball Collection box was released in French, containing the SM157 Pikachu promos:

Next we had the Team Up set, with the three Pikachu & Zekrom GX cards. This set was released in French on February 1st, 2019, the same day as the English set.

The SM168 Pikachu & Zekrom GX promo card was also released in French in Tag Team Tins. I’m not sure on what dates these tins were released in French.

The Detective Pikachu mini set was released in French on April 15th, 2019, in between its English (April 5th, 2019) and Japanese (April 26th, 2019) releases.

On that same day, April 15th, 2019, the Detective Pikachu Case File and Detective Pikachu Special Case File boxes were released, containing the SM194 Detective Pikachu promo:

Next we have Unbroken Bonds, released in French on May 3rd, 2019, again on the same day as the English set.

On May 8th, 2019, the Detective Pikachu movie was released in cinemas in France. People received a non-stamped Holofoil SM190 Detective Pikachu promo when visiting.
A stamped version was released inside special versions of the French Detective Pikachu movie DVDs and Blu-Rays, only sold at E.Leclerc stores in France. Both the DVDs and Blu-Rays were released with an error however, since instead of the intended French copies, it could contain English, German, French, and Italian copies at random. Since these special editions were only sold at a single type of store, and because of this error, this stamped French SM190 Detective Pikachu promo took me quite a while find, and is probably one of the rarest French Pikachu cards, despite it being a pretty recent release. Eventually I was able to buy my copy from an Italian seller, so I’m pretty sure the Italian versions of these special DVDs and Blu-Rays contained the same four languages of this stamped promo at random. The English and German versions of these DVDs and Blu-Rays contained the intended languages, so those are pretty common to find.

Followed by the two Pikachu cards from the Unified Minds set, released in French on August 2nd, 2019 (again on the same day as the English set):

Then we had the Hidden Fates set of August 23rd, 2019 (again on the same date as the English set).
This artwork also had four cards in the Battle Academy box, which was released in French on July 31st, 2020 (also the same day as the English box).

On that same day, August 23rd, 2019, the Detective Pikachu On The Case Figure Collection was also released in French, containing the SM170 Detective Pikachu promo with movie stamp. A version without this stamp wasn’t made in French.

Then we had the Cosmic Eclipse set, with both a Common and Character Secret Rare Pikachu. This French set was released on November 1st, 2019, again matching the English release date:

Simultaneously, on November 1st, 2019, the Pikachu-GX & Eevee-GX Special Collection box was released, containing a regular-sized SM232 Ultra Rare promo Pikachu and SM234 Pikachu promo, as well as a Jumbo-sized version of the Ultra Rare:

On November 27th, 2019, the Fall 2019 Collector Chest was released in French, containing the SM227 Pikachu promo:

Followed by the first Sword & Shield era set, by the same name. This French set was just like the English version released on February 7th, 2020:

On June 26th, 2020, the Sword & Shield Figure Collection was released in French, containing the Pikachu Full Art promo with number SWSH020:

The SWSH039 Pikachu promo was also released in French in Darkness Ablaze Blisters. I’m not sure on what dates these blisters were released in French.

Similarly, the SWSH063 Pikachu V promo was also released in V Power Tins like in English, but I again don’t know the release date they were released on in French.

In France, a French-exclusive Umbreon & Darkrai GX Box was released on September 15th, 2020, which also contained the SM162 Pikachu promo from the Sun & Moon era:

Followed by the packed Vivid Voltage set with the four Pikachu V/Vmax Ultra/Secret Rare cards. This set was released in both French and English on November 13th, 2020.

And the final French Pikachu card, which hasn’t even been released yet, but was accidently leaked in US Vivid Voltage packs, is the McDonald’s Collection 2021 non-Holo version with number 25/25. This Pikachu has the same artwork as the Hidden Fates Pikachu. This McDonald’s set is already released in English from February 9th, 2021, but not yet in other languages at time of writing. This French card was along with some of the other non-Holo McDonald’s cards (I’ve seen Pikachu; Charmander; Treecko; Piplup; Froakie; and Grookey) accidently leaked in English Vivid Voltage packs that were released in the US, most likely intended to be an upcoming French-Canadian release. This French Pikachu card was therefore available from the same date as the Vivid Voltage set: November 13th, 2020.

And there you have it. All officially released French Pikachu cards that I have in my collection.

The only French Pikachu card currently missing is a Shadowless Base Set Jumbo version with weird colors that almost looks fake, given exclusively at a Belgium tournament somewhere in 2000 or 2001. Unfortunately that’s about all the information I have about it. If anyone has any more information about this card, or better yet: know where I can buy it for my collection to finish of the French part of my Pikachu collection, please let me know.

Greetz,
Quuador

17 Likes