Omanyte
Omastar
Kabuto
Kabutops
Aerodactyl
Snorlax
Articuno

4 Likes

Pinsir: Japanese Vending Machine Series 1 (Blue)
Tauros: Legends Awakened 74/146
Magikarp: Japanese Tamamushi University promo / Pokémon Web 035/048 (with the Giovanni’s Magikarp and Shining Magikarp being a close second/third)
Gyarados: Neo Revelations 65/64 (hands down, even though Gyarados has a lot of amazing artworks)
Lapras: BREAKpoint 28/122
Ditto: Fossil 18/62
Eevee: BW97 promo (it was very hard to pick a single Eevee artwork, since it has so many amazing ones. I picked this mainly because of the running pose of Eevee itself, and the background and Pikachu are a nice bonus. Some other amazing Eevee artworks to consider were: WotC 11 promo; Majestic Dawn 62/100; Legendary Treasures Radiant Collection RC14/RC25; Ultra Prism 105/156; Hidden Fates 48/68; SM235 promo; 371/SM-P promo.)
Vaporeon: Neo Destiny 52/105
Jolteon: Jungle 4/64 (with Light Jolteon being a close second)
Flareon: EX Power Keepers 100/108
Porygon: Triumphant 73/102
Omanyte: Fossil 52/62
Omastar: EX Sandstorm 19/100
Kabuto: Japanese Vending Machine Series 2 (Red)
Kabutops: EX Holon Phantoms 9/110 (although Kabutops has a lot of amazing artworks)
Aerodactyl: Japanese Vending Machine Series 2 (Red) (with Fates Collide 76/124 as second)
Snorlax: Rebel Clash 141/192 (Snorlax has a lot of great artworks, but for some reason I like this painting-like one the most. Love the background, pose, shadows, etc. The 100/144 hot spring Snorlax from Skyridge is a close second.)
Articuno: Articuno, Moltres, and Zapdos Jumbo promo (the legendary birds have a lot of great artworks, including multiple containing all three. Since Moltres has my favorite artwork of all TCG cards, I will use Articuno and Zapdos for two combined artworks which are my favorites.)

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

Here’s mine, gotta go back and do last week’s now. I never realized how many great artworks Lapras has!

5 Likes

scheeit

Eeveelutions and Lapras are pain to choose from :grin:

3 Likes

@azulryu ,@papafrankgod ,@pokemontrader ,@shizzlemetimbers what would your thoughts be if you could be kind to share?

3 Likes

It’s Giovanni’s Pinsir, fpphucyea. Great example of blending stock into actual scenery. Second coolest rare from the Gym series behind Snorlax, my first Gym rare I pulled and boy did the two sets grab my hype at the time. Mew and Snorlax are the best examples of a popular Genwunner that never gets tired upon repeat.

Tauros deserved better status in Gen 1 TCG. If you know anything about how much I love the use of autumn in Pokémon, that Tauros (Platinum - Arita) represents my passion.

Magikarp holds all three God card slots. Can’t go wrong with the Gigachad cooler then actual dragons rage sweeper of cities.

Classic Fossil Ditto all day. Psychedelic Masterpiece. I wonder if Nishida’s Venditto is based inside Unknown Dungeon, hmm? Match’s Ditto from Triumphant possibly also.

Better than it’s more mainstream counterpart, the JR Rally Eevee Promo non-holofoil centers the perfect Himeno trio that possibly inspired Neo Genesis Lugia’s background elemental concept. How the fuck am I on here and still don’t own this?

Sandstorm and Lighteons are all iconic classics. They are as separate pieces, contrary in style as a collective likewise with the SuGBimori (RIP), Dark (Arita), Kizuki and BW-Promos as a unity. When you match up the original trio with Himeno’s same generation source member included it’s raw, unbridled perfection.

The feels on Kenebuchi’s Porygon are strong. How can you deny it?

Honorable mentions with commentary: Himeno Jungle Pinsir. Pffuctyeh. KomiyaTauros (Unleashed) is gorgeous and so is the recent Darktauros Ablaze version by Dynamic. Blaine’s Tauros is perfect too except the rarity choice.

I’ll leave the GyaraKarp analysis to the professionals however, OOyama’s Wailord TTGX is special. Probably my favorite, perhaps Fan Club or OOyama or Fan Clubthe HGSS quality are obvious too.

As for that era, the Fukuda Lapras promo isn’t bad which is saying something since Fukuda and Saitou are two of the dryest, overrated artists. Kusube’s Lapraquapolis has a mystic shroud that resonates with Lapras’ myth which is where it’s ex surrounding holofoil border is one of the few ex’es to do it right. Yes, old school ex’es aren’t all that when rallied up in comparison to the whole picture. With Sugimori’s Blue Version/ CD Blastoise the Fossilapras gets me along the lines in revealing it’s subtle sharp teeth following from a rounded, friendly-looking face. Don’t ask lol, I just found that design choice to be secretly badass on the cute reptiles they are based upon.

Like the underused Kaiba Rare, was always fond of Sabrina’s Porygon’s stock BG use of cyber industrial.

As being Jurassic Park tributes, it was tragic Gen 2 didn’t follow extending the fossils up as having unironically solid cardographies across the board. They are treasures and if you were wondering what I was going to choose for them, you’re an idiot. Minus a small fraction they’re pretty much quality through and through. Case in point:
Not to mention Aerodactyl afaik is the first Pokémon to be the inspiration for an actual genus name.

Kimura’s Skylax is atmospheric supreme serene. The Eeveelax TTGX was the beginning of a yearned celebration to the legends in finally having Full Art time to shine.

The birds have the same situation presented as the original Eevee trio. When I got to Articuno’s page it was just meant to be. We all know how legendary aesthetically each three are and all owe debt to be in court by there majesty.

As always, for anyone who made it this far thank you for sticking around.
:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

That is possibly the best fact I have learnt for some time! I can’t believe this is the first time I’ve heard of it. Thank you for enlightening me. Worth sticking around for.

I actually followed the sources to that claim, and indeed Aerodactyl/Pokémon is quoted in the relevant academic paper:

*'Etymology

Aero = wind (Greek) + dactylus = finger (Greek), a common suffix in pterosaur names. The name derives from the Nintendo Pokémon Aerodactyl, a fantasy creature made up of a combination of different pterosaurian features.’

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4206445/*

3 Likes

This was hard, Tauros had an unexpected amount of great pieces to choose from. Magikarp - I love the ToysRus exclusive so much - shining angry boi just wanting to evolve already and cause chaos. I fell in love with the Shiny Eevee after opening a pack with it that now belongs to Rusted. Vaporeon - Himeno’s artwork accentuates the fin unlike any other artwork. Jolteon has a lot of crappy art but Dark Jolteon is breathtaking and the personification of its element. Porygon reminds me of the stories you would read in game about Slyph Co. Kabutops also had a lot of amazing artwork, but Kizuki’s Omanyte is probably my favorite of the Fossil bunch.

Choosing a Top Gyarados was torture. Ultimately, I could not pick between Base Gyarados and Shining Gyarados. Base Set’s perfect as a card, as a presentation of the Pokemon - suspended by nothing but it’s full might and rage, the artwork is solid, and no other card is as iconic for Gyarados as Base set by the talented Arita. My collection exists because of this card - it started it all. While Base Set Gyarados opened up my love for the Pokemon, Shining Gyarados paved the way to the rest of the collection after I opened it up from a pack all those years ago. A stunning and artful display of a story - depicted as a lost fisherman coming across what I presume is the Lake of Rage and discovery that the red-tailed beast is no mere legend or myth, but exists in reality. Gyarados has never looked as ferocious than in this card.

Some honorable mentions:

Gyarados Delta from EX Holon Phantoms - Stand aside, Gyarados Gold Star, the color depicted on this card is unreal - Gyarados has almost a ghostlike quality to his expression and I love the creepy look from it - being a fan of Psychic/Ghost types as well, this made for a wonderful aesthetic. It’s been a while since we’ve seen the full body submerged from the water and never has a card had its holo pattern complement the art as much as this card.

Gyarados from Ancient Origins Promo/Hiroshima Pokemon Center Promo - One of the best artworks and illustrations out there of Gyarados. Also the second card featuring a closed-mouth Gyarados after the HGSS English exclusive. I wish they went all in and just made this card a Full Art because this beast is gorgeous. This was one of the first cards I got openly excited about after dealing with so much 3D drivel from BREAKpoint.

3 Likes

hehe my pleasure. It surely does payoff if you can get the time to read the Bulbapedia Trivia for every pokémon or at least those you care about.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@kurtosisblakeinfini,

2 Likes

Lol Big Chungus

1 Like

Robbie The Rabbit on a day off.

Pinsir - Supreme Victors
Tauros - ex Crystal Guardians
Magikarp - Mysterious Treasures
Gyarados - ex Deoxys
Lapras - Sword and Shield
Ditto - ex Delta Species
Eevee - S-P Promo
Vaporeon - Amazing Volt Tackle
Jolteon - Hidden Fates

Flareon - ex Delta Species
Porygon - Triumphant
Omanyte - ex Sandstorm
Omastar - Neo Discovery
Kabuto - ex Holon Phantoms
Kabutops - Skyridge
Aerodactyl - Majestic Dawn
Snorlax - Rising Rivals
Articuno - T-Promo

This week’s hardest choice for me was LAPRAS!!! THERE WERE SO MANY BEAUTIFUL CARDS! ;A;
Was I the only one thinking that Omastar had some real… lackluster cards?

2 Likes