Venonat
Venomoth
Diglett
Dugtrio
Meowth
Persian
Psyduck

4 Likes

Pretty fun week overall. Ninetales proved to be the hardest by far, I think there were at least 5 choices I was debating between. I ended up going with the ex, but I gave serious thought to the expedition and aquapolis ones, there were a couple in the HGSS era too that were phenomenal. I just think the ex one stands out a ton, it’s probably my favourite artwork of the original exs.

Vileplume is one I want to give special attention to as well. Full arts are a staple of the hobby now and I would love to see another gym/vs/TRR set. I know they did double crisis in XY and that was decent! But I especially love the sets with gym leaders, those are some of my favourites and I think they showed that they can do it. There’s so many gym leaders/E4/Champions now as well that you could do multiple sets as well. One thing I do feel the modern era is lacking is uniqueness in terms of their sets as they kind of all blend together. I really enjoyed Cosmic Eclipse for that reason as I felt that the set had uniqueness to it (full art character cards). Would love to see them continue with it and bring a modern gym set into existence some day soon.

5 Likes

Everyone’s probably like “you didn’t choose Alolan Vulpix?!?” I think Alolan and Galarian forms should have their own categories as they look like completely different Pokemon, for PokeDex I would always put the normal form :blush:

5 Likes

@pokemontrader Your title should say #3 instead of #2.

And I will add mine after work tonight.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Meowth was especially tough. I had no clue there were so many great depictions of the little cat.

The Dugtrio stands out for me as being iconic as it reminds me of the Dugtrio that breaks through someone’s house in the original Red/Blue game.

5 Likes

Forgot about it yesterday, so I’ll just do it now instead:

Vulpix: Primal Clash 20/160
Ninetales: EX Dragon Frontiers 8/101
Jigglypuff: Great Encounters 72/106
Wigglytuff: Neo Destiny 54/105
Zubat: Team Rocket 70/82
Golbat: Unleashed 30/95
Oddish: Burning Shadows 4/147
Gloom: Unbroken Bonds 7/214
Vileplume: Cosmic Eclipse 221/236
Paras: HeartGold & SoulSilver 76/123
Parasect: Team Up 7/181 (none of the Parasect really stood out for me tbh)
Venonat: Gym Heroes 96/132
Venomoth: Gym Heroes 34/132
Diglett: EX Crystal Guardians 50/100
Dugtrio: Team Rocket 23/82
Meowth: Movie Commemoration Random Pack 017/022 (Meowth has a lot of great artworks, but when I think of Meowth I always think of Team Rocket’s Meowth from the anime, so this card is iconic for that reason)
Persian: Jungle 42/64
Psyduck: Triumphant 74/102 (the Munch promo is a very close second, though)

Greetz,
Quuador

5 Likes

Fuck. I pressed back on the wrong tab and lost what I’ve been making here up to Paras. Anyone know any options to recover reply drafts on specific pages on this site before I no longer cross my spoons (fingers)?

I’m not aware of any method unfortunately. Happened a few times to me as well. So annoying. The worst is when the proboards is briefly offline due to some errors or maintenance the moment you want to post a big post… :sweat: Clicking back by accident indeed resets your reply as well. :slightly_frowning_face:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

On the bright side of things. Redoing this has meant seeing favorites again. For a handful of 'mons on this chapter one could choose 2,3 or 9 or all of them.

Arita knows how to make forests look alive. Kinebuchi’s Jigglypuff is an acid trip from hell. Ninetales is the Gigastacy of Pokémon yaddayadda… Dark Wigglytuff (Tanaka) seems ahead of its time, having 90’s cartoon vibes transcending onto the modern Youtube animation scene.

Honorable mentions with commentary: Sugimori’s Leader Vulpixes. To have not one but several individual arts from a set containing stock after stock by the man really is something to be admired. Truly gorgeous cards that all had deserving for rare status but actually portray another ‘rarity’ by themselves. Ninetales has one of the strongest consistent cardographies ever made and its ex is the one to rule them all and with its eyes bind them. Legendary Reverse (Sugimori) and of course Dragon Frontiers δ (Kusajima) as well as the rest aren’t cursory at the slightest.

Unbroken Bondspuff (Yumi), Light Wigglytuff (Kimura). Hidden Legends (Harada) and Vending Kuzubet. Fossil (Himeno) and Skyridge Golmiyabat. Erika’s Oddish (Nishida), Jungle Gloom (Kinebuchi), Islands (Kimura), Dark (Himeno - that one was close, nice to see her still got it) and Undauntedplume (Arita). Paras has a couple of goodies (Harada HGSS, Himeno Neo) so was Sun & Moonsect (Yamaki). 5ban’s Phantomoth. Asobikata (Tanaka) is alright, I guess… Awesome insight @azulryu into DDtrio!

Surprised to not see TR’s Meowth (either) yet tbh. Ancient Origins Aritasian wowed me back indefinitely upon release. His cgi ex for Persian was one of his best on that format. There’s something special and classy about Sugimori’s Dark Persian. Gio’s Sugimorsian, always loved the pillars used, wonder nowadays if it’s a reference to the litter of strays in such cities?

The tag team Arita/Tanaka Slowpokeducks are solid. Sabrina has got a nice subtle background however, the PsyMunch is now what Pokémon cards are measured by.

Thanks to anyone taking the time out to give a care about my opinions about art.

[EDIT] It’s what I was expecting sadly @quuador but I always appreciate your gratitude.

5 Likes
Row 1 column 2 Row 1 column 3
Row 2 column 1 Row 2 column 2 Row 2 column 3
Row 3 column 1 Row 3 column 2 Row 3 column 3
Row 4 column 1 Row 4 column 2 Row 4 column 3
Row 1 column 1 Row 1 column 2 Row 1 column 3
Row 2 column 1 Row 2 column 2 Row 2 column 3

It’s so hard to choose just one card for each Pokemon! There are so many beautiful and unique artworks in each set.

3 Likes

Also a side note that I forgot to say on my actual artwork post is that to me Ninetales was the most difficult out of them all. So many good cards to choose from! Also I hadn’t realized it before but Meowth also has surprisingly good artworks for him too.

This is also a good way to notice some artworks I haven’t paid much attention for before :blush:

1 Like

@xzini, it’s one of the reasons why I love this idea (Thanks @pokemontrader!). I’ve thought about creating a Pokedex collection the last couple of years and since my TCG collection is almost at the end of its current road, it’s left some thought as to what I should do afterwards - one of which being creating a Pokedex collection. This only fuels that desire!

2 Likes

Ninetales was really hard to choose! I think Zubat had the least “diverse” pool to choose from this week but that’s hardly surprising.

I also struggled a bit with Jigglypuff because almost every Jigglypuff card is cute as hell. Well, all except this one which I find a little scary:

2 Likes

Vulpix - Aquapolis
Ninetales - Primal Clash
Jigglypuff - XY Base Set
Wigglytuff - Crimson Invasion
Zubat - Unleashed
Golbat - Phantom Forces
Oddish - Boundaries Crossed
Gloom - Cosmic Eclipse
Vileplume - Gym Heroes

Paras - Neo Revelation
Parasect - Neo Revelation
Venonat - Vending Series
Venomoth - Janine’s Venomoth - VS Series 2001
Diglett - Sword & Shield
Dugtrio - Dark Dugtrio - Rocket
Meowth - Bulbasaur Deck (One of the only Meowth cards that wasn’t… “Team Rocket”-ified
Persian - ex FireRed LeafGreen
Psyduck - Aquapolis

Things I noticed this week - There is a surprisingly low amount of Paras-line and Venonat-line cards. Not many of these original Gen 1 pokemon have ultra rares… Probably because most of the lines are 2 pokemon instead of three… And there were so many Jigglypuff to choose from that were equally as cute!

4 Likes