Pokedex Artwork - Week #1 - 001 - 018 - July 5th, 2020

Hey Everyone!

Something I’ve been thinking about for many years now, is creating a pokedex binder filled with every Pokemon. The problem? I easily get overwhelmed by the sheer number of cards for each Pokemon. Have you ever looked at some of the Pokemon out there? Bulbasaur has a whopping 21 cards and he’s only number 001! With almost 900 Pokemon, you can see how it would get overwhelming to start a task like this.

I’m going to be trying a new project that I think will be quite enjoyable by all! If you stick with it, the results at the end will be remarkable!

This thread series will be similar to Sets of the Fortnight and Card of the Week, but not quite the same. Each week, I’ll try to determine which cards are my personal #1 choices for each artwork. The reason I’ve decided to do 18 a week is that it’ll be done in approximately one year from today, and 18 is 1 binder page front & back!

Feel free to join in with your own top 18 cards each week and we’ll see how much traction something like this gets!

Moderators please feel free to move this thread if you determine it is in a wrong location. I’ll be making a guide eventually to catalogue the journey once we are a few weeks into this. Just so we have hyperlinks to each section.

Have fun everyone!

This week is Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Squirtle, Wartortle, Blastoise, Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree, Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Pidgey, Pidgeotto & Pidgeot!

9 Likes

Bulbasaur - Secret Wonders
Ivysaur - Supreme Victors
Venusaur - Venusaur EX Red & Blue Collection
Charmander - ex FireRed & LeafGreen
Charmeleon - Arceus
Charizard - Blackstar Promo
Squirtle - Boundaries Crossed
Wartortle - ex Crystal Guardians
Blastoise - Platinum

Caterpie - Sun & Moon
Metapod - Vending Series
Butterfree - Supreme Victors
Weedle - ex FireRed & LeafGreen
Kakuna - XY
Beedrill - ex FireRed & LeafGreen
Pidgey - Secret Wonders
Pidgeotto - Theater Limited VS Pack
Pidgeot - Sun & Moon Team Up

10 Likes

I love this idea so much! Here are mine. I’m sure this is going to be very difficult with some Pokemon choosing just one! :blush:

30%

6 Likes

Nice idea! (And thanks for reminding me I should post a new Set of Fortnight :wink: ).
Here are my favorite artworks for each of the Pokémon for this week:

Bulbasaur: EX Team Aqua vs Team Magma 39/95
Ivysaur: Intro Pack - Bulbasaur Deck #22
Venusaur: XY123 Promo
Charmander: EX Dragon 98/97
Charmeleon: Team Rocket 32/82
Charizard: EX Dragon Frontiers 100/101 (Gold Star)
Squirtle: EX FireRed & LeafGreen 83/112
Wartortle: Southern Island 15/18
Blastoise: EX Crystal Guardians 14/100
Caterpie: Rebel Clash 001/192
Metapod: EX FireRed & LeafGreen 39/112
Butterfree: Jungle 33/64
Weedle: Base Set 69/102
Kakuna: Vending Machine Series 1 - Blue
Beedril: XY 5/146
Pidgey: Gym Challenge 49/132
Pidgeotto: Theater Limited VS Pack 010/018
Pidgeot: Movie Commemoration VS Pack: Aura’s Lucario 006/020

Halve of the artworks can be found in my National Index collection, where I’ve used the favorite artwork of the cards I already had. Since buying every single favorite artwork can be rather expensive for some cards, there are artworks I like more than the one I actually have in my national index collection. But with almost 900 Pokémon, and an additional few hundred cards due to Mega, Alolan, and shiny Pokémon; Pokémon forms (i.e. Unown alphabet); gender differences; artwork errors; and cosplay Pokémon, it quickly adds up in general without even worrying about favorite artworks yet. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

8 Likes

Wanted to catch up to this week’s entries so here’s my 1-18. Was kind of hard to find my favourites for each Pokemon, but I think my choices display my taste in artwork pretty clearly. I’ve got no art knowledge so excuse me on that front but I really enjoy seeing in nature/in their habitats. I also enjoy beautiful background artwork, which is something I really enjoy about Mitsuhiro Arita’s artwork as it seems like he does an excellent job with that.

The Charizard remains one of my top artworks of all time. I’m generally not a huge fan of Charizard or its artworks but this one has always been something I enjoyed and stood out to me as being a phenomenal card. Definitely really love the Blastoise as well, looking forward to buying a PSA 10 copy of it one day.

8 Likes

2 Likes

If someone could kindly show me how to readjust the size of the urls in order for them to sync that would be appreciated. Otherwise, enjoy the Jumbos to some of this franchise’s best art.

EDIT: Many thanks as always @quuador , it’s equal more on moble view compared to desktop. Kakuna’s got a solid cardography. Big Kahuna Arita vending and Erika’s Ivysaur were close second and is one of the best usages of a stock image.

5 Likes

@kurtosisblakeinfini You can switch to the BBCode tab when you’re editing your post, and there change all images from width="100%" to 33% or 25% (depending on how many you want to display next to one another).

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Sorry for the blast from the past. I really enjoyed the exercise so I thought I might as well share.

I had a hard time for most of them deciding between a top 2. Also very sad that the gameboy pidgeot never actually got printed. I love that illustration and wish it was on carddass or something. If anyone knows of any card that its on, lmk.

4 Likes

Yeah, I saw that in the post above yours and was like “whoa!! Gonna buy that card as soon as I see it!!” I feel like that pidgeot should have replaced the fearow from GB. Sorry to any lovers of the fearow art/artist.

Can’t believe no one did the mcdonalds promo squirtle

2 Likes

@krill, Haha I love mcdonalds squirtle! Your bulb, squirtle, pidgey, and pidgeotto were my #2 choices

1 Like

Wtf why does this have an anchor D:

2 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes