Pokedex Artwork - Week #7 - 109 - 126 - August 16th, 2020

Week #1
Week #2
Week #3
Week #4
Week #5
Week #6

Sorry for the delay, they were working on the internet last night and I couldn’t get online :slightly_frowning_face:

Koffing
Weezing
Rhyhorn
Rhydon
Chansey
Tangela
Kangaskhan
Horsea
Seadra

Goldeen
Seaking
Staryu
Starmie
Mr. Mime
Sycther
Jynx
Electabuzz
Magmar

2 Likes

Kangaskhan was surprisingly difficult, there were 3 other cards that I could have chosen

3 Likes

Koga’s Weezing is more of a sedimental pick. First Gym Card I saw from a mate in person and it wowed me by how much it was packing to my then sheltered eyes.

Went for Nishida? _____'s Chansey eye-catching egg paradox for being a place in time more so than the image itself. Chansey is one of those 'mons you appreciate it’s a symbol much more over time similar to Cubone as it represents nonjudgemental neutral equality.

Kuzuki’s Wu-TangClangela solely because of autumn. Kangaskhan? C’mon. Being the sole Pokémon with the Pocket Monsters Game ball logo, that card is why this forum exists and is the counterpart card to Charizard’s cultural reverence. For a long time after Kangaskhan was shafted until she turned from being a Champion’s Trophy into the mega beatdown, myth breaking absolute khanate druggo format ruling, trophy collecting champion. I knew all along about her potential as a silent giant at the time of its unused underrepresentation. Blaine’s Tauros and Kangaskhan received Uncommon meanwhile Misty’s Tentacool and Goldeen received Rare. Let that sink in.

Honorable mentions with commentary: Base Koff is super close and super nostalgic. All of its cards during the golden era are solid psychedelia abstractions, masterpieces to an extent, to which Koffing as a standard example shows how truly high the consistency in individual quality was at the time. Akin to lower-rated monsters in Yu-Gi-Oh or like with Clefairy, Eevee and Pichu having big rarities it would be a fun idea for Pokémon to revisit. So for example Koffing destructs on command and leaves status fallout. Tokiya’s Weezing was the best thing to come out of Evolutions *tee-hee-oooooh fuck. Wait? Ooyama finally tapped into Weezing on a set called Double Blaze? oh man… The recent Galarian by Arita is fucking funny.

Wu-Tangela be packing. Kusube’s EX Legend WuMakela was close along with Base. Arita’s second (Arceus) is a prime example of his shift of focus into trees boasting satisfying detail and some of the better recent cards are of his in such scenes (Mimikyu, Varg Fletchinder, Dartrix).

Komiya’s Horsea is awesome. Wow someone complimented Horsea.

lel Staryu are depicted as urgent shurikens in anime yet on TCG are pictured high as a kite.

Mr. Mime is difficult for the wrong reasons and poignant too. 2 futhermucking ex slots in the same set over the og and the fact we got shit for Mr. Rime over the badass Venezian masked jester Kefka prototype…

All of Sugimori’s Scythes have great dynamic choice in expressing the background. The more I think about Scyther and Scizor the more I lean to preferring it as a parallel solo so they can four-way alongside Pinsiracross. Scizor is technically only mantis in name but all metal in nature.

Sugimori’s super nostaltabuzzes are all damn good. Except for boring ass Gym Heroes’ non-holofoil.

Magmar… The artwork and appearances. The Pennywise clown molten filled horn infested, destroyer of islands demon warrior that not even Team Rocket could corrupt deserved equal rarity prestige.

Smfmh.

3 Likes

One scary realization I’ve just got is how many of Magmar’s art features it chilling around a beach during great weather. It’s as if it’s matchstick outcome of Cinnabar is just waiting to happen…

I was away on vacation, but now that I’m back here are mine for week 7:

Koffing: Cosmic Eclipse 243/236
Weezing: Fates Collide 28/124
Rhyhorn: Jungle 61/64
Rhydon: Skyridge 29/144 (with the Unbroken Bonds 94/214 Rhydon with Giovanni in the background as close second)
Chansey: My Deck Memo Card - Japanese Fan Club Magazine Vol. 2 (with the Japanese Challenge from the Darkness _____'s Chansey as close second)
Tangela: Call of Legends 72/95
Kangaskhan: Plasma Blast 71/101
Horsea: Primal Clash 30/160
Seadra: Burning Shadows 30/147
Goldeen: Sword & Shield 046/202
Seaking: Jungle 46/64
Staryu: HeartGold & SoulSilver 84/123 (fun fact: the Base Set and XY Evolutions Staryu’s have a slightly different artwork)
Starmie: HeartGold & SoulSilver 53/123
Mr. Mime: XY 91/146
Scyther: Boundaries Crossed 7/149 (although this one is my favorite, Scyther has so many amazing artworks!)
Jynx: Japanese Vending Machine Series 2 (Red)
Electabuzz: EX Ruby & Sapphire 97/109 (although Electabuzz has a few pretty nice artwork as well)
Magmar: Japanese Bastiodon the Defender Half Deck

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

I need to try and catch up! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Row 1 column 1 Row 1 column 2
Row 2 column 1 Row 2 column 2 Row 2 column 3
Row 3 column 1 Row 3 column 2 Row 3 column 3
Row 4 column 1 Row 4 column 2 Row 4 column 3
Row 5 column 1 Row 5 column 2 Row 5 column 3
Row 6 column 1 Row 6 column 2 Row 6 column 3
5 Likes

Koffing - Cosmic Eclipse
Weezing - ex Team Rocket Returns
Rhyhorn - Diamond and Pearl
Rhydon - Unbroken Bonds
Chansey - HeartGold and SoulSilver
Tangela - Lost Thunder
Kangaskhan - Triumphant
Horsea - Aquapolis
Seadra - ex Team Rocket Returns

Goldeen - Supreme Victors
Seaking - Neo Revelations
Staryu - Next Destinies
Starmie - Legends Awakened
Mr. Mime - Hidden Fates
Scyther - ex Unseen Forces
Jynx - Aquapolis
Electabuzz - ex Sandstorm
Magmar - Ultra Prism

Things I noticed about this week —

Tangela has an unusual number of cards but all of them in my opinion are subpar. Sugimori is the only one that depicts it in a way that is… Creature-like? The rest of the artists seem to make the tangles very vine like instead of part of the creature, vines second? I don’t know how to explain it. The Goldeen-line… Seriously??? I don’t know if my tastes are different than others but I found almost all their cards absolutely horrid looking…

I had a hard time picking pokemon like Chansey, Electabuzz, and Magmar… So much good art!!

I can’t wait to finally finish the backlog of gen 1 pokemon to stop needing to look through pages and pages of artwork lol

2 Likes