Japanese Teach/Tryout Sets

EDIT August 31, 2019: Finally updated to a proper article, adding all information provided by @hayo . I’ve added some missing information in red, so if anyone could provide that, it would be much appreciated.

As far as I’m aware there are six different Teach/Tryout Sets: from 2000, 2008, 2009, and three from 2011. Let me start by saying that I’m not 100% sure about these years. Some say the first set is from 1999, some say from 2000 (the copyright date of the poster is ©1995-1999). As for the other years, we can mostly look at the copyright dates, but even that isn’t completely right. The one from 2009 contains cards with a copyright date of ©2008 for example.

These sets were distributed to make kids familiar with the Pokémon TCG game, and give general information on how to play it. Attached are usually also the damage counter coins used during the game, and sometimes a mini playmat.

In Japan these are known as “Taiken Setto” (“Tryout Set”), whereas in the western world these cards are usually refereed to as Teach Sets.

Teach Set 2000

Here a picture of the full set in its original configuration:

This is probably the most well-known Teach Set. It consist of these 10 Teach Set cards above, all connected to one-another. Although rare, it does pop up on eBay every now and then. This set was released in April 2000, as insert in the May 2000 volume of the 学習幼稚園 (Learning Kindergarten) magazine:

Each of the cards have two energies of the same type beside the Pokémon itself (with the exclusion of the Water Energies and Grass Energies behind the Normal-type Pokémons Doduo and Sentret). The displayed cards came from various sets: Nidoran♂, Growlithe, Pikachu, and Doduo from the Expansion Pack; Bulbasaur 1, Jynx 37 and Squirtle 16 from the Intro Pack; Geodude from Mystery of the Fossils; and Sudowoodo and Sentret from Gold, Silver, to a New World….

This Teach Set came with a playmat and a poster, as you can see in these pictures from @ocghp 's and @majomaal 's collections:

Here is a close-up of the Pikachu from my personal collection:

The text below the cards explain what to do with the attacks, in a matter that’s easy to understand for kids (only using the hiragana alphabet, instead of a mixture of hiragana and katakana as is usually the case in Japanese texts). The text for the Pikachu is (thanks @nish for providing these translations):

Some close-ups of the poster and playmat can be found within the spoiler tags below, provided by @pichufan from his collection:

Spoiler

The sizes of these cards, as well as the other Teach Set cards in this article, can be found at the table near the bottom of this article. These Teach Set cards from 2000 are larger than a regular-sized TCG card, but smaller than a Jumbo-sized TCG card. They are also rather slim in comparison to cards with regular dimensions, as you can see in the picture above.
All these cards will have the old Japanese back.

Teach Set 2008

Here two pictures of the full set in its original configuration, still attached to the inside of the magazine:

And here is a close-up of the Pikachu from my personal collection again:

The text below the cards explain what to do with the attacks. For example, on the Shaymin the text within the red boundaries read: “Place two damage counters on the opponent.” and the text below that translates to “8 damage counters required to defeat.”. Thanks @wertercatt for providing these translations.

This Teach/Tryout Set of 2008 were included inside the Pokémon Fan Club Shogakukan Special volume 4 magazine, released on July 31st, 2008. Here a picture of both the front and back of this magazine (thanks to @neos for providing both these pictures, as well as the pictures of the cards inside the magazine, from his personal copy):

The background of the cards is a checkered yellow pattern. The cards displayed in this set are just like the Teach Set 2000 from various sets: Pikachu 024/092 and Magnemite 66/100 from the Intense Flight in the Destroyed Sky; Piplup from Space-Time Creation; Chimchar 56/100 and Croagunk 60/100 from Entry Pack '08; Meowth DPBP#057 from Temple of Anger; Shaymin 003/014 from Giratina vs Dialga Deck Kit; and Riolu from Heatran vs Regigigas Deck Kit.These cards are just slightly larger than regular sized TCG card (again, dimensions can be found in the table at the bottom of this article).
All these cards have the new Japanese back.

Teach Set 2009

Here a small picture of the cards from 2009 in their original configuration:

Here a larger picture of the cards from my personal collection:

And here two pictures of the information which came with it:

And of course a close-up of the Pikachu again:

As well as a side-by-side with the Pikachu of the previous 2008 Teach/Tryout Set Pikachu to see the color difference:

This set again consist of 8 cards. They were distributed around Fall 2009 in kindergartens for the Pokémon Smile School campaign, where a Pikachu would visit kindergartens to teach kids to have a fun time and good manners. Among some other goodies, the kids were given this Tryout set, again with additional playmat (source).

The background of the cards are dark yellow, with Energy symbols as pattern. The cards displayed in this set are: Piplup and Glameow from Space-Time Creation; Jirachi 066/090 and Luxray GL 029/090 from Bonds to the End of Time; Staraptor FB 080/100 from Beat of the Frontier; Eevee DPBP#157 from Moonlit Pursuit/Dawn Dash; Torchic from Galactic’s Conquest; Pikachu from Intense Flight in the Destroyed Sky. (The Jirachi, Luxray GL, and Staraptor FB were only available as Holofoil in their respective sets, but are non-Holo in this Teach Set.)

They have the same dimensions as the previous Teach Set 2008. And also the new Japanese back.

Teach Set March 1, 2011

Here again a picture of the full set in its original configuration:

And here a close-up of the (partial) Oshawott, which is the only card I have from this set in my personal collection.
NOTE: My Oshawott is trimmed/cut into this shape, which is why the back is also weirdly cut. Before I wasn’t aware of this, but after seeing the picture shown later in this post with the Snivy from this set, and three cards from another set, I realized my Oshawott was trimmed.

This set was distributed in (at least) two magazines in 2011: あんふぁん (Enfant), and 小学一年生 (Shougakkou Ichinensei). The former was a subscription-only magazine, not distributed in stores. While the latter was more widely available (source). The cards are also displayed at the cover of the April 2011 issue of Shougakkou Ichinensei (bottom right):

This set consists of 6 cards. The background of the cards are again a checkered yellowish pattern, but still different than the earlier mentioned checked yellowish pattern of the Teach Set 2008.

Unlike the previous Teach Sets, the artworks of these cards are unique and not found on any existing Pokémon TCG card. The Pokémon in this set are: Timburr; Litwick; Zorua; Oshawott; Snivy; and Tepig.

The sizes of the cards are slightly larger than a regular TCG card, but smaller than the Teach Set cards of 2008 and 2009 (again, see the table at the bottom for accurate dimensions). The back of the cards are again the new Japanese back.

Teach Set July 18, 2011

For this one I own the full set sealed in my personal collection. Here are some pictures of that below.

With again a close-up of the Pikachu:

This set was distributed starting July 18, 2011 in Denny’s restaurants. Customers with kids in primary school and younger could get this set, and play with them at the restaurant, as you can see here below (sources: source1; source2; source3).

What’s also interesting is that the advertisement artwork for Denny’s restaurants shows pictures of the previous Teach Set from March 1, 2011, instead of the actual Teach Set that was given. (Does anyone have a link to this advertisement? The link provided by @hayo links to this article instead.)

This set consists again of 6 cards. The background is a similar checkered yellowish pattern like the previous Teach Set, but with a slightly darker shade of yellow, as you can see when you compare the pictures of both sets.

Just like the previous set, the artworks used are completely unique. The Pokémon in this set are: Pikachu; Victini; Snivy; Tepig; Oshawott; and Scraggy.

The sizes are the same as the previous Teach Set, and although I can’t confirm it because I’d like to keep my set sealed, I’m positive they also have the new Japanese back.

Teach Set September 21, 2011

Here again a picture of the full set in its original configuration:

And here a semi-close-up of the Litwick, Zorua, and Oshawott, as well as the Snivy of the March 1, 2011 set, which I came across in an eBay auction:

These were distributed in the CoroCoro Comic magazine of November 2011 (released September 21, 2011). The full title of this Teach Set roughly translates to: “CoroCoro Ichiban’s Special Pokémon Card Game BW Tryout Set”. Here a picture of this magazine, which shows the cards at the front:

The cover states something along the lines of: “Wow! You can play right now with this 6-card set!! The Pokémon Card Game BW Tryout Set!”.

Just like with the advertisement of the Denny’s restaurant of the previous set, the advertisement of this Teach Set in the previous CoroCoro Comic magazine of October 2011 shows pictures of the Teach Set from March 1, 2011:

This set consists of the same 6 cards as the Teach Set from March 1, 2011, in again the same dimensions and configuration. The only difference is the background, which is green with a Pokéballs pattern.

Size comparison

Here one last picture as a size comparison of the sets, including a regular sized Pokémon TCG card and Jumbo sized Pokémon TCG card:

The Teach Set cards from 2000 are the largest of the Teach Set cards, but still smaller than Jumbo cards. They are also thinner in terms of their width vs height when we compare them to regular-size or Jumbo-sized TCG cards.
The Teach Set cards from 2008 and 2009 are slightly smaller, but still larger than regular sized Pokémon TCG cards.
The Teach Set cards from 2011 are also larger than regular sized Pokémon TCG cards, but smaller than those of 2008/2009.

Overview of all dimensions:

Card type Width (in mm) Height (in mm)
Regular-sized TCG card 63.0 87.0
Jumbo-sized TCG card 145.5 205.5
Teach Set 2000 86.5 142.5
Teach Sets 2008/2009 77.0 107.0
Teach Sets 2011 69.0 96.5

*So, that’s about all I know. I really want to thank @hayo for all the distribution and release date information provided, which is about 50% of the article. My original post of just pictures and basic information has now grown to an actual article thanks to all he’s provided!

If anyone could provide the missing information in red I would greatly appreciate it. Also, given how these are all distributed differently, it wouldn’t surprise me if more Teach/Tryout sets are perhaps out there, so if you find evidence of a Teach/Tryout Set missing from this article, let me know a.s.a.p. :blush:

Thanks for reading, and make sure to leave any feedback or additional information in the comments.

Greetz,
Quuador (Kevin)*

23 Likes

I like how there is a disclaimer that this isn’t an article yet. @quuador all of your posts are articles! :laughing:

13 Likes

Lol, this comment made my day. :laughing: Thanks a lot, Scott. I’m glad my posts are well-received. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Thanks Quuador for making this thread!
And good news: since last time I’ve been able to identify the source for one of the sheets! :grin: Here’s all the info I have to share :

The sets from 2009, 2010 and 2011 all have the title “Taiken Setto” (Tryout set) written on the sheet. Additionally, the green-background-with-pokéballs-pattern 2011 set is titled “Corocoro Ichiban’s Special Pokémon Card Game BW Tryout Set”, so I had guessed it came either from a Corocoro magazine or a Corocoro booth at some event. Since the theory was that this set was from 2011, I checked the covers of all 2011 Corocoro issues and found out that this sheet did indeed come from Corocoro Ichiban ; more exactly it was attached with the November 2011 issue:

The cover says something along the lines of “Wow! You can play right now with this 6-cards set!! The Pokémon Card Game BW Tryout Set!” Then there’s something about a lottery to win BW booster packs. So here you have it: this specific set was given to all kids who bought the November 2011 issue of Corocoro Ichiban, which was first released on September 21st 2011. Of course I’ve checked all the Japanese online stores I know for a copy of the magazine, but it looks like finding one with the Tryout set still attached is impossible.

Since this sheet explicitly mentions Corocoro while the other 2011 sheet and the 2010 sheet don’t, I’d assume these last two come from some other source. If we managed to find pictures of the 2008 and 2009 sheets showing the full title, we’d probably be able to guess whether or not they were also from Corocoro.

As a personal side note: for the past three years my girlfriend and I have been collecting all cards illustrated by Kanako Eo and thought we were done, so you can guess how exciting it was to find out there had actually been one more unlisted card somewhere out there all this time! It was in no database, official or unofficial, so it was kind of mystifying to find this exclusive artwork from our favorite illustrator :grin:

That’s all I have for now! I’m looking forward to hearing more from people in-the-know!

Update: I found a picture from a previous Corocoro Ichiban advertising the November 2011 issue. Interestingly, the preview of the Tryout set shows the check-pattern-background version of the cards, while the set featured on the November Issue cover (and presumably included inside) had the green pokéball background.

3 Likes

Found even more info : now I think I know where the “2010” set (not actually from 2010) came from, as well as the checked-background 2011 set and 2009 set. We’ll probably have to find better names for them though :wink:
For now I’ll call the set with Victiny the “Victiny Set”. The one with Zorua and a checker background will be the “Checker Zorua Set”, and the one with green background will be the “Green Zorua Set”. Finally, the 2009 set with darker background and red frames (including the Pikachu Quuador’s missing) shall be the “Red Frame Set”.

The Victiny Set seems to have been distributed starting July 18th 2011 in Denny’s restaurants to customers with kids in primary school or younger. Sources (in Japanese) : this collector’s blog postthis blogger’s recollection of a family outing, and this other blogger’s post.

What’s very interesting here is that the art in Denny’s restaurants advertising is from the Checker Zorua Set, but the picture of the family outing and the collector’s blog post show and mention, respectively, that the product actually distributed was different : apparently, the Victiny Set.

Now for the Checker Zorua Set : from what I’ve read in this Japanese blog post (same guy as above), this set was distributed in at least two magazines in 2011 : あんふぁん (Enfant), and 小学一年生 (Shougakkou Ichinensei). The former was a subscription-only magazine not distributed in stores, while the latter was more widely available. After having researched even further, I found the cards on the cover of the April 2011 issue of Shougakkou Ichinensei. Can you spot them? :stuck_out_tongue:

And last but not least, we have info on the Red Frame Set, thanks to this Japanese blog post.
The set was apparently distributed during the Pokémon Smile School events in Fall 2009, which had Pikachu visit kindergartens around Japan to give kids a fun time and teach them about good manners. Among other goodies given to kids was the Tryout set and accompanying playmat (the last picture shows the size and back of the cards compared to normal ones).

So, to sum it up:

Red Frame Set : distributed around Fall 2009 in kindergartens as part of the Pokémon Smile School campain

Checker Zorua Set: distributed on March 1st 2011 in Shougakkou Ichinensei’s April issue (plus other possible sources)

Victiny Set: distributed on July 18th in Denny’s restaurants, although advertising showed Checker Zorua designs

Green Zorua Set: distributed on September 21st 2011 in Corocoro Ichiban’s November issue

I think I’ve done my homework for today! :wink:
Now that I know where most of these come from, I understand why we’re not seeing more sets on the market…

3 Likes

Wow, really interesting! Never knew anything like this existed, good work!

I wonder though, given their interesting dimensions, are these officially licensed by WOTC or Nintendo?

Officially licensed yes (By Pokemon or Mediafactory). However not official tcg cards (not playable).

Good info here! I was unaware of any teach sets beyond the original one.

great read guys, I was in doubt whether I should buy the teach set but I didn’t know anything about it. Should’ve asked you @quuador sadly it’s gone now :slightly_frowning_face:

Wow, great info @hayo! Thanks a lot for your great research and sharing them here. Sometimes I wish I could read Japanese… :wink: Started learning it once, but it’s a bit too time-consuming, which I already lack unfortunately.

Nicely spotted about those Teach Set cards in the covers of those two magazines. I would definitely have missed that second one if I was skimming through covers…

Greetz,
Quuador

Fantastic article on some of my favorite Pokemon cards ever. Well done, @quuador!

1 Like

Oh, and thanks to @hayo for posting information about where the 2011 sets came from (even though it means I’ll no longer be able to buy up copies of those magazines for 500 yen each anymore)!

Oops, sorry if I leaked sone well-kept secret! But this forum is also about sharing knowledge, isn’t it? :wink:
Were you seriously buying copies at 500 yen a piece, though? I haven’t been able to find a single one yet! Plus I had a hard time finding proof of previous sales for these cards ; have you been hoarding them in a secret vault? :stuck_out_tongue:

No worries :slight_smile: It’s definitely a place to share knowledge.

A couple of years ago I was able to get a dozen copies for 500 yen each through a used-book seller near my home. For some reason, though, that particular Teach set doesn’t seem to be in very high demand. I don’t know why — I think the artwork is amazing. Maybe interest will increase as time goes by.

The only question I have is this: Is there a Mew one? (ಠ_ಠ)

I have 5 of the 6 cards from the 2011 set just missing the Zorua card. I got the cards in a bulk auction I won on YJ last year. I didn’t really know to much about them at the time and I just thought that they may have been similar to the 1999 early teach cards which I have seen before but never seen any later releases? Thanks for this great thread and shedding some light on where the cards actually came from :blush:

**I would post pics of them but not sure how to post on here? its asking for a url? any help how to post pics would be awesome :grin:

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Haven’t been active on the forum the last few days…

In this post I explain how to post pictures on E4. Hope that helps. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Bump. Does anyone know the release dates (and release source) for the Teach Sets of 2000 and 2008? Thanks to @hayo we have the release dates and information of the other four Teach Sets (again, thanks a lot for the amazing research you did, Antoine!). I will soon when I have some more time update the main post to incorporate the information found by @hayo. If anyone has any additional information of the first two sets I can also incorporate that into the post.

Or if someone discovered any other Teach Sets not mentioned yet I’m also eager to hear about it. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

what teach set is this that I own? i’ve never opened the packaging so never looked haha

No idea. I only recognize them from the front… Maybe if you have some better detailed pictures (especially of the part at the top-left) I might be able to deduct which one it is (although probably not).

Do you have pictures of the other side as well?

Greetz,
Quuador

no other pics, i’ll have to find them soon and take some decent pics