A variation of questions

1. Most likely overlooked. PS: Here is an article consisting of all censored cards including pictures.

2. I personally call it the ‘back of the card’, although I also hear the term ‘reverse’ pretty often. The three most commons ones are the old Japanese back (1996-2002); new Japanese back (2002-present); non-Japanese or English back (used by every other language, including English and German). The other type of backs are all special cases, of which most are only present on a select few cards.

3a. Sets and expansion means the same thing and are synonyms of one another. Here for example a list of all English main sets/releases. Edition is usually used in the context ‘1st edition’ or ‘unlimited edition’, where 1st edition cards will have a 1st edition symbol/stamp, and unlimited edition cards will lack this symbol.
3b. You’re kinda right, but here are all the English sets split into their own sub-category (apparently on Bulbapedia they are split by generation and series). The same can be seen for Japanese a bit lower on that same Bulbapedia page.

1. Promotional cards have loads of different sources. Some are given at events; some are given at the movie in the cinemas; some included in DVDs; some are part of blister packs, tins, pin collections, or other type of Pokémon card products; etc. etc.

2. The very first Pokémon TCG cards printed were the Glossy Pikachu & Jigglypuff glossy promos from the November 1996 CoroCoro Comic, released in October 1996. They are mentioned at the top of the Japanese Unnumbered Promotional cards 1996-2005 page on Bulbapedia. These were the first TCG cards. The very first Pokémon cards in general I’m not sure. I think that would be Topsun, which was released March 1997, but maybe another type of non-TCG cards came even before that. The Bandai Carddass (part 1 and 2) sets were released between Topsun and the TCG in September 1996.

3. You’re indeed right. I’m not sure what the official names are for some of the cards in between. I personally call the first two Full Art, the third Half Full Art, and the last two regular. But I don’t think there are official names for these.

4. No, the XY 17/146 Vivillon is unique in that regard. Would love to see some other cards like that, though. The Vivillons are one of my favorite cards in my National Index collection including all forms and Shiny Pokémon. :blush:

8a. They’re just called stamped cards, or cards with stamps, I guess. And usually when someone means a 1st edition stamp, they’ll explicitly state so I would assume.
8b. The Base Set has a few stamped cards, like the E3 Pikachu and PokéTour 1999 Pikachu. Both can be found in my Base Set Pikachu variations article.
8c. No, the stamped cards are only a few specific cards for various reasons. Sometimes due to a pre-release event, sometimes due to another special event or release. Most stamped cards are mentioned at the top of the set/expansion pages on Bulbapedia.
8d. I can’t think of any type of stamp which was included in ALL sets. The closest example are probably the pre-release cards, but some sets won’t have any pre-release stamped cards (Base Set does not for example, and none of the E-serie sets either). And there are also sets with multiple pre-release stamped cards for the same set. Here a list of all pre-release stamped cards btw, again from Bulbapedia.
8e. I can’t think of any example. Reverse Holo cards with stamps definitely exist, like the Burger King cards, but those are only available as Reverse Holo with stamp. Usually stamped cards are either non-Holo or a Holofoil Rare/Promo, though.

9b. Not entirely sure what you mean. Are you referring to the stamped EX era cards? The Reverse Holo cards of the EX era sets aren’t like the Reverse Holo of other sets. They’ll have a Holofoil artwork, and for some sets also a stamp at the bottom-left of the artwork indeed. The Reverse Holo variations of Holofoil Rares cards of these sets will have a golden name usually, to differentiate the Reverse Holo variation from the regular Holofoil Rare.
9c. No idea. In Yu-Gi-Oh I know how all the rarities are called which are on the entire card, but for Pokémon I dunno. I know there are those type of holofoil with stars, hearts, and one more I forgot (dots I think, but not sure). I personally just call them Starfoil and Heartfoil, but no idea what the official name of this holofoil pattern is tbh.

1. Yes. Those Rainbowy cards without any ridges are almost all fakes. They’re usually also from Chinese sellers. :wink: But if you have any doubts about the legitimacy of a specific card, feel free to ask advice here on the forum.

11a. See post above by @pkmnflyingmaster .
11b. Both Haunters are from the third (green) Vending Series set, and both were allowed to be send in to get the Masaki Gengar.

1. Do you have some pictures? The ones with an A could be the Yellow A Alternate artwork promos, but not sure which cards you mean with B and C.

2. Not sure, but Japanese promos almost always sell out pretty quickly, not just the Red’s Pikachu. A few years later some of those Japanese cards can be worth 10 times as much as they initially were. I doubt this would be the case with Red’s Pikachu, but you can see it with some limited released like the Mario/Luigi Cosplay Pikachus for example, which were 25-30 USD per box on release, and are now 200+ USD each (and still rising).

3. Unfortunately no. The most complete one for English (apart from Bulbapedia) I know is this one on reddit, which is updated every month. But even that one is missing quite a lot of variations, like 1st edition stamp variations, EX era codes, Teach Set cards (EDIT: scratch this one, these are Japanese exclusives, and the checklist is only English), etc. Would love to ever have one, but I doubt there ever will. I personally collect Pikachus in every language and variation (see the link in my signature below), but even I discover a new card everyone overlooked for the past 20 years every now and then. So to have a list of ALL existing cards would be close to impossible unfortunately. I think Bulbapedia for English and Japanese cards actually does a pretty good job, and most missing variations can be found in articles and threads here on the forum.

4. Here a link to the Mew GB page on Bulbapedia, where it states (and I quote): “This card was made exclusively for the Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy Color, never printed as an actual card in any language.:blush:

5. Not sure. Maybe Scott @smpratte can answer this. I do know you get notifications when someone posts in a thread you’ve bookmarked, and you can also see the bookmark icon next to the thread in the list of a forum section. But no idea if you can see a list of all threads you’ve bookmarked. I can’t find it, but maybe it is somewhere?

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and I hope this answers some of your questions. Took me about 20 minutes to answer all of them, haha.

Greetz,
Quuador

12 Likes