What's your most Recent Purchase? [Archive]

Newest addition for my promos around the world collection. :heart: It’s in rough shape but I still love it. :smile:

15 Likes

I don’t usually buy 7s but this one is one is very clean and the seller worked with me on the price. I’m very happy with it. Slotted this card in with its sister. :slight_smile:

I don’t ever see much about the “Toyota” campaign these cards are from. Does anyone know the details of that promotion? Did you have to go to a dealership or something, or was the promotion just sponsored by Toyota?

21 Likes

My “free” PWCC pickup.

21 Likes

Damn i think you beat me out on that one

1 Like

Iirc all visitors of participating Toyota dealers would get these two promos, and it ran from somewhere between October and December 1997 (don’t know the exact dates). That’s about all I know unfortunately.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

That’s all I know too.

But this is a very strange promotion, no? Obviously children do not buy cars, nor would they casually enter or visit a car dealership. The booklet that the cards were distributed in features characters from the anime. It’s strange that such a youth-oriented promotion would take place for such a long time at a very adult-oriented business.

It just seems like something is missing here. Maybe there isn’t. Maybe Toyota just wanted to bring families into dealerships and sell them cars. But what an odd approach.

I think it’s the same approach as ANA promotion. Toyota did it first, but it’s just literally trying to ride the wave with this new cultural phenomenon of Pokemon. I think this easily surpassed the ‘children only’ barrier in Japan and many companies wanted to promote themselves through Pokemon. TCG is probably just a small part of all the promotions.

Case in point for this promo, you just stand in line outside your nearest store and get the cards. Reports stated that on weekends some of the lines were extremely long.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Dads buy/repair cars I guess. :person_shrugging: The ANA airline promos also isn’t really targeted to kids, although I guess that’s more feasible in terms of family vacations.

EDIT: Ah, I see @mrbubbles also mentioned ANA just before my post. :slight_smile:

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Charmeleon Matchprint :fire:

26 Likes

Wow, thats beautiful!! And two illustrators are credited?! Never seen that before

2 Likes

Latest pick up. Can anyone guess whats different?

9 Likes

Newest addition, pop 7

13 Likes

:sweat_smile: …Sorry about that. Went pretty hard for it.

1 Like

Got some really cool cards recently :disguised_face:

31 Likes

Wow! Congrats those are really nice cards

1 Like

thank u!! im feeling good about them! shoutout to the giant deal thread for the snorlax :grin:

1 Like

That’s definitely a rare occurence. Higuchi Shinji is, much like the “Direc.” leads us to believe, a Japanese film director (among other job titles). He was also the storyboard artist for the 2003 movie “Pokémon: Jirachi — Wish Maker” which was pretty much the origin story of his involvement with the Pokémon TCG. He is - at least partially - involved in designing every single Legend Card we saw during the Pokémon HG/SS set. Not only do these Legend cards often have two artists credited as well, they have the names listed in both English AND Japanese, making them afaik the only cards to date to do so.

4 Likes

Thats super interesting! Thanks for sharing that information!! So, is he listed partially here because the card was illustrated by both people? Maybe one person organized how it would look, be framed, etc. And the other actually drew it?

This card makes me wish scizors shiny form was block

Some awesome cards on this thread. Outside of some random Japanese sealed, just picked up this beauty for a steal considering how clean this is. CGC 8.5s are the worst, but its a strong contender for a PSA 9. Always looking to buy the card, not the grade

27 Likes