What are your 2023 collection goals?

I usually never have anything super specific in mind besides the next big card I want to save up for and get out of the way. First was skyridge charizard and second was gold star rayquaza which I got a few months ago. The next big card I wanna force myself to save for is shining charizard. Other than that, continue to slowly work on all 30 sets I’m collecting :sweat_smile:.

Russian and Polish cards are the most difficult. I’ll keep an eye out when I randomly message sellers and people in Facebook groups :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

i would like to finish and progress my eevee collection
i ended up needing 3 english cards prior to the release of the POP pack promos at the end of the year. have managed to get 3 of the 16 so far, but my main goals this year are to get one or more of the 3 i need (1st edition neo umbreon, gold star umbreon and espeon)

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll keep in mind your typhlosion too!

1 Like

All new Scarlet violet SARs.

2 Likes

I remember posting in a thread like this last year where I had lofty goals before the economy dealt a beatdown, will definitely be another slow year ahead for me.

I would be very happy if come the end of the year I have-

Completed Crown Zenith GG set
Picked up a couple of Japanese base PSA 9
Picked up a couple of E-series (English or Japanese) PSA 9
Got some of my grading pile sent to PSA for less than $15CAD per card.

1 Like

My lgs got a couple Russian Ancient origins boxes randomly a while ago. Was your Yveltal that set?

1 Like

It was from BREAKthrough. Thanks for checking.

1 Like

My goal this year is to return to collecting for solely the enjoyment like I did pre-Covid and to ignore the investment aspect.

I want to cut down my collection to a few key cards.

4 Likes

Mid year bump. How is everyone doing on their goals?

2 Likes

I have achieved one of these and will likely not achieve any more. But PSA 9 gold star mew is now mine!

My revised goal for the year is to successfully buy cards from yhj or cardrush for the first time.

3 Likes

I have completed/am completing all of these goals, but I have not relaxed. If anything, this year has presented too many good deals with rare/niche cards popping up at the most unexpected of times. :melting_face:

I didn’t find the Wurmple, but I was able to pick up a sequential PSA 9 set, so that goal is as close to being completed as it can be.

For the rest of the year, I don’t think that I’ll go back to “relaxation mode,” unfortunately. I have made too much progress in new directions to stop now. :upside_down_face:

Here’s my update a little over halfway into the year

I completed the goal of obtaining more autographs (I was able to go to the last three regionals after I posted this).

I have sold many things from my past collections that I no longer needed or cared about. I still have some things to sell, but overall I’m close to finishing this goal.

My new goal is to get a full time job or at least a decent parttime job by the beginning of my last semester (Jan).

2 Likes

1./2: I have overdone this goal and am aiming to sell 90% of my collection/cards this year and more than intended in January as home ownership is in sight for 2024, so selling more gets me closer to that goal

3/4: No new releases for any Togepi line/Jirachi card yet lol. But I did expand my Jirachi collection to a master set as opposed to an each art set. Decided it’s not worth it at this time to expand my Togepi collection to JP master set as well

3.5: I have decided at this time to stop my artist collections for the time being. Not selling them, just stopping at the end of SWSH for now.

1. I have sent 2 submissions to a middleman this year and likely am going to try my own submission(s) by year end

2. Still on the fence of which side collections to keep and which to continuing liquidating for that daunting house down payment. Have already sold the Cynthia collection during the Waifu boom though. Likely just keeping my mini sets like Southern Islands and the gen 4 secret rares subsets

3. Have focused on other things for now.

NEW GOAL: I am near finishing a goal I set earlier this year of acquiring every single mainline Pokémon game, and that is my priority right now moreso than TCG, especially when I can workout trades on FB for cards I am selling.

1 Like

I did get a 1st Ed Charizard earlier in the year. A PSA 5 copy none the less, but it’s a strong 5 with an Arita sig, I couldn’t be happier! Got it mostly ‘under market’ at the time as I’ve seen a few 5s and lower BGS/CGC grades sell for at least 20-30% more than I paid in the past 2-3 months. Not sure if I bought the bottom or got lucky, 1 of the 2 I guess.

I did get a couple more Jungle/Fossil holos as well… just have some boring ones left (Venomoth, Muk, etc). Got all the big hitters out of the way there. Think I should have them by end of year or sooner I hope. I expect it will take me a few more years to finish off 1st Ed Base Set entirely.

I’ve definitely bought way more Japanese this year than I anticipated. Went on a bit of ‘binge’ recently with the 151 set and some others. After seeing my S&M Japanese cards blow up in price, I’ve become even more interested in Japanese lately. I also recently worked out a deal on a Masaki Gengar, super excited to get that.

2 Likes

All I want at the moment are two cards that are somewhat easy to get but finding the right price, & any cards that show a UFO or alien (not a Pokémon) in the artwork.

What I picture is that one day in the future more info will publicly get out, & someday it will be established (without a doubt) that aliens/UFO’s exist & are active, & one day people will look into the past to see what artworks out there, including TCG, will have UFO’s, etc. in their art, & a discussion (or investigation lol) might take place. Just as we do with renaissance paintings depicting what looks like UFO’s, why not Pokemon cards? That’s just my thing here with my collection. It’s a long term thing.

1 Like

lmao what?

2 Likes

I’m sure you know, in recent years, (3-4 years or so) Congress, & other entities, have been taking the UFO subject (mostly about technology & safety) on a more serious level, & admitting to such things happening.

Ultimately, because of ridicule, & the public not taking it seriously (although our government always has lol) this has been shed little light (or forced) until recent years, but here’s my thinking, all these people (well most) who were criticized for being crazy, or on drugs, blah blah blah, will slowly start to get their limeligh back, people will go back (if not already) & take a look again at these people who went on the news, or confessed on their death bed, about their encounters or information they knew.

Now, we have old renaissance paintings, 1500’s & so on, that depict UFO’s in the sky, some of them damn near resemble EXACTLY that, & so let’s say 1,000 years from now, when most things are destroyed, (maybe from age or war), people will look at artwork, or structures, or documents, that we have made in our era, & will see this as quite incredible to look at, or dig into. Being that Pokémon is so massive, 1,000 years from now people will also look at these ancient cards that we have now, & I’m assuming by 1,000 years we may already know plenty of these crafts, or the beings inside of them, & the Pokemon cards that depict UFO’s will be sought after as most important, rather than random art of a made up character on a grass field or a mountain.

That’s why I think books about UFO’s, or documentaries, etc etc. will increasingly have an uptick in popularity the more we know about this subject. I don’t think it will ever go backwards. Only time it will go backwards is if this whole thing was a lie & judging by history, claims, confessions & pictures/footage, released documents, & so on… I highly doubt it. All of that would win any case on the planet if taken to court.

2 Likes

okay

1 Like