What are your 2022 Pokemon collecting goals?

I always love these threads around the end of the year, so let’s revive the tradition! What are your goals for 2022, and did you meet your goals from 2021? Here’s the 2021 thread, extra points if you report on the goals you posted in that thread last year!

Personally, I met some of my goals from 2021 but not all:

I missed my goal to get to 50% of the PSA graded English ex set, but only barely. I’m currently at 48.2% so an increase of just 10% over the last year. For Japanese BW SR/UR, while I wasn’t able to submit 50-75% of the set thanks to PSA’s closure, I was able to make significant progress on obtaining the raw mint cards. I only have 34.7% of the full SR/UR set off at PSA or in PSA 10, but I have obtained almost all of the EX SR cards in mint condition. I’m only missing Keldeo, Heatran, Virizion, Dialga, and Palkia EX SRs in mint condition. I continued to go after the Japanese Lv. X, and thanks to a solid grading return I am 23.9% of the way to a full set-based PSA 10 Lv. X set. I’ve done well obtaining raw mint copies as well, so I think I will be able to pursue that set in 10s eventually. I achieved my stretch goal of obtaining a PSA 10 English Primal Groudon EX Full Art and also made some incredible acquisitions like the /1000 shiny L-P lottery promos, a PSA 10 Japanese Crystal Ho-Oh, a PSA 10 Rayquaza EX Full Art from Dragons Exalted, and some fantastic returns from my graded submissions. Overall an incredible and productive year of collecting!

Last year it was difficult to set goals because of the lack of certainty in graded card turnarounds, now it’s difficult to set goals because of the lack of certainty in when I can even submit cards for grading again. Regardless, let’s try to make something work.

• I’d like to get to 60% on my PSA graded ex set. I will need to refocus on buying these cards as prices seem to have stabilized a bit, but I definitely have to get back on the grind.

• I’d like to obtain all the remaining cards for the mint BW EX SR set and try to continue acquiring mint copies of the UR cards. Hopefully PSA will open up and I can get these submitted, but at minimum I’d like to be confident I have all the EX SRs in PSA 10 candidate condition. Also, I aim to have 80% of the Japanese Lv. X set acquired in PSA 10 candidate condition.

• Hopefully PSA will reopen and I can submit cards again. I have a massive personal backlog, and even if they don’t reopen bulk/value I would like to get several cards graded in 2022: my Lugia and Ho-Oh L-P promos, the couple Japanese gold stars I have, and maybe some of the “lower” value cards depending on what tiers PSA opens and at what prices.

• Just like last year, I’d also just generally like to keep buying cards I like. I’ve had a lot of fun expanding outside my normal collection pursuits this past year, and even if it’s made it harder to achieve some of my more concrete goals, I certainly wouldn’t change what I’ve done!

I have a few stretch goals which I’ll aim for, but are dependent on too many factors outside of my control for me to confidently aim on completing them next year:

• Obtain the /1000 BW-P Rayquaza and Giratina EX Full Art lottery promos

• Obtain 2-3 more PSA 10 English BW full arts

• Obtain a PSA 10 Charizard UR from Plasma Gale

Post your goals for 2022 and whether you completed your 2021 goals!!

28 Likes
  • 90% completion on a JPN/ENG Torchic collection (thanks for the inspiration @tapp)
  • Obtain HP/DMG versions of each of the Pikachu Ponchos, Munch promos, and a couple of other full art cards I have on my list
2 Likes

Continue picking up the 100+ Eeveelutions cards that come out each year. Adding more Japanese unlimited as I run across them. Continue selling off my doubles.
2022 in a nutshell.

2 Likes

Honestly? None. Just continue to buy cards I like.

I’ve learned not to set specific goals because so much can change within a calendar year.

16 Likes

Happy to see this thread! I didn’t remember commenting on the one last year but I guess I did with this:

Dec 14, 2020 23:00:47 GMT -5 trainerjack said:
To keep buying what I like and connecting with other collectors :grin:

I didn’t go too in depth I suppose since I was still fairly new to e4, but I am happy to say that I did what I set out to do and plan to do more going forward!

I want to go more in depth this year though. I am hopefully graduating college in the next few weeks and as such I will be entering the workforce soon after so with that in mind I’m very much looking forward to having a stable income that I can spend responsibly on cardboard! Here are some of my goals:

-Finish collecting all of the Dragon Frontiers exs in PSA 9(Currently I am at 8/10 with only Dragonite and Gardevoir missing)

-Fill out my Pokedex Binder through at least a gen or 2. This is a big binder that I have a card for all Pokémon and their corresponding forms in. I usually put in cards that are my favorite for the species or are just special for me. I am pretty casual about filling it out, and have most gens 3/4th completed, so it would be nice to have a couple gens done!

For bigger purchases of single cards I would like to get:

-PLAY Promo Mew 007 in PSA 9/10 grade depending on pricing at the time.
-Charizard EX Dragon National Championship Stamp in PSA 9

I don’t usually like to set deadlines on things for myself and since I don’t exactly know what my income will be I’m unsure of the feasibility of these goals, but I’ll be happy to try and see how I did next year :grin:

2 Likes

You beat me to making this thread!

I didn’t enter 2021 with clear-cut, written goals. I knew I wanted to start making binders with the anticipation of completing sets, build a NM-M binder of every BW holo, ultra, FA and SR, build modern sets and pick up some more e-series cards. I began the BW goal in fall of 2020, and it was by far my primary focus in 2021.

Before fall 2020 I had a whopping 12 BW cards in NM-M condition out of a total of 308 cards needed (excluding Radiant Collection). That works out to starting the goal at 3.9% complete. I had 2 holo/Ace Specs, 3 regular EX, 4 FA, and 3 SR. My current collection sits at these numbers:

93/165 BW holo/Ace Spec (56.36%)
31/56 BW regular EX (55.36%)
28/55 BW FA (50.91%)
15/32 BW Secret Rares (46.88%)
167/308 BW binder (54.22%)

I picked up a total of 155 unique cards for this binder between fall 2020 and now. It’s been a blast obtaining the cards friends and I chased during our childhood and teenage years. While I don’t have all of the biggest hitters (the biggest I’m missing would probably be Raikou FA, Rayquaza EX FA, Charizard SR, Empoleon SR) I was able to make significant progress and to my surprise pick up serious big hitters in NM-M condition at decent prices. Notably I already have Kyogre, Groudon, Darkrai, Mew, Lugia, Deoxys and Latias EX FAs, N, Skyla and Iris FAs, and Serperior, Rayquaza, and Blastoise SRs.

In 2022 and beyond of course I plan to continue picking up BW cards for this binder and I won’t stop until it’s complete. Next year at the very least I’d specifically like to pick up Raikou, Rayquaza, Giratina, Latios and Jirachi EX FAs, Juniper FA, and Charizard SR. Lots of big hitters, but I think it’s doable as long as I have the funds. Realistically, 2022 looks like it might be full of change and tough for me financially, so my goals might have to take a back seat to my life of course.

Another 2022 goal I want to set for myself is to complete at least two modern sets: Cosmic Eclipse and Darkness Ablaze. I’m 3 cards away from a DA complete set, so that goal is extremely doable. Cosmic Eclipse fully captured my attention in 2019. I got extremely lucky opening ETBs I had bought from my (now former) job, and now at the end of 2021 I am pretty close to finishing the set. I need all FA supporters minus Rosa, a few rainbows and FA GX, Pikachu CR, two gold items and a few odd reverse holos. Obviously this goal is largely dependent on how much money I’m able to spend on the hobby next year, so we’ll see how it goes.

A major collection piece I acquired in 2021 was a complete, mint set of Skyridge nonholos (missing Hyper Potion lol). I have probably about 30-40% of reverse holos in NM condition as well. If I’m able to significantly increase my funds for the hobby next year, I’d like to pick up some of the bigger holos, more reverses and maybe Crystal Kabutops. That’s a big IF though.

Of course, as 2022 modern sets release I will be building complete c/u/r/rh/V sets before the bulk cards sit in storage for too long. I did the same throughout 2021 for Rebel Clash - Fusion Strike and am currently finding difficulty in acquiring NM-pack fresh bulk reverses from mid-Sun/Moon to SwSh base. Speaking of, I made decent progress on Ultra Prism, Celestial Storm, Lost Thunder, and Team Up in the past couple months. I might try to complete Celestial Storm sooner than the others (I think its a beautiful homage to Hoenn).

I picked up a NM, near complete set of ex Legend Maker in June 2021 too. If I could even pick up 5 reverse holos and 1/3 gold stars amidst everything else I’m looking to buy, I’d be pretty satisfied.

My PIPE DREAM goal is to get a Rayquaza Gold Star in PSA7-8 to crack for my (eventual) ex Deoxys binder set. Though I don’t expect to do this unless I get extremely lucky and have extra cash.

Finally, I am working on a spreadsheet to track my collection progress. I plan on completing the technicalities of this spreadsheet and having most of my collection recorded before 2022, that way I can easily see the exact stats of my collection progress without having to pull out each binder. I was fine when I had <10 binders, but now that I’m sitting at over 20, I figured it was time to make a spreadsheet. In this same vein, I have the urge to build my Instagram to document my collection progress and goals in addition to collection threads on this forum…we’ll see what I do with that haha.

It’ll be fun to look back in a year and see how different my life has become or how similar it remained, and whether the goals I think are reasonable today actually become unreasonable or my unreasonable goals become easily attainable. One of this hobby’s greatest treasures is the journey!

3 Likes

missed out on last years thread, probably due to discovering discord

Ill keep my goals for 2022 relatively short, I want to collect more psa 9 ex and e series cards. I have found myself more recently wanting to collect more ex 9’s (even though ex sucks dont buy it). Im not sure exactly what I would like to accomplish percentage wise, as I tend to have a more laid back approach to collecting. If I could complete unseen forces that would be great!

4 Likes

100% completion of JP Base in PSA 8-10. Im 6 cards away. Shout out to those that helped!

All JP Fossil holos in PSA 10.

Finish out PSA 10 JP Kanto by 2023.

2 Likes

I can’t believe I didn’t post in last years thread. I love these too. My 2020 goal went really well.

I was curious what I would have put for 2021, surely it wouldn’t have been to quit my job and do this full time, but what it likely would have been was to become more organized, fill out collection binders, maybe add a few big cards to the collection such as pika ring, mew orb, things of that nature… :grimacing: 2021 I also wouldn’t have made a goal to collect any new memories at events as I hadn’t planned to attend any, but I did well on that front pulling a shadowless zard in Vegas, seeing old friends and making many new ones.

Well I didn’t do so hot on any of the goals but I couldn’t be happier about it as I smashed it on other fronts.

My goal for 2022 will be just rolling over the incomplete 2021 goals of continuing to work on the binders and maybe adding a few new big promo/trophy pieces as well as keeping up on the newest sets better than I have. Big goal for 2022 is to meet new friends and see old ones again while collecting some new memories of the hobby at a few events.

2 Likes

I’m just looking to pick up no rarity cards in psa/cgc 8+
I’m still eyeing a mint set but I want duplicates and auctions sometimes turn into steals.
Main goal is to be frugal and collect as much no rarity as I can.

Charizard and venusaur are the ones I want most between now and this time next year!

1 Like

My goal is to finally get back my Ludkins submission that went live in the PSA system in mid-October 2020.Or is that a dream too high?

Great thread idea here, and something for sure worth posting on so here goes.

As for 2022, I have a few things in mind but im not entirely sure which ill tackle first. Id like to finish a lot of my pokedoll collecting goals to finish but my johto starter trios, b ut im also going to swing back full force into some card things which I didnt tackle prior as prices of certain items werent really something I wanted to go into. Id like to strive for a full neo 1st ed psa 9 holo set, a full dedenne chr binder, and then some other dedenne card things binder wise that i somehow didnt get to and thought i did.

Aside from these things, im also of course striving to be as happy and healthy as I can be going into a new year. This year i made it once again successfully in full recovery from my past addictions, so I always tend to reflect on those things while feeling grateful for how far ive come. Ill pat myself on the back 20 times over for that for sure.

4 Likes

Still looking for the one card that was on my 2020 and 2021 goal lists :slightly_frowning_face:

I sent mine mid october and just got it sent back. They didnt update my tracker since it got put in grading

2 Likes

Almost all of the 2020 PSA submissions I needed to hit my primary goals for 2021 are still not back yet so didn’t make much progress on EX Sandstorm or Dragon. I do have some nice holos from those sets at PSA so maybe 2022 will be my year. Plus, the 10’s I needed basically evaporated after I made this post last year but maybe as other people’s bulk subs come back there will be a few more for sale.

As for the EX legendmaker set, I am almost there but have been neglecting my binders for some time. There is still time to dust those off and even to complete the Reverse Legendmaker set before 2022.

As for my stretch goals, well I came close a few times in 2021 to landing each one but was either narrowly outbid or awarded a PSA 9 :slightly_frowning_face:
At the very least I didn’t have to sell any cards like I worried I might :blush:

I did however buy and grade a Neo Destiny Dark Tyranitar with a Holo Shift Error (cert 3816324001) which is currently holding down that slot in my Tyranitar collection.

As for the cards I DID buy, it was a really unfocused year. The market is pretty irregular right now so I have just been attracted to cards the feel like a good deal at the time - primarily EX era holos/reverse holos, usually in the $100-200 range and really all over the place.

One last thing that I was happy to acquire in 2021 was a PSA 10 Stadium Metang. I had only marginal interest in the card for the longest time, until this year when I was reading up about the specifics of the release information. Someone on here had linked to an old forum post from 2004 for the “East Coast” Stadium Challenge and I realized the tournament had been held at a store called Dream Wizards in Rockville Maryland. That was my LGS growing up! I had bought many boosters and theme decks there as a kid and have a lot of fond memories playing in events there. When I learned that one of the 3 stores in the world that awarded these promos was Dream Wizards the card went straight to the top of my list. I ended up with 2 PSA 10 and a PSA 9 after a few reckless weeks (and some unpaid TCA Gaming auctions) and I couldn’t be happier with them

2 Likes

I’ll just be continuing on with my English and Japanese Girafarig master sets, buying random Raichus, and picking up cool art. I think I’ll actually set a goal of acquiring a black flame Ninetales as well. On top of that, I’m on my journey to lose at least 30lbs. Already have 6 down! Screw you man boobs and belly, get out of my life!

3 Likes

For 2022 I plan on legitimizing my selling on the side and turning it into a real business. I’m inspired by many people who have done the same on here, as well as it’s a goal I’ve been working towards passively for a couple years now.

7 Likes

I’m happy to say I accomplished nearly everything. 2020 was not a good buying year, so I made up for it in ‘21! Lot of these were condition upgrades, some others I had never had.

But now my goals for 2022 are simpler. I have most of the old eras done other than e series. So my goal is to complete that, and work on future eras composed of my favorite artists and artworks. I think it is time to start the ‘ole EX era, which E4 has made me fall in love with. I always couldn’t get behind the card layout personally, but things change, and the artwork is AMONG THE BEST EVER!

So in summary, finish up my remaining old school scraps on the plate, and work towards more artist and artwork oriented EX era

8 Likes

Completed all my long-term collecting goals in 2021. What a time to be alive!

2 Likes

I accomplished exactly 1/5 of my goals from last year, so that’s better than expected :stuck_out_tongue: My goals have completely shifted, so for 2022 the goals are

1. Illustration contest pokemon fan winner Zorua and/or 4th grade zoroark
  2. Ebd Guzma and/or Alola Friends
  3. Get at least 18 Japanese BW full arts in NM+
  4. More Japanese full art trainers
  5. Get to at least 50% of celebi master set in English and Japanese
4 Likes