YouTube AnthonyPadilla Interview 1 MILLION VIEWS PAGE 9.

No matter how old I get I don’t see myself ever being Ok with someone trying to monetize my knowledge or life experiences lol. Scott has a Patreon where if you have questions you need to pay him, but he will appear on a hype Youtuber channel for free lol… Im struggling to understand the logic here. Anyways I think this convo will go in circles, like I said earlier I respect you and actually enjoy watching the videos you appear in and Im sure I will watch the video with this Anthony character and I do hope it benefits you and the hobby as a whole. Cheers!

Engineers shouldn’t use their engineering knowledge to obtain a salary? Should tutors tutor for free? :thinking:

What are you talking about? You literally just proved my point for me. An engineer doesn’t engineer a bridge for free. A tutor doesn’t tutor for free. Scott wont give you an in depth tangible answer unless you are a paid patreon member. But Scott and Gary will appear on this guys channel and share their knowledge, experiences and expertise for free giving the youtuber “free” content that he can then turn into money with views. Thats the entire point I have been saying since my first post smh. At this point we are beating a dead horse.

Gary and Scott should definitely appear on the clickbait youtubers channel, its an amazing idea and will only benefit the hobby and the forum…There do I fit in now? Sorry for having an opinion guys.

@seeingdouble

It’s definitely ok to have an opinion, it’s a constitutional right. However, the same freedom that allows you to have that opinion gives others the right to criticize it.

2 Likes

I think you miss the point that both parties have an opportunity here, Anthony obviously gets content for his youtube channel and Gary / Scott get the chance to make the hobby accessible to a wider audience. Even if only 0.01% of his viewers start collecting that’s already a win. Also who should Anthony interview other than Scott or Gary?

2 Likes

Where did I address personal compensation? I didn’t say whether or not I was getting paid? I guess you assumed that cause you know I would do it for nothing…and you’d be right;)

@garyis2000, Initially, I was just stating how I interrupted the message Anthony sent to Scott and have gone in circles now trying to defend of my comment. Based on the message that Scott posted from Anthony there is no compensation and that is why I said what I said in this thread. He gets the 2 kings of the hobby to provide him with what I would assume is “free” content and then he uploads the video to Youtube and a month later gets a cheque based on the number of views. Rinse and repeat with anyone who is willing to jump on camera, pretty sweet business model if you ask me. “Exposure for the hobby” doesn’t seem like a fair trade imo but thats just my opinion. Obviously you guys are adults and can make choices for yourselves. Im just a guy on the internet…I wont be back to this thread, I have derailed it and we are way off the topic. Happy Fathers day Gary, your the man.

1 Like

@seeingdouble,

Thanks for the well wishes:)

Btw…he is writing me a check;)

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing the resulting video!

Channels like Smosh were fundamental in developing YouTube to where it is today and inspired a lot of us to create our own channels and content.

Thats awesome, and rightfully so. You could have saved me lots of typing if you mentioned that earlier in the discussion lol.

I have to credit @seeingdouble . . . I don’t personally agree with your perspective (I think there is intrinsic value in mainstream exposure, especially given the reach of Anthony’s audience and his willingness to host experts from our community rather than misinformed people parading as experts). Nevertheless, you’ve done an excellent job articulating your points rationally and respectfully; I can definitely respect that!

5 Likes

Honestly, it never crossed my mind. I even declined it but he wouldn’t have it. So he’s making the check out to my son…not the son that’s going with me but another one he knows.

1 Like

Even if you were doing it for free, Gary. Is there not an immense personal value for yourself as you get to share your personal collection and have interest in not just the whole collecting aspect, but in you as well? I think thats an oversight that this free advertisement to millions of people has an immense benefit for you as well as the community.

When new people enter the hobby, they will instantly see your face/collection and you will have even more of an impact on the community. Raising your value as a collector even more and leading you towards better deals & exposure in the future.

I really dont see a negativity aside from being upset someone else gets a benefit? God forbid other people (especially someone whose been a millionaire for a decade (anthony)) excel a bit eh.

Anywho, like i said earlier, im super excited to watch the video. Thank you for accepting his proposal !

I’d like to second this comment. It’s hard to be the one person with an “unpopular opinion,” and then support that opinion without taking the arguments personally. This requires having very thick skin and perspective. And I don’t really think this opinion is a necessarily unpopular one, but an unspoken one. It is hard to bring in dissent once there seems to be a popular pov established. But you did it really well, @seeingdouble. Thanks for taking the time and bearing the strain of explaining a different point of view.

5 Likes

@milad101,

A personal value such as popularity, yes. No monetary value though. I simply don’t sell much except to friends here on e4, and they already know me anyway;) Check my eBay Pokémon store below. I haven’t made a sale in over a month lol.

Now the good it does the hobby is a totally different animal. I helped bring it here in the 90s. I helped keep it alive through the hard times in the mid 2000s by nurturing the collectible side of the hobby using PSA etc.
Now I’m trying to make it acceptable to get back into the hobby plus get parents to see Pokémon in a whole new light.
Why do I do this? Because it deserves it. Pokémon has been a huuuuuge net positive on a whole generation plus. Just look at our members here on E4. I am probably the least articulate, intelligent, or diplomatic person here. Our members are bright, accomplished, insightful, and innovative. What could bring such an impressive group together? Pokémon! And that’s no coincidence.

5 Likes

I’ll third this. I like the read a lot, and it cemented what I already suspected- that Gary had already worked this all through;)

2 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying, but by monetary value as in not just what you sell, but you as an individual. If you want Drake to show up at your birthday party, it will cost $1 million, but you can get a local band for $200. You have self worth value, and this only raises as popularity raises. The direct correlation is undeniably there, but i totally get what you mean.

Ultimately I can’t see this anything aside from a win from all sides

June 27th!! I may happen to be in the area…

As long as he agrees to portray you and the whole video in a wholesome-all ages format, then you should be all good in the hood.

1 Like

I think stuff like this benefits in many ways. Especially in the way you intend. Sure, if the interview focuses more on your personal collection and accomplishments the more targeted the gain is to you. But I think Anthony feels the same about our great hobby. He really gets it on top of wanting to gain more interest. If you made such a video I don’t think you or the hobby would be associated with anything other than that. If you make it about the community and hobby as a whole many will tune in to watch, even from outside of his core followers. If his core followers who want more “edgy” content hate the video they will simply move on to the next video. Only way it could be a bad thing is if the host has ill intent. I don’t think you have to worry much about that here.