Sit back, Relax, and enjoy my interview with THE REAL Gary

First off, I want to thank @kingpokemon …Gary put this hobby on his back for over 20 years now and I can 100% say that I wouldn’t have re-entered the hobby if it were not for his hard work.

I wanted to get more involved in the community so I started a channel. I’ve been so surprised and happy with all the amazing people I’ve met since joining IG a few months ago. I also love looking through this forum… but most of all I love collecting these snapshots of my childhood. (Pokémon Cards)

I had to learn how to edit again… so it took me a few days after the interview to finally get it “good enough” to share. We talk about pretty much everything from his early days in Pokémon, to what the future may hold. I hope you guys like it and please subscribe because I plan to keep the channel growing… and improve my production value.

The next video will be looking further into the blue back mystery we touched on in the middle of the video. (Unless there’s a better suggestion) Anyway I’ll put the link in here. I hope it’s enjoyed… Please let me have any and all critiques!

Video Here! if that didn’t work… WORLDS MOST FAMOUS POKÉMON COLLECTOR Gary From Pawn Stars talks market, history, and EVERYTHING else - YouTube

-Travis

20 Likes

Great interview! Very insightful.

I wonder if there would ever be the day, where someone clears up the mysteries regarding the Topsun production/release/print dates. Bummer.

2 Likes

awesome pod, thanks for doing this (both of you)

2 Likes

Hmmm the sneaky preview at the end… perhaps a community-led (with blessing from TPC?) tournament that fundraises for mental health?

1 Like

About halfway through and I’m enjoying this with my breakfast. Time for a break to go do some virtual teaching, but really nice job @baccene , and always a joy hearing some of the knowledge and stories from @garyis2000. I really hope I get a chance to go to a collector conference someday or have a meetup with other collectors. It’s really fun to just talk shop and see what everyone has.

1 Like

What a surprise turn hearing Gary’s case for why the Green Back TopSun may have been the first Pokémon cards. I don’t know if we will ever know whether green, blue or blue “no number” came first. Thanks for a great interview.

1 Like

Excellent, some decent listening material for my run tonight! Looking forward to it, thanks Gary and @baccene. Love listening to the stories, serves as a stark reminder about how sticking to your convictions and genuine love for things, even when unpopular, can pay off in the most unexpected ways. One of my biggest regrets is giving up on PTCG in 2011 after getting back into it for a couple of years because I didn’t stick to my convictions. I use podcasts like these as a life-lesson reminder!

2 Likes

Why didn’t i get a interview

4 Likes

Well done interview! great edits on the vid. Quality

1 Like

I shall be watching this now, @baccene :3 One of the things I utterly respect about @garyis2000 - the undeniable precept that many surely agree with me on, if you will: he’s as humble as they come, and is always most generous with his time; many who’d have a fraction of his collection and experience would fall short on both of those things :3

Just a decent human being ~

1 Like

Thanks for posting the video! I think this is a cool thing you’re doing. I don’t really go for most of the Pokemon YouTube content personally, but I do like informative videos like smpratte’s for example, and I think this fits into a similar category. I would love to see more interviews with other people in the community, I think that could be a really neat niche that I would regularly watch. I will definitely be looking for more!

1 Like

absolutely seems just like a completely A+ guy who is a massive boon to the hobby (and has been for a long time)

2 Likes

Yeah Gary is an absolute treasure. He’s done so much to get Pokemon where it is.

I also appreciate the kind words guys. Seeing all the views and subscribers coming in… it’s brought some anxiety trying to nail down the next video… I’m reaching out to ebirdman to see if we can follow up on the Topsun matter… also some other big names in the hobby… I’m definitely open to suggestions if anyone has a good idea for what should be next.
-Travis

Great video. The part about newer collectors gravitating towards older cards makes a lot of sense. I thought I would add my own perspective since I am younger than most of the members here. I started around 2007 when I was 5 years old with power keepers and dragon frontiers and continued since then. I got into psa cards around 2015 when I bought a shining steelix psa 10 and the rocket birds ex’s from team rocket returns in psa 10. Even though I am not of the generation grew up with gen 1 or 2 my grail was the venusuar 1st edition base card. Venusaur was not my first starter with my actual first starter being torterra. I love torterra and i do own the tortera lv x psa 10, but there is something special and cool about getting cards from the very first set. My collection is mixed between gen 1,3,4 and 5 with a majority of my collection being gen 3,4 and 5. In the future, I would think that people we started with later gens will buy some of the older cards, but all of them.