For The Good Of The Game

For all my Pokémon life half my efforts went into promoting the hobby. The Pawn Stars appearance was also done for that purpose only, as was the Leonhart and Smpratte shows. As the next step in promoting the hobby I felt a high end value awareness would be helpful. Sure enough, the PS episode legitimized the investment side of the hobby and got family members and friends to notice and say “maybe there is something to this pokeMAN thing”. Many went scrambling for their old cards, and stories were shared. PSAs Pokemon submissions quadrupled within a month.

Ofcourse hype eventually wears off but with our hobby it left behind the inevitable seeds of growth.

There are several people here on E4 that are actually carrying the promotional mantle. All of us could be. When you have a decision to make, let what’s best for the hobby take precedence even if it means you need to make a sacrifice. In the long run it’ll benefit you anyway. Need proof? Just think of how I’ve benefitted, mostly unwittingly:)

How have you or can you help promote this great hobby? Who else has done something you respect that may have helped the hobby?

4 Likes

I give a lot of credit to the hype channels. Realistically, people in the hardcore collecting community need to be more embracing of the ‘hype beast’ pokemon youtubers. Obviously, they sensationalize things and blow things out of proportion from time to time but, it undoubtedly adds new generations of future collectors. I think that the more large youtube gaming personalities that get grabbed into the hobby the more the hobby will be legitimized.

Personally, I just tell people how much my cards are worth :blush:

3 Likes

I reproduced and I will do my damnedest to make sure my son has a love for Pokemon as I did. That will hopefully be my greatest contribution hopefully to him and a sibling some day.

I also helped introduce my niece to it and she is loving her Pikachu binder collection we are building together.

Basically just introduce as many people to it as possible. Pokemon will do the rest. I’ve also gotten co workers back into Pokemon GO recently and though the first year or two I was back into it I did it on the down low now I am 100% open about it and serve as a bit of an advertisement nearly daily.

8 Likes

Well Gary since you asked…

I never actually intended to post about this on eFour but here i go. About 2 months ago a reporter from our nz newspaper approached me about my collection. He saw that i had consistently the most exoensive listings on one of our buy and sell sites. Here we have a site called trademe.co.nz which i use to sell my goods nationally opposed to internationally. The reporter asked to do an interview about the hobby, fascinated that these sums of money are involved. I was a little hesitant at first as i knew this would expose myself to the general public a bit but the sole main reason why i did this was to promote the hobby here in new zealand. I want pokemon to go in forever and to do that i will play my part where possible. So… here i am.
www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12108067&ref=NZH_fb
Its a little embarrassing and cringey but fk it i say. Pokemon is majority of my life and i live for this. I love the community, i love the artwork, the stories, everything! Im here for life.

16 Likes

@kiwiblue
Whats your selling name on trademe bro. Ive probably bought off you before.
Funny article never thought id see a link to the herald on efour. Anythings possible haha

1 Like

Right. Many people have used my Pawn Stars appearance as a ‘mic drop’ lol

2 Likes

I really enjoy seaking-out Pokemon through Yard Sales / Flea-Markets! Nearly everything that I purchase locally is re-sold within my eBay Store. While you cannot beat the feeling of finding a huge-score with the potential for big-profit; I do have a soft-spot - especiallly for younger kids selling their collection and older parents / grandparents clearing-out their child’s “junk”.

Personally, I approach every “negotiation” the same. I’ll run through the collection myself tallying-up a real rough estimate of retail-value. Then I’ll approach the seller and try to start-up a conversation about their collection. Depending upon the seller’s attitude / story; I’ll toss-out an offer. If the seller is rude and doesn’t want to give me the time of day, I’ll low-ball and walk away with a sweet pick-up - not feeling bad at all. If the seller is genuine, I’ll actually be up-front and explain how much the collection is worth and how much it’s worth to me as a re-seller. I’ll toss-out a responsible offer that’s very fair for both parties - usually higher than the marked-price.

It’s a win-win in my book! I’m both helping-out someone who had little to no knowledge about Pokemon; and making some money myself at the same time. Not sure if that’s a real “contribution” to the hobby; but a nice gesture that more re-selling businesses should apply!

1 Like

Well done kiwi. We knew of your Pokemon prowess but you never mentioned you’re one handsome dude;)

2 Likes

Oh hey steve! Didn’t know you were on here. Thankyou!!

And i would be obliged to agree with your comments :blush:

Name is thebakery for trademe. (Dont ask…lol)
Probably have, you know what the nz community is like. Very small. And your name? Perhaps we are closer than we think :open_mouth:

1 Like

I let the pictures do the talking… :wink:
But on a serious note, thankyou :grin:

1 Like

Window123 on trademe @kiwiblue

1 Like

From down the block or across the world, E4 brings people together:)

3 Likes

Right on

2 Likes

@garyis2000 , I took your crown and polished it a bit. I hope you like it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now we are cooking with gas!

OMG man. That is so far beyond awsome that I’m out of breath. Thank you soooooooooo much:))))

2 Likes

Cool interview… but you could have told them that there is not only 6 Illustrators in existence -.- shows how good research newspapers and journalists do lol

I see what you did there.

1 Like

I’ve just always sucked at grammar!
Guess it worked-out this time around! Haha

2 Likes