CNBC, Mainstream Channel Covers Pokémon...and very well.

This was important to participate in. Many non Pokémon folks will see it that will only help the hobby more.

29 Likes

I think it summarized the current state of the hobby in 2020 quite nicely. Well done.

2 Likes

Those BGS graded prices pretty inflated though

8 Likes

Great share. Explained Shadowless better than I ever have.

You know someone’s parents are sitting at home watching CNBC today realizing they shouldn’t have thrown out the old shoebox of their kid’s Pokemon cards when they went to college.

4 Likes

Nice video, but AGAIN they called Zard the “”“rarest”"" card (in the 1999 Base set). Why can’t anyone from the various mainstream media departments just call it the “most valuable” without adding any misinformation. Why?
Anyway, just a minor detail that always ticks me off.
Good video apart from that.

9 Likes

Up goes PSA’s backlog again. :grin:

2 Likes

And again it’s all about the money. I highly doubt that those kind of videos will acutally help the hobby, looking at it from a nostalgic collecting point of view. In my opinion, those kind of videos, dropping auction prices after auction prices, will (again) only led to a short-term increase of those who see Pokemon cards as a mere investment. We have seen this in the case of Logan Paul. Poor are those who have jumped on the train the wrong time and now are facing high losses. I’m very happy that I myself, focussing on Japanese vintage stuff of the 90s, don’t have to care about financial aspects in that way. Feels really strange, that those, who couldn’t afford a Charizard back in the days also can not afford it today. However, the video itself was nicely produced and informative, accept that I didn’t really liked the commercial for BGS and was wondering, if those nines were really nines.

Best wishes from Germany and peaceful holidays!
Martin

9 Likes

I don’t think it matters why people jump on the bandwagon. What matters is that some people will stick to it and keep the community/hobby alive.

On topic: I like the video, but it seems more like it was produced for youtube. Will they air it on tv? Would be nice if they’d do some kind of mini-series. The reporter seemed to actually enjoy digging into pokemon stuff and a company like cnbc are probably better equipped than your average youtube to dig a bit deeper into the history of pokemon cards.

Very well done! It just goes to show that all the hard work from years past have set this hobby up to continue to grow in popularity. As far as the money part, all hobbies have a money aspect and you can’t get around that. That’s one of the beauties of collecting. Searching for that rare expensive card and getting it for a price that makes you proud to own it.

2 Likes

@ankleguy,

Yup, that was the thought I had when I watched this too. Those were the most generous grades I have seen since the early Pokemon grades at PSA. Beckett knew they would get prime time advertising with this and trying to get everyone with cards sitting in binders to send them in thinking they will $core. Wish some of my cards in those conditions could get those grades. All they are going to do is get a lot of upset people when they get cards back with grades of 7 like those cards looked like they should have received at best.

5 Likes

No way a grading company would ever inflate grades when there’s a potential conflict of interest /s

www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/08/06/baseball-cards-has-latest-sports-trading-card-scam-been-uncovered/1929959001/

1 Like

@king Pokémon is all about promoting the hobby. Keep up the good work my friend! Maybe I’ll be messaging for cards one of these days. :relaxed:

1 Like

Any leads on the third pristine Charizard? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very well done video! Hope it gets more views.

Amen.

There were various other pieces of misinformation in the video, too (such as the prices they cited, which were all peak mania price points). I realize that the video may have been produced a couple months ago, but the prices are now like half what they quoted lol. Ultimately it was a well-done video, though.

my dad is still going to call them all pikachus

4 Likes

The clips of Gary fanning out the PSA 10 Charizards in 2000s true crime documentary style are amazing. Bravo! Haha

Just need a vignette, ominous music, and some slow-mo.

2 Likes

Awesome job on this! It absolutely helps the hobby bringing awareness to the public and legitimizing the TCG market.

@seafoamarticuno,

Haha, yup. Both major grading services have been occupied by scandal in recent years. Anywhere there is money or a financially valuable asset there is going to be shady people/practice. It really sucks because of the damage it does to the hobby and collectors, but it is a sad reality we must live with.

1 Like