Economics Explained - The Pokemon Card Price Boom

What are your thoughts on this video?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbfGPo_IUyc

Journalistic cynicism. Speculative conjecture to get viewers.

7 Likes

Let them think it’s a bubble. So they cry when prices retrace 10% and then go straight back up.

1 Like

Pokemon: the 25 year bubble

23 Likes

Just saw this on Facebook.

It hasn’t changed my mind on the hobby I love.

2 Likes

Beanies were marketed to house wives though others did enjoy them. The owner of Ty was a crook and manipulated the markets. There was little emotion surrounding the hobby. I remember it well. There were no similarities between beanies and Pokémon.

Hard to see a connection.

17 Likes

Some cards have grown unsustainably relative to their (lack of) scarcity. I don’t think this is a great time to be buying $400 Fossil Psyducks unless you realllly don’t want to grade yourself or wait for more to be graded. Which if you have money to burn and love Psyduck maybe it’s worth it to you… to each their own.

Unfortunately for my collection goals, the cards I’m after are much more pop-optimized with very few high grades still trickling in. For ones like this, regardless of price increases people have been hesitant to sell if they know how difficult it will be to ever get back in a high grade/how hard it was for them to get in the first place.

5 Likes

Personally I feel like he is reporting on something he doesn’t have any passion or love for, along with not the greatest understanding of the Pokémon market and what drives the hobby. It hasn’t changed my mind at all, if anything and it is a bubble, I look forward to purchasing many cards I want, but are currently out of my reach for cheaper prices.

3 Likes

It really was an amazingly well done video. One question. Can I sue them for not getting my permission to be in the video?hmm

9 Likes

Agreed awesome editing, it’s a pity they didn’t take the extra time to research more just your basic surface level journalism

1 Like

Now I want a PSA 0 graded card, anyone got one for sale? I heard it is a great investment!

3 Likes

@handschoen, Haha yeah caught that as well quite a few cringe moments in there to choose from, it’s actually a great insight to how effective editing can be in persuading people towards your message. If that same video was on something I have limited knowledge about like MTG I would probably take everything he said as gospel.

1 Like

Were you in the video?

This isn’t my video by the way. It just popped up on my Youtube feed.

Decent video, brings up some important parts like condition, age and rarity that is sometimes omitted, but like with most surface level journalism it gets some details wrong. It’s not the worst video to show to someone who’s trying to understand what’s going on with the “pokimans”.

On the topic on if we’re actually in a bubble or not, I’m not as cynical as the guy in the video, but not as optimistic as some of the people in this thread. Waiting to see how many of these new hype beasts stay in the hobby once their PSA 8 unlimited Charizard investments stop doubling in price every other week.

I like how this has escaped the giant market thread though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What makes Pokémon a good investment currently is two things. One it’s organic - The only time I can recall someone trying to manipulating the pokemon market was the person with thousands of copies of the legendary dogs.

The 2nd - Considering the effect the lockdown has had. If countries end up with terrible or negative interest rates the boom will get bigger. People want to invest their money in something. And when the banks are offering low or negative interest, people at the moment are either turning to either housing or collectables. The value of my house has increased by ~10% it’s total value this year, whilst my Pokémon collection has increased by ~150-200% in its total value.

I reckon once covid is defeated we will see lower investment growth of Pokémon prices. However the bubble won’t burst, and prices will still rise at a slower rate due to supply v demand.

If you’re in it for the long run we will see Poké-Milennials as the new boomers in 10 years.

Edit - I did not watch the whole video. The beanie babies reference was to blame for that.

No mention of iconic original artwork by iconic artists like Ken Sugimori. The reason why we’re all drawn to the cards in the first place is the Pokemon and how they’re expressed through the illustration.

No mention of why or how Pokemon has been an iconic franchise since the mid 90s and has managed to stay relevant on a global scale year to year. The crowds of people on Pokemon Go release show how close people hold the franchise to their heart even if temporary. Just looking at recent times around 900m was spent on Pokemon Go in 2019. SWSH was the 3rd best selling Pokemon game after RB and GS.

No comparison to MTG which was essentially the first mass produced fictional card game once again featuring iconic artwork by iconic artists and the original cards have just kept on increasing in value.

No comparison to vintage comics or sports card which are magnitudes more expensive than vintage Pokemon (though Pokemon is slowly making its way up there).

The only genuine concern I’d say is how much supply is still out there remaining in mint condition but this concern is mostly targeted at unlimited cards.

But yes beanie babies and rare cereal boxes didn’t do as well as collector items

2 Likes

Almost half of the $$$$ I invested in Pokemon cards came from this years holiday fund.
I assume others spent money this way too due to Covid restrictions.

Giant Market Thread. Not that hard guys.

www.elitefourum.com/t/before-you-post-a-thread-in-price-and-market-discussion/29138/1

2 Likes