Who is the Greatest Rock Band Ever

The “greatest” rock band of all time is pretty subjective. It’s who you ‘liked’ the most. I loved the Beatles.

The “best” rock band though, in my opinion is pretty clear cut. Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker are irrefutably the best guitarist and drummer of all time, and Jack Bruce was a converted jazz bassist who was able to step with those two monsters and even stand out at times.
Who did they play for? Cream! And if you haven’t heard them before, iTunes Strange Brew or Sunshine Of Your Love. Turn down the lights…close your eyes, and listen closely to the sound and you’ll hear the mastery of genius.

3 Likes

my favourite band is Alexisonfire and Avenged Sevenfold

However I really like a lot of the older Metal Bands like Ironmaiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead!

2 Likes

If you are talking from as objective of a viewpoint you possibly can (impossible to be purely objective when it comes to Music) and focus solely on influence and what actually counts as Rock and Roll then it boils down to a handful of bands.

Rolling Stones
AC/DC
Queen
The Who
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin

(some might argue that The Beatles count as Rock and Roll, which they certainly could do but I’d count them more as Pop, if you are talking ANY genre of music then The Beatles surpass any other band in terms of importance and influence)

But music isn’t objective in the slightest, and it shouldn’t be either, because Music speaks differently to every single person.

2 Likes

All great choices but who would you say is the “Greatest Rock Band Ever”

Rock doesn’t boil down to that handful of bands though. U2, Bill Haley, The Grateful Dead, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, and soooo many more proves that.
I think the first R&R band was in 1950 or so and was fronted by Ike Turner…Tina Turners 1st husband.

I’d say anybody enshrined in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are good enough for this list;)

Lastly, listen to Cream if you really appreciate R&R and the next time you make a list, they will be on it:)

Oh I definitely know of Cream, I just think if you wanted to get down to the nitty gritty they’d lose out by the time you got down to the minuscule representation I put forth.

Personally I’d give the Greatest to Elvis. I don’t think anyone who wasn’t alive at the time (me included obviously) could ever appreciate just how incredible his popularity was and how much of a frenzy he sent people into when he was at his peak.

He is a pioneer in making things that just weren’t acceptable in Popular Music, acceptable.

Who doesn’t know who Elvis is? Nobody.

2 Likes

This is impossible for me to do as there are just too many good choices. When you broaden it out past R&R it gets even more impossible.

If we are going by personal influence I would have to nut it down to Queen or ACDC.

3 Likes

Any list of greatest rock bands has to include Guns N’ Roses, Aerosmith, and the Foo Fighters. I think it’s really impossible to ever pick one, it’s all about personal taste.

2 Likes

Avengesevonfold is the greatest. I love you now.

2 Likes

Dave Grohl and Lemmy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yVT_EMp8lc

Little Richard, Beatles Stones Doors Beach Boys Cream Yard Birds Janis Joplin The Who Iggy Pop Lou Reed Pink Floyed Frank Zappa Tom Waits David Bowie Queen Ramones The Clash Bob Marley Stevie Ray Vaughan BrianSetzer GNR RHCP Rancid Fratteris
so much more!!
I play guitar (classical/jazz) , i think the best band change everyday depending on the days mood/feelings
I vote for Ramones even if i dont listen to them often now (i went to their adios amigo gig in japan , was amazing!)

1 Like

I only discovered Little Richard a few years ago, I knew OF him but never had listened to anything he did.

Easily one of the best voices of all time.

Yes, i found out about him when i was 14 (24years ago!)
it was a lightning strike!!
At the same time my mom allowed me to have a dog so we did,
i was in charge of taking him for a walk, i really wanted to do Richards ‘wooo’ but i didnt dare doing that in my house or in the neighbourhoods so i used to take my lil beagle for a long walk to the forest and i used to do WOOO Baby but thers always ppl taking walk there, so i end up doing WOOoo… , i was shy,
Carl (the dog) died 6 yers ago and i still cannot do the woo but everytime i see the flowers thats planted
upon the grave of carl i think of ol days when i try to do like lil richard with him^^

5 Likes

For those unaware of Little Richard, you have probably heard thi song a million times in movies.

Wonderful.

1 Like

soo powerful and full of Rocknroll spirit, pure heart striking performance!!! respect 100x100 LOVE !!

1 Like

House@ Elvis’s popularity hid a lot of the incredible talent he had. Tremendous stage presence, amazing voice, skilled guitarist, fine actor, and a very generous soul. A worthy icon for sure:)

I guess I won’t be able to convince you about Cream. I wish you could have stood beside me at the Hollywood Bowl in the 60s and watched Ginger Baker pound out a 20 minute drum solo with a skill, precision, desperation, and heart not seen since Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. He was so captivating that Clapton and Bruce couldn’t even leave the stage to rest. They stayed on stage just to watch him, mesmerized.
I hope their genius doesn’t die with my generation:(

1 Like

So you’re another Segovia eh?:blush:
The Romones had one of the best drummers ever.

I didn’t know you played guitar as well! I have been playing for 12 years, am more into Steve vai, Satriani, Buckethead type stuff. I guess that would be metal, but I feel like they have more than just shredding. Also, thanks for sharing a bit of your background. :blush:

As for the best rock bands, Van Halen has to be on this list. The band is mainstream, have timeless catchy songs that hit the general audience, and for guitarist’s Eddie did a lot for the electric guitar.

I think Metalica would have to be added to the list as well. They were so metal/rock that people thought their listeners worshiped satan. :unamused:

Joe Satriani actually taught Metalica’s guitarist Kirk Hammet. He also taught Steve Vai as well.

For me personally, I think guys like Vai and Satriani are virtuoso’s of out time, and have completely mastered their instrument. They would generally classify as Rock, but are mostly instrumental. I would say they are instrumental for all guitarists. Satriani especially is simply musical. Fun fact, Coldplay stole their “viva la vida” melody from Satriani. They settled out of court.

Oh and the Beatles were a bunch of guys who needed to learn how to play guitar. :zipper_mouth_face:

Satriani Is still a beast. I remember him saying once that Hendricks was his hero. Not a bad example for sure;)

Lennon and McCartney were great and prolific song writers. The bands musicality fit those songs perfectly. None of the members would be called virtuoso’s I agree.

Interesting side note: My mom was the personal secretary for the comedian Lucille Ball. She gave my mom 4 tickets to see the Beatles at the Bowl in 1965. I went but the screaming girls were SOOOO LOUD all I could hear were the bass riffs lol.

1 Like

That story about the Beatles is hilarious! It is amazing that you were able to go to their concert during their prime. Also, the tidbit about Lucille Ball is insane. I think I vaguely remember you mentioning that in the past.

Hendrix was a massive influence for Satriani. Satriani was on the high school football team. He was at football practice when he found out Hendrix died, and immediately quit and walked off the field. He attributes that moment to when he began his career.

2 Likes