One of my other hobbies

12 Likes

This self advertisement is approved.

2 Likes

Aside from remixing, do you practice lyricism, sampling and turntablism? What machine do you use? I love hip-hop, the culture is basically what keeps me going! Word to my momma Iā€™ll talk about this all day son.

2 Likes

I donā€™t get it lol but my youngest son loved it:) Heā€™s 25.

1 Like

Hey, me too. Iā€™m really surprised itā€™s the only music I listen to anymore. Itā€™s the last thing you would expect from me (nerdy white kid). Wu-Tang, Nas, and little bit of N.W.A are my favorites from back then. Modern I like the Migos and Lil Uzi because they are nice and easy to listen to (the production nowadays is really good, obviously they donā€™t hold a candle to people like Nas lyrically). I like a little bit of Kendrick but heā€™s hit or miss for me. My favorite new artist though who I think is extraordinarily talented is $ki Mask. He has a lot of talent and his lyricism isā€¦ clever at the least. He uses a lot of common tropes of sex money women drugs but honestly his fun references to cartoons and shit is a lot of fun. Iā€™m probably not into hip-hop as much as you; music isnā€™t some huge passion of mine. Itā€™s nice to listen to though.

1 Like

Honestly those new artists you mentioned are trash, I wouldnā€™t classify it as hip-hop either. In terms of ā€œtrapā€ music Iā€™d have to say itā€™s quite repulsive. As for hip-hop Iā€™d give the modern day props to J.Cole. His ability to produce his own music(beats & lyrics) is most impressive.

Iā€™ve been meaning to purchase an MPC live for so long I just havenā€™t had the chance financially. I had my eye on the MPC Renaissance but I want a stand-alone machine instead. Interested to know what equipment you use @theeucollector

1 Like

Even Kendrick is trash? I know how you purists are but I donā€™t remember ever hearing someone call Kendrick trash lol.

1 Like

I was talking about migos and lil uzi. Although Iā€™m not a big fan Kendrick Lamar either.

I understand why you think that. It really is a whole different genre of music. Listening to Wu-Tang with a lot of aggression and actual human enunciation and then going to Migos with sleepy and just-had-a-stroke-and-got-teeth-pulled mumbling is a sharp contrast. The overabundance and (in some cases reliance on) ad-libs takes away from the lyrical content significantly, which is already lower. Thereā€™s a lot of repetition (I honestly thought Lil Pump was a meme but people actually like it unironically) which leaves little room for actual creativity. The beats are significantly different as well nowadays, usually carrying the songs.

Itā€™s not my favorite but itā€™s catchy, and I really canā€™t help it. Iā€™m a surface level consumer. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Oh another artist I am starting to like unironically: Yung Gravy. Itā€™s funny and stupid but he has some talent.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if Iā€™d necesserily call Kendrick trash ā€¦ all I know is all my friends seem to get really hyped up with all his albums and I just donā€™t get it. To be honest I dont particularly get hyped up with any of the new rap these days. Probably because I grew up with Tupac, biggie, bone thugs, immortal technique and a little ice cube (glory days of rap hip hop/rap). Little white boy from the suburbs bopping to gangster rap haha.

Could also be that my tastes have changedā€¦ who knows :blush:

2 Likes

You canā€™t really judge all those artists when i know you havenā€™t listened to many of their songs. ski mask is quite talented and even busta rhymes agreed and might be doing a song with him. You just need to accept that music changesā€¦ If someone tried to rap like wu-tang now it would just be boring.

1 Like

You donā€™t know much then. My wife is very versatile music wise. I listen to new artist every day because of her versatility in music taste. Trash is trash, old or new. Everyone has good and bad songs. Iā€™m not saying bring back golden era/90ā€™s hip hop Iā€™m just saying compared to back then itā€™s trash. Itā€™s called old school hip-hop for a reason, because it will always stay in the olden days. As far as new artist I can still listen to J.Cole, Logic, Post Malone, Lil Bibby, Wiz Khalifa heck even Drakes shit bangs. But for you to say Migos and Lil Uzis music is not trash is kind of naive. Their producers make great beats but the artists as a whole I just canā€™t and wonā€™t respect. Sorry not sorry. For you to tell me to accept that music changes is almost as if youā€™re trolling. I listen to music from the 1950ā€™s all the way to now, trust me I notice the change.

Itā€™s not trash lolā€¦ maybe the lyrics in some but that is all. The song is catchy and sounds good, its fun and puts you in different moods. If i want to listen to lyrics then no i wouldnt say its good in that way. So what are you opinions on gherbo, chief keef, trippie redd, lil durk, youngboy nba, a boogie, lil peep? to me all those have some good music but from your point i dont think you will agree

G herbo is sick. I honestly donā€™t want to argue artist quality and sound wave to brain compatibility. Yeah Iā€™ll listen to it because itā€™s ā€œcatchyā€ but damn once you take a closer listen to it, itā€™s kinda degrading. I also donā€™t appreciate the way some ā€œartistsā€ take advantage of a simple hook and make it the whole song haha. There is a difference between the beat and the voice and a thin line between good music and catchy music.

In other words most new artist are trash. You canā€™t expect to agree with you. I can respect the artist making trash music for getting away with it though.

Nah I donā€™t practice lyricism. I donā€™t have the voice for a start- but yeah Iā€™ve been making beats using samples for years now. I sampled Mary Poppins for that beat above.

I love hip hop though and have a massive library of music that Iā€™ve accumulated over the years although not much includes new rap as itā€™s mainly garbage

This video illustrates it well haha

1 Like

added some more of my tunes on the first post as I got an unexpectedly positive response :stuck_out_tongue:

I know next to nothing about hip-hop or any of the related genres, but I heard this song called Rockstar by Post Malone and I really liked it. Someone had to explain to me who it was, though.

1 Like

I play guitar and recently picked up a midi keyboard from goodwill where I have always wanted to explore piano.
For guitar I love the blues and jazz, like original old style southern but also like piano conversions and sort of cringe to say things like Adele lol.
But Im stuck in hip hop days like GZAā€™s Liquid Swords and Flipmode Squads The Imperial. Recently went back to listen to Tupacā€™s older albums cause I never really listened to them. Some good shit! www.youtube.com/watch?v=amvjP7TDhNk

2 Likes

ā€˜What more could I say? I wouldnā€™t be here today if the old school didnā€™t pave the way.ā€™

You are def talented, I love your sample choices. Nothing like a good ol sax to ease the soul. Iā€™m an instant fan of your beats. Great job, Iā€™ll post my stuff when I cop that MPC. :grin:

1 Like

thank you! :blush: