What TCG cards remind you of the anime/manga/game?

Hi folks!

Been working on a little something something and wanted to know what cards remind you of the Anime/Manga/Game?

For instance, there’s so many great cards that reference the Power Plant From R/B/G/Y including Voltorb, Magnemite, and even Zapdos:

An obvious one is Mewtwo GX that both references the game, manga, and anime:

But my favorite is Dark Dugtrio that reminds me of when you find the broken in house from Team Rocket and find the TM Dig:

What about yall?

15 Likes

The Jungle Set in general reminds me of the Safari Zone. Aside from a few cards in the set that just don’t make sense (Mr. Mime? What the heck?), many of the Pokemon you can find in the Jungle Set were also found in the Safari Zone in R/B/Y. Kangaskhan, Rhyhorn, Exeggcute, etc. Always gives me feelings of nostalgia. I would venture to guess that the Safari Zone is many people’s favorite part of Gen 1, or at least in their top three.

1 Like

Non-TCG but this one gave me real nostalgia vibes.

3 Likes

and almost all other cards from the set - even though it´s referencing the new anime, I still get the nostalgic johto/kanto vibes from it :wink:

5 Likes

Do these count as TCG?

8 Likes

The trainer gyms are very much stadum vibes but this one hits in more ways. Fuschia’s so much fun.

Besdes aguably the Shining Legends Mewtwo the only true art afaik that covers the legendary mansion.

As for strictly TCG art only referencing anime, outside modern it’s a tricky search. Hmmmm… oh of course!

6 Likes

Original Manga, Original Illustrator.

4 Likes

@mjs61290, same here. That’s why I also love the Vending Series too. The one that comes to mind is Violence in the Safari card:

The card even directly references Base, Jungle, and VS series in the card details:

@kurtosisblakeinfini, the Transparent Walls is such a great Koga flavor! That Dragonite is pure nostalgia too.

1 Like

The answer is obviously Team Rocket’s Meowth from the Wizards Black Star promo set.

I’m working on digitising my old Shared Artwork collection at the moment, and this was one of the cards I found that I’d missed back in 2018.

In my opinion this card has the strongest connection to the early anime.
If you have no idea what I’m talking about, take a closer look at the artwork…

Not only is this the talking Meowth that accompanies Jessie and James, the silhouettes are all of Pokémon which feature heavily in the first 90 or so episodes of the anime:

Going anticlockwise, I believe we have the following Pokémon here:

1. Ash’s Bulbasaur
  2. Brock’s Vulpix
  3. Koga’s Golbat
  4. Ash’s Lapras
  5. Jigglypuff (possibly Misty’s Togepi?)
  6. Misty’s Starmie (possibly Misty’s Staryu?)
  7. Ash’s Pikachu
  8. Ash’s Charizard
  9. Brock’s Geodude
  10. Ash’s Butterfree

I think looking at market value this card is a great indicator of how often people skip over card artwork without paying attention to what’s going on in the background. You can have your 4-figure Bulbasaur, 5-figure Pikachu and 6-figure Charizard, I’m more than happy with this 2-figure Meowth.

6 Likes

That´s amazing, I never noticed those. My focus point was always the Meowth, and I just dismissed everything around it as his “dreams/nightmares” without ever looking closely. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

I wrote up a nice little summary on this card a year ago after it was initially discovered by @mikejofthecoast–very cool that you found it on your own as well! I always just thought it was a bunch of falling rocks haha.

I think the part that ties it all together was that this card was the one and only card illustrated by Kunihiko Yuyuma…who just happens to be the Executive Director of the Pokemon anime in every saga from Indigo League through Sun & Moon!

2 Likes

@azulryu If you haven’t seen it yet: Skyridge has a lot of art from the second movie: www.elitefourum.com/t/skyridge-the-story-behind-the-artwork/21227/1

And the Movie Commemoration Random Pack are from the 12th movie: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Movie_Commemoration_Random_Pack_(TCG)

Here some examples:

And there are of course some nice Team Rocket cards:

Double Crisis is also an amazing set with the fights between Team Aqua and Team Magma: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Double_Crisis_(TCG)

And let’s not forget all Ash’s Pikachu, with Ash’s cap from every season:

Or the Boss Pikachu cosplays:

Greetz,
Quuador

8 Likes

Ah nice, seems I had replied to that thread at the time. I’d completely forgotten about it.
It’s made me think that what I believe to be a Vulpix in the top left might not actually be one though. Your write up concludes that it may be a Squirtle but other than the feet and possibly the tail I’m struggling to make out the rest.

It’s a great little card for sure. As far as I’m aware this is the first Pokémon card (i.e. not a Trainer card) to feature another Pokémon in its artwork. I’m not sure if that’s true for the Japanese release as well.

1 Like

I love the old Meiji Pokemon movie promos. Most of the “anime screenshot on a card” sets never really took off but I feel those ones did something different and fun and really have their own identity.

I’d like to collect them unfortunately they used to to be listed for like $10 and now they’re suddenly all $50-300.

1 Like

Definitely the Porygon Fan Club promo: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Porygon_(Fan_Club_promo)

One of my favourites!

The background (if you find an image that isn’t all holo) is the Celadon Game Corner from R/B/Y where you find Porygon.

Thanks for making this thread!

This is from last season of the anime

I just discovered the art on this card too and it is amazing! I love the game corner slot machines. It’s extremely nostalgic!

1 Like

When I first saw this card as a kid. iI had to have it. It’s awesome :grin:

1 Like

Definitely the Jessie and James Full Art from hidden fates!

2 Likes

This must be one of my favorites.

4 Likes