Skyridge: the story behind the artwork [?]

HeyPeoples;

let me start off by saying this is in no means an official guide to anything; it’s more of an unproffesional article from a guy who’s been obsessed with the E-series sets- throwing some fan theories around behind the artwork of Skyridge. I hope to spark a discussion with you guys about how the artwork came to be & what has been the inspiration for the artists on this last epic set the WotC has ever printed. I haven’t seen my theories anywhere before (on what skyridgeArtwork is based off), so i hope you guys like 'm :blush:

[If you rather want the “imgur” format to read through the story you can click on this link]

I wanna take you guys back to time time where Pokémon hit its second glory days: when ‘Pokémon; the movie 2000’ first was released. I’m pretty sure i don’t have to tell you guy’s to watch this movie, but it’s important to know the storyline before we look at the artworks used in the Skyridge set.

It was revealed in the year 2000 (as the title suggest) and was one of the best pokemonmoviemasterpieces ever made- and everyone got that “special” Ancient Mew card, so most of the people do remember going- but do you remember the plot of the movie?

First lets fastforward 3 years to 2003 and we get into the dark depths of Pokémon history. The last set ever to be printed by the Wizard of Coast, and Pokémon hype is dead- this results in Skyridge being one of the least printed sets; but it has some secret beauty’s in the artworks as I hope to reveal to you.

First thing i noticed was that some artwork within the Skyridge set is heavily focused on the three legendary birds- you will see 'm pop up in the background (as ancient statues)-take for example these two cards; the Magneton from this set + the stadium card “Ancient Ruins”

This is the first part of the Skyridge set linking it to “Pokémon: The Movie 2000” -as the 3 legendary birds play an important role in that movie.

Some evolution lines within the set also focus on the “ancient ruins” theme with some sick legendary zapping bird artwork in the background

Perhaps the most famous one most people can remember; the Gengar from Skyridge also features 2 legendary birds as statues in the background; with Gastly and Haunter floating around the same area

As you might have noticed; all LegendaryBirdStatue artwork mainly features one bird; Zapdos. Reason behind this might be that the e-series Zapdos is missing in the Skyridge set…

You can find the e-series Zapdos in the older brother set from Skyridge; Aquapolis. Strangely enough Skyridge only has Articuno, Moltres and Raikou in the set, where Aquapolis (you guessed it) has Entei, Suicune and Zapdos. Seems they somehow swapped the electric legendary dog/bird with each other on accident…

Especially since this Zapdos seems to be one of the only cards from Aquapolis to have corresponding artwork with the other birds/cards from Skyridge. Let’s take a look at that artwork; seems like some random thunder following Zapdos around right?

Think back to that wonderful Pokémon 2000 Movie- what was attacking the 3 birds again?

(or rather… trying to catch them?)

Let me refresh your memory; remember this piece of shit? Tried to catch the legendary birds with some big flying machine that can catch legendary Pokémon in some painful trap.

In case you can’t remember; here’s the big flying motherfucker that tried to capture the birds.

They were locked in some electricalShockBallthing, and the whole movie was focused around Ash saving the birds with the help of Lugia (and the bad guy trying to catch lugia/theBirds)

Let’s look back at that big flyingTeamRocketCatching machine;

Now that it’s all fresh in your minds again, check out the three legendary birds printed in the Skyridge & Aquapolis sets;

I realised all the artworks are probably representing that big flying ship that tried to catch them!

In the case of Moltres & Articuno you can clearly see them flying around this “AircraftShip” & in case of Zapdos; i really think its the ship (with the “Lightning/Catching/Balls/Trap”) attacking here.

It’s so awesome to see that WotC decided to go out with a bang and relate some of the best artworks to one of the best Pokémon movies ever made! And to convince you I present the next evidence;

Arcanine artwork from Skyridge is featuring the same ship/aircraft in the background!
Besides these remarkable pieces of corresponding background art there’s also a lot of references hidden to other legendary stuff in the Skyridge artworks;

Flying type Pokémon with background artwork referring to the most badassLegendaryBird of all; Ho-oh

[rocking himself in his own background as well]

And what to think of this artwork around these “Mystery Plates” and these dolmens (or ‘hunebed’); all these standing huge rocks in a circle… Doesn’t that remind you of something?

This might be a bit farfetched, but do you remember this girl from the Movie? She had to play some song on a flute to [spoiler!] revive lugia and the birds after battle. Now this doesn’t match with the artworks, but do you remember WHERE she had to play that song?

Yup, standing in the middle of a circle made from huge ancient and legendary plates/rocks.

If you wanna relive the moment

You be the judge of my theory around these artworks; I like mine, although not very realistic :wink:

Talking about not very realistic theories; my last Skyridge/Pokémon2000 reference in artwork isn’t a bright one. In the movie Ash had to get three of these mysterious crystal balls, each of them were linked to a different legendary bird.

It did not take me long to find some “mysteriousCrystalBall” artwork in the Skyridge set, but you may decide if we can link this event to the artwork on the cards :wink:

Awesome reflecting (and mysterious!) ball artwork on the most ballsyRound Pokémon in the set.

Yea… that might be a complete shot in the dark… IF there weren’t more mysterious ball [trainer] artworks in this set!

I mean… Miracle Sphere is pretty much a pseudonym for mysteriousCrystalBallthing right? Still not convinced? Check out the attacks on the cards; each bird is represented in their own energytype… lightning for Zapdos, water for Articuno and fire for Moltres [check movie!]

I’m guessing the Skyridge set was one last big tribute to all the good times WotC went through and the OG Pokémon period of Pokémon red/blue/yellow/silver/gold- to the first 250something awesome Pokémon [before it went to shits with unoriginal artworks and just massivlyNonbrainedOverProducing new Pokémon&cards]- but that’s all in my opinion ofcourse :wink:

Ofcourse these are just fanrelatedTheory’s of a madman, but i thought it would be fun sharing and discussing this with you guys :blush:
Hope you enjoyed the ride!

42 Likes

A madmans work or not, this was a great theory!

1 Like

This is blasphemy! This is madness!
Madness…?
THIS IS SKYRIDGE

Great theories, just rewatched the film a week ago, all theories totally relatable 10/10.

2 Likes

This was fun. Thanks for sharing :blush:

1 Like

Wow, nice stuff. I believe!

1 Like

This was great, thank you for sharing!

Are you a big fan of the tv series? id appreciate your input on any chunk of episodes from any season that you think is worth a watch? Never going to get around to watching them all unfortunately so really interested any great story arcs over a few episodes you might be able to recommend?

Thanks again!

1 Like

I’m in the same position as you unfortunatly :slightly_frowning_face:

Just saw the first big 2movies, nothing else much- never really got the posibillty to watch the tv-series in my youth, so if you find out what episodes are worth a watch be sure to hit me up :wink:

I like it, never connected the legendary bird statues in the artworks.
Keep in mind that Skyridge is the English WOTC interpretation of the original Japanese cards. It’s actually a combination of Split Earth and Mysterious Mountains. Not sure if that boosts or detracts from your story here.

2 Likes

No need for me to boost or detract this theory, just hope you guys enjoyed it :blush:

I’ll never look at the E series the same again.

2 Likes

If you happen to live in the U.S and have a Netflix subscription, they have the complete first season of the show. Awesome theory btw I buy into it

1 Like

Nope, Netherlands. We seem to only have the new shitty aloanSeries- can’t seriously watch that utter trash, would love a complete first season of Pokémon on Netflix, you guys got lucky!

This is amazing!! I’ve been deep diving into the Skyridge set, so reading this was a lot of fun

I remember opening Skyridge when I was 7 yrs old. I loved the art then and even pulled the holo raichu. This post just gives me greater appreciation for the set now.

1 Like

Really great stuff! I haven’t seen the movie since it came out but now I want to go back and watch it.

1 Like

This is fantastic! I recently discovered this Pokémon forum and I’m glad I did. I had been trying to find some info/fan theories regarding this specific Skyridge artwork on Reddit and other sites and never found anything. This was exactly what I was looking for all this time. Thanks so much for sharing!!

3 Likes

I totally agree. I grew up on WOTC & the start of 2nd generation Pokemon - so Exp/Aqua/Skyridge has always been a favorite of mines besides daddy darkrai. Also, this is a great thread/theory craft on the e-series my dude! Besides the theory, the last years of WOTC already had great history to them, which is phenomenal.

Maybe one day we’ll fully unearth the secrets of e-series and bring back the crystal hype-train! muahahaha

2 Likes

There must be some great crystals of threads layered in the archived depths. If their is a chance for Classic posts this would be one. Including your theory, Southern Islands and Neo was the first half of Gen 2 spanning Gold Silver and the Pikachu Shorts with the E Series swerving the imo the gateway into Crystal specifically, as the later decks would integrate into movies 3/4 even 5 with the start to Gen 3. Satisfyingly inspiring read no matter how old!

1 Like

Great read! Such a roller coaster! I wonder if there was some kind of creative director instructing all the artists at Pokemon to include these themes, or was this something the artists decided to come up with?

1 Like

First off; I think Skyridge is heavily overrated, partially fed by the overvalued Crystal Zard

But…

Skyridge has flavour, tons of flavour and a clear art direction which is something we haven’t really seen since.

Shitty Alolan series only on Disney XD. But that’s because Disney XD doesn’t own the license to Pokémon in Dutchland anymore and all they can do is rewind XYZ and Alolan series 1. The license post-Sun&Moon (USUM/that Pokemon Power Rangers suit-up series) is owned by RTL and will probably also do/own the Pokemon ϟϟ (Pokemon SS/Shield Sword, owh this is gonna be such a meme) license.

1 Like