Set of the Fortnight #20 - Skyridge

Suggested by @aquaz , this time the set Skyridge:

Skyridge
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Skyridge_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the setWorst cards in the setHow you feel about this set in general
The last set produced and released by Wizards of the Coast, the third set of the e-Reader sets (after Expedition Base Set and Aquapolis). Just like Aquapolis it’s one of the largest sets out there, with a total of 326 cards you can get from the booster packs themselves (so excluding special releases or box toppers). This is the second and last set to contain Crystal-type Pokémon (the other is Aquapolis). Also, because of Uri Geller, this is the last set that contained a Kadabra.

Greetz,
Quuador

10 Likes

Here are some of my favorites (Magneton being my favorite of this set):

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

Oo

Onto this set now! This set oddly brings back a lot of memories. Some of my favourite cards in the set:

Holos:

This is my favourite umbreon card ever printed.

Something about the red effect and overall look on this crystal holo card makes it the best golem card I’ve seen:

And this ursaring, why is it a common? Maybe he’s too chill :sunglasses:

And something I was extremely confused about and I still am (It’s not a pokemon though???):

6 Likes

Huge fan of the commons in e-series. Some of my favorites from the set.

4 Likes

Amazing art, Crystal Zard, blah blah. The real highlight is that it was this guy’s final TCG moment:

13 Likes

The MVP.
Skyridge Raikou is best Raikou.

4 Likes

I’ve never opened a booster pack of this set so that way I don’t have special attachment to the set BUT I really have to say there are some really pretty cards in it that I definitely need to pick up.

The Moltres is easily my favorite Moltres card. Beautiful.

The Articuno brings back memories as I remember my friend having it. It caught my attention as the art is so different and stood out.

I love the Vaporeon and the tropical vibe of it.

So cute Sandshrew *-*

Aand this one probably isn’t a surprise to anyone, but I really like the Crystal Charizard.

7 Likes

Skyridge is my favorite set, and one that I didn’t even grow up with, which really speaks to its quality. Not only are the artworks beautiful, they convey atmosphere and feeling, and taken as a whole, Skyridge tells a story of powerful Pokemon in an ancient setting. Their aesthetic merits alone make these cards a joy to collect, but more importantly, their story expands on the Pokemon mythos in an albeit small, but poignant way.

2 Likes

Skyridge is actually the first set that I don’t own a single card from. Mostly because my interest in the cards was waning at that point - but was it also in stores for a really short time or something? Because I opened a handful of packs from Aquapolis and the first couple EX sets, but somehow missed this one entirely.

So I don’t have any fond memories or strong opinions here, but I love the Umbreon posted a couple times above, and that might be my favorite Sandshrew card now.

1 Like

Skyridge is hands down my favorite set and the only set that i have the goal of completing. Currently i have 29 out of the 32 holos and all of the crystal in psa 9/10. Here are a few of the cards from my collection

4 Likes

Similar to a couple in this thread, I never opened a pack of Skyridge although was collecting around then (Just, must of been 5 Y/O, remember opening Aquapolis and Expedition). I have never since looked at this set, but looking at some of the cards now in this thread the artwork is astonishing. Have to pick up a few especially the moltres.

1 Like

:heart_eyes: Easily my favorite Celebi art.

4 Likes

Surprised by the lack of love for this big bird! The crystal ho-oh artwork is defintely the best ho-oh artwork to date IMO. Not only is it stylistically unique, but I love the mystery of the narrative behind it. Not to mention, the holo foil makes it just an overall very attractive card. That’s not to say that this is the only amazing artwork in the set. Crystal Charizard and Moltres are both stunning cards, being both illustrated in Kouki Saitou’s signiture style. Some of my other set favorites include, but are not limited to, Gengar, Flareon, Gyarados, Steelix, Raikou, Houndour (the start of my love for Kusajima!) Misdreavous, and who can forget that classic Buried Fossil card! Overall this set is one of my favorites. One day I hope to crack open a booster box of Skyridge and complete the set. But until then I’ll continue to admire the beauty of every single card in the set. Cheers!

5 Likes

Ho-oh has the best crystal artwork don’t @ me.

2 Likes

Nahhhh dawg… #CelebiSquad4Lyfe

1 Like

Never ever considered collecting this set. Always felt it was out of my range, although after seeing the post I think I might start.

This was the first set I tried to collect. I didn’t quite get there, but eventually I will. What drew me to it was the clear theme in the set. This is one thing I feel pokemon is often lacking. Skyridge had this high-mountain oasis and hot springs theme in many of the cards, like these

3 Likes

I can’t believe this card even exists! Getting some serious Magic vibes.

5 Likes

@renotar Yes, 100% yes. My favorite card in the set as well, one of my favorite overall.