Set of the Fortnight #46 - Hidden Fates

The random picker has decided to pick the Hidden Fates set this time:

Hidden Fates
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hidden_Fates_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the 'set’Worst cards in the 'set’How you feel about this ‘set’ in general
Hidden Fates is a Sun & Moon era set which was released in English on August 23rd, 2019. The main English set of just 69 cards consists of cards from the Japanese GX Ultra Shiny set, Sky Legend set, Family Pokémon Card Game set, Trainer Battle Decks, and SM-P promos. This English set also contains a Shiny Vault section, consisting of 94 additional cards of which most are shiny Pokémon from the Japanese GX Ultra Shiny set (which was a Japanese set with a whopping 100 amount of Secret Rares in it).

Greetz,
Quuador

9 Likes

A lot of great cards in this set, but these are some that stand out to me:

Some regular cards I really like:

The Ekans with Articuno in the background also has a matching Hoothoot with Zapdos and Dwebble with Moltres in another English set.

The Legendary birds tag team card is amazing as well:

It also contains this very nice Full Art Supporter card:

And let’s not forget some actual shiny Pokémon, including my favorite Pokémon Seviper:

Greetz,
Quuador

7 Likes

I really enjoyed opening Hidden Fates packs with my fiancée in the weeks following the set’s launch. Unfortunately I feel like opening modern product is a bit of a thing of the past now.

My favourite card from the set is Caterpie:

34,352 Hidden Fates cards have been graded by PSA in the past 12 months, making this the most heavily-graded set in this time period*. With the exception of the regular Misty’s Cerulean City Gym which has only been graded once, every single card in the set has been graded at least twice.

With 50,496 cards graded by PSA in total, the most graded card from the set is SV94 Charizard with 4,090 copies currently registered in PSA’s pop report. On top of that, over 100 cards from the set have been graded by PSA more than 200 times and 25 of them have been graded over 500 times.

PSA also recently graded their first French Hidden Fates card: SV87 Reserve Naturelle Du Paradis Aether. It scored a PSA 9.

* I’m debating whether to split Hidden Fates and Hidden Fates Shiny Vault into two separate sets, however.

8 Likes

I might lose points for not posting a card from the set list but honestly this has to be one of the best BSP’s they’ve released for ages. Although, love so much from the actual set list too… SV Voltorb, Ho-Oh GX, Articuno GX, the Espeon & Scizor GX both look fantastic too with the green contrast. This honestly feels like such a pivotal set for the modern hobby, IMO so many sets up until Hidden Fates felt so lacklustre.

6 Likes

imho this is the best pokemon set of all time.

base set? overplayed
jungle? meh
fossil? gengar and ditto i guess
neo whatever? overpriced
team rocket? basically a boring club mix of base set

Incredible set! Love the Shiny and Gold Pokémon!

Your browser does not support video embedding. Please update your browser.

3 Likes

Love the Espeon from Ultra Shiny GX and this set. Such an epic shiny full art.

2 Likes

BUZZWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE

2 Likes

Absolutely LOVE the fullart Cynthia and Jessie & James, but other than that… this set was pretty lacking in my opinion. Yes, the art was amazing and such, but I feel like the set is just… another set. It could be due to the fact that I only ever opened less than 10 packs myself (only 4 by my own hand) and therefore I don’t have much of a connection to the set or I genuinely just don’t like it. So truly, I’m iffy on the set.

1 Like

This Set was so good for stadiums which i feel like even I kind of forgot about seeing as the Shiny and tag-team cards were so prominent.

The first english secret stadiums are all great, Brooklet Hill is probs my fave of the 4. The Brock and Misty Gyms are also both great.

The legendary birds regular and alt art tag teams also both look fantastic.

2 Likes

What do you mean by this?

It’s not at all worth it any more. The cost and difficulty in obtaining new product outweighs the enjoyment.

Prior to 2020 every time a new set would be released we’d aim to either buy a box of 36 packs or - for sets like Hidden Fates - 2 ETBs and 4 tins. This was purely to open packs for fun and unless we got really, really lucky the pulls would never cover the cost of the packs.

Now not only have prices been put up a fair amount (ETBs in the UK have gone from £40 to £54 and tins £16 to £21) it’s almost impossible to find anything in stock when new sets are released.

2 Likes

I like Aether Paradise Conservation Area, and the stadiums gold cards are great overall

2 Likes

That makes sense. I am not too familiar with modern other than seeing the perpetually empty shelves at the stores.

This set was the one that brought me back into the hobby. I bought a Charizard tin back when the set first came out, and I found the tin last year (and there was an Eevee SV pull, I didn’t even know what was so special at the time)! Bought over 20 tins and 3 ETBs last year and got really lucky with pulls - almost got close to breakeven! Sold any duplicates I had and bought the missing cards to complete my first ever master set. Love this set as there is so much variety and is very fun to open. Just wish they included the Bulbasaur and Squirtle lines as well since the art really is something else for the shinies.

1 Like

Hidden Fates is easily the best modern set that has been released. My favorite cards are Ekans, Grneninja GX, Reshiram GX, and Rayquaza GX (if that one counts).

1 Like

The legendary birds are just awesome and this has to be the coolest card of them

The shiny mewtwo, buzzwole, zygarde and darkrai are very cool. Trainer arts wise Cynthia and the aether foundation employee are solid to be honest.

Those birds cards are epic. Love the look of all the gx cards too, something about the silver background makes the art stand out. One day I will get around to opening this set

This card is amazing! also goes well with my burgeoning Masakazu Fukuda Collection. Vaporeon arts recently have been knocking it out of the park in my opinion.