Set of the Fortnight #40 - Neo Destiny

The random set picker has chosen again, and this time it’s back to the WotC era with Neo Destiny.

Neo Destiny
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Neo_Destiny_(TCG)
Discuss:
Favorite cards in the setWorst cards in the setHow you feel about this set in general
This set from February 28th, 2002 is pretty memorable. It was the first set to feature Light Pokémon; the first (and only) set to feature triple-star rarity Secret Rares; the first set to feature shiny Pokémon; and the last set of the Neo quartet; the last English set to have a 1st edition print run (and one of the last sets with the original WotC layout - only Legendary Collection was left before the E-series era began).
The Shining Pokémon in this set also have an unique holofoil, with the background non-holo but the Pokémon itself with a metallic holofoil look.

Greetz,
Quuador

8 Likes

Lucky Stadium is one of my favorite non-holo artworks in the set. For the holos, Light Arcanine is something special.

pokemonprice.com/Content/images/cards/neo-destiny/lucky-stadium-neo-destiny-n4-100.jpg

5 Likes

I really like some of the Light Pokémon, especially the ones featuring multiple Pokémon in the artwork:

I also like both the Dark Poryon2 and Shining Steelix. Pictures really doesn’t do either of these two cards justice in comparison to seeing them in person (although this picture I found on google for Dark Porygon2 comes close).

And I like the triple stars and shiny Pokémon in general. I remember being very jealous about my little brother when he pulled the Steelix and I didn’t had any triple-star as a kid. Luckily I do now. :slightly_smiling_face:

Greetz,
Quuador

9 Likes

Light Dragonair is out of this world. Completely forgot at first glance. It’s the only Dragonair that beats Base in my opinion.

I think the commons are a bit basic, but the uncommons are the real gems here. Tons of solid uncommon artworks. This is likely due to Dark Pokemon not occurring for Basic Pokemon. Dark gets a bit of an extra flair and detail.

Also, Shining Mewtwo has an epic action shot. Reminds me of the movie/video games. Divine power.

5 Likes

So much great art in this set, especially among the uncommon cards, as mentioned above. I have more nostalgia for the Japanese versions, as I was able to trade for some of them prior to the English release, most notably Light Arcanine and Light Dragonite which became some of my most treasured cards. Light Arcanine is the best looking card in the set in my opinion. I quit just before the English release. I never really cared much for the art of the Neo Destiny Shinings and even though Neo Destiny is an amazing set, it is my least favorite Neo set by a substantial margin.

These by the same illustrator are great and have a somewhat connected theme.

3 Likes

Neo Destiny has some of my favourite artwork of all time. Just some very, very beautiful cards, I wish the dragonair and flareon got the holo treatment too, the artwork would’ve been just so pretty. I would love to own a painting of the dragonair, it’s just such a phenomenal artwork. The shining mewtwo is really nice as well, not a huge fan of shinings overall however but the mewtwo has always caught my eye. Would love to see more artwork like this now with the full art treatment but doubt that will happen.

6 Likes

Light arcanine is such an amazing card from an amazing set. That card stands up there for me with umbreon from the neo discovery set as one of my faborite pokemon arts. Shining Mewtwo as people have also mentioned. I think it’s the best mewtwo card by far. I’ll dig out some cards later and post my personal faves

2 Likes

Agreed for sure, these two would probably take the top 2 spots for me too :blush:

But this set is just so class, full of great artwork. Other 2 favourites are probably:

Both so different for what you normally see.

Also Dark Scizor’s always done something for me, it’s like exactly what a good card should be.

4 Likes

There are hardly any other oldschool cards I’m as repulsed by as these three:

These + those godawful Unowns just aren’t for me. That said, the rest of the set is pretty fantastic.

Favorite evolution line including favorite Holo:

All artists were at the top of their game. Kusube as already shown and Kimura as mentioned in many other replies. Komyia also hit home:

Here are two last miscellaneous ones I just need to throw in:

Regarding Shinings, I’d rate them Mewtwo>Steelix>Tyranitar>Kabutops>Noctowl>Raichu>Celebi>Charizard.

Tl;dr: It’s a good set.

2 Likes

Join the Komiya cult with the rest of us :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Love the Mewtwo, it’s menacing and powerful.

4 Likes

Dark haunter for sure, shining for me are Mewtwo>Tyranitar>Celebi>Charizard>Raichu>Kabutops>Noctowl. The only shining I have an issue with is noctowl; most boring art of all time. It’s literally a head looking at you. I just wish Charizard wasn’t running away.

he’s a right handed verion of Jules in your profile pic

1 Like

Maybe that is where my affinity for this art comes from.

1 Like

I welcome the warm embrace with open arms

1 Like

The non holos are perfect.

Shinings are nice.

Light Arcanine is the worst card in the set.

I love the dark feraligatr and the dark ampharos screams of the jolteon from jungle

I hope one day i can pick up a light dragonite

Greatest set of all time!

Who is Elekid fighting in Broken Ground Gym?

1 Like

Think it’s a Cleffa. It does look a little Clefairy-ish, but the fat brown ‘ears’ are too Cleffa. Also baby vs baby pokemon makes sense.

Either way, it’s not doing too well

1 Like