Set of the Fortnight #45 - Tag All Stars

As promised, the next Set of Fortnight will be Tag All Stars, on request of @shadowless and @pkmnflyingmaster :

Tag All Stars
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tag_All_Stars_(TCG)

Discuss:
Favorite cards in the setWorst cards in the setHow you feel about this set in general
The Tag All Stars set was exclusively released in Japanese and Korean. Its Japanese released was on October 4th, 2019. A lot of its cards were reprints from earlier sets of the Sun & Moon era, similar as The Best of XY set was for the XY era. Most of the cards in this set can be found in a variety of English releases, like the Team Up; Cosmic Eclipse; Hidden Fates; and some other sets, as well as loose promos. There are however also a bunch of Full Art cards exclusive to this Japanese Tag All Stars set that doesn’t have an English release, and considering we’re in the middle of the Sword & Shield era now, I doubt they will.
Just like a lot of SM era sets, this set was packed with Secret Rares, a total of 53 to be exact. In addition, which is pretty unusual for a Japanese set, all regular cards can also be found as Reverse Holos. (In Korean all the regular cards were only available as Reverse Holos, without any non-Holos.) This Japanese set was also the first to introduce so-called “God Packs”. You had a 1 in 250 pack chance to get a God Pack, which contained a Reverse Holo Energy plus 10 super-rare cards (7-8 FA Pokémon GX and 2-3 FA Supporters).

Greetz,
Quuador

7 Likes

This set of course has some amazing Full Art cards. The Erika Full Art is probably also among my favorites of all Full Art Supporter cards.
As for the Rayquaza, I’d say it’s one of the better looking 5ban Graphics cards, of which I’m usually not a big fan. Both the pose and background make for a pretty cool card.

Apart from that there are also loads of amazing other cards in this set. Both the Pokémon itself and the backgrounds of these cards look amazing, and it’s great to see so many talented illustrators for modern cards.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Incredible set, The Arita tag teams were what largely brought me back to the hobby so great that it has a bunch of reprints as well as some new ones. @quuador already posted them, but Reshi-zard, the legendary birds and the the art of Deoxys and Espeon being my faves.

Also had a bunch of stadium reprints, including reverses, which is of course excellent.

The Eevee GX may be my favourite card of the set though. Alternate full arts are the best and this variety is what i’m all for.

The Ooyama trainers are also great for similar reasons

3 Likes

Thank you very much @quuador ! In my opinion the best modern set released, easily better than hidden fates (come fight me).

I could basically put almost all cards in here as I love all of them but some real standouts are:

All the gold cards are worth their weight in gold(this might actually be not too far off haha), my favorite one is this one though.

Last but certainly not least the best modern set card bar none:

3 Likes

Hell yeah! Hasuno is an awesome artist.

1 Like

I think this is one of the best modern sets and way more exciting than Hidden Fates to me personally.

I have two questions though:

1. Is there a list anywhere that shows which cards in the set are Japanese exclusive?

2. Do people (/the market) care about whether a card is from its original set or a reprint from Tag All Stars? Do you think that it will be relevant in the future if, for example, your Moltres & Zapdos & Articuno-GX has the set symbol from SM12 or SM10b?

Some of my favorite cards from the set have to be both sightseers, Meowth, and the gold Garchomp & Giratina.

Another card I really like is the Reshiram & Charizard tag team. I really love the art style, although I’m not that big of a zard fan myself, I really love how zard was done in the art, and Reshiram is one of my favorite pokemon and seeing it on this beautiful card really ties it together for me! I appreciate how the art style brings both dragon like qualities of the pokemon into view, as well as how soft Reshiram also looks to match its soft sounding name.

I don’t think, art wise, any of the cards are bad, although the three birds almost make that list with the atrocious colors of the birds on the gold background. Overall, as a collector I think the set is one of the more enjoyable ones to look at, and is also much more of a sustaining hunt if you’re scratching it together. But I will say, it is very pricey for the more average collector, but I feel like that is fair compared to the stunning art we get in the set.

1 Like

My time to shine :grin:

One of my favorite sets. Had an awesome time with breaks and pulls. Art quality is next level. Texture is godly. God packs are awesome idea. There is a gold Charizard. What more do you need (besides the obvious Chansey tag team).

7 Likes