What are your unpopular opinions in pokemon?

22 Likes

I’d actually prefer a slight concave bend for binder copies, because it allows the light to reflect from more angles all at once.

9 Likes

Yeah, this is how I feel too.

With English, the issues are a part of the inherent design, which means you’ll get them with all cards (on top of the flaws so commonplace with English). With Japanese, the issues are flaws, which are actually avoidable.

The first ever booster box I ever bought was an Evolving Skies one, and the only worthwhile card in it was centered so poorly the top border reminded me of a Klingon’s forehead. The card stock quality was also so flimsy it actually made me start an e4 account, just so I could ask around to see if they were fakes.

2 Likes

The yellow borders are distracting on character rares :face_with_spiral_eyes: which is why i only like character rares of V’s and VMAXes. I remember the first full art with yellow border I saw was swampert and it just looked way off.

6 Likes

EX Sandstorm is a great set

7 Likes

I think Pokemon Games get better and better as well as Artworks in the TCG Hobby. Although there is unmatched nostalgia tied to the first game and first TCG sets, the games got better and better, although maybe too slowly. We just got the third game that is somewhat open world and open world games have been around for a while, even on the switch.

12 Likes

This is by far the most unpopular opinion.

There are several, hard facts, that actually shows a downfall in game’s quality, programing skills, technology used, gameplay,etc.

6 Likes

About 8% of the 85 polled e4 members said that it was their favorite of all EX era sets!

3 Likes

You’re pretty sick, dude. I respect going out there with that though, as that is for sure unpopular :slight_smile:

1 Like

Objectively, there are few (maybe major) things that got worse over time: exp share / exp amount and therefore overall difficulty. Correct me if I‘m wrong but most other changes are QoL and choice-based.

New Crystalline-Feature sucks? Don‘t use it. Sandwich/Food recipes? Don‘t use them.
New Pokemon designs suck? Go for earlier Gen Teams.

How to handle difficulty? Ok, I give you that, game‘s way too easy nowadays, especially given new features. You can get around (various nuzlockes) or you can play the same way you played as a child and spam scratch on a metapod that uses harden each turn.

Pokedex size is something I can understand, but with crossing the 1,000-Pokemon-mark and taking an open-world approach, the spawn rate for some Pokemon would be absurdly low.

Just some things that were a pain in the ass in earlier games: HM slaves (effectively you had a 5-Pokemon team, not 6), save-switch on your PC, same bag for all items etc.

IM(U)O the games improved QoL, graphics, storytelling and with some tweaks on how you approach a game, the newer games are a load of fun and have gotten better over time (with some games taking a step back).

2 Likes

Especially since sprites left the chat.

1 Like

Personally, now that I’m an adult and have responsibilities, I really like not grinding to level monsters… Ain’t no time for that! :laughing:

3 Likes

Video games are an art form and art is subjective :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Bonus opinion: Pokémon Games have always been easy

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s too far-fetched to say Pokemon games have improved over time in certain areas. While I do have a soft spot for Gens 1 & 2, those games were littered with bugs, weird difficulty curves and archaic interfaces. Of course, many will argue the clunkiness and jank is also part of their charm but there’s nothing wrong with introducing modern quality of life features such as party-wide exp and streamlining breeding. The issue is the games post Gen 5 have also suffered in many other areas like Pokemon animations, linear map design and excessive hand-holding.

Imo the Gen 4 & 5 games (B2W2, HGSS, Platinum) were the peak of Pokemon games (and this is coming from a RBY boomer). :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Gen 5 I agree with, specifically White 2 because of the Breeders in White Treehollow.

It still amazes me why they had to make exp so nonsensical. Literally a small patch of grass on a rock somewhere called Bliss Gardens or some other cute phrase, accessible only after completing the story mode, with 94% chansey encounters, 5% Happiny to fuck with people and 1% Blissey if that has to be a “difficult” poke to get (…) would’ve made each vintage gen a million times more enjoyable.

And the DV/IV’s are just silly, even in modern gens but at least it is much better by Gen 6.

2 Likes

Yep, the thing that makes Gen 1 and 2 seem hard is because it was pre/early internet times, if you didn’t have a guide, you’d have to figure it out on your own.

Edit: I’ve actually never played Gens 5&6 :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thats 8% that said it was their favorite so a much higher number people that would say its a great set.

1 Like

Ugh. Gen 4 is the bane of Pokemon’s existence.

I agree that Gen 5 is fantastic, though.

1 Like

What didn’t you like about Gen 4 or its games?

1 Like