Something new- What cards are overpriced?

Often see posts in the forum stating cards are under priced (which are many!), but what do you consider to be an overpriced card? Lets start a fun thread!

I may have a bias but I see the Dark Charizard as overpriced. Ie. There were several auctions selling the 1st ed. psa 9 zard for $650 range, but the true demand showed via bidding auction (most recent) that it can sell for the $500 range. That’s near a 25% price off recent sales, and shows that Zard Rocket 1st. maybe overpriced. There’s a list of other cards I can think of from T17 to Shinining or japanese promos, but what do you consider to be ‘overpriced’?

Have a good discussion!

2 Likes

Any modern set card over $500. If it’s still being printed, how can you pay more than 1st ed base holos?

38 Likes

Dark Zard 1st ed team rocket PSA 9.

2 Likes

Hm, the shiny charizard is quite the sight. I push modern because that’s where we’re at :blush: >350 boosters and no shiny, I would think sv49 is underpriced.o.O

You can take the assumption it’s fairly priced, but will this become a 10k card? No. PSA 9 1st ed Gyarados has a better chance hitting 10k than this card. My outlook for SV49 is flat.

I would say supply and demand. And the supply side on eBay is the most important factor. As long as there are people willing to buy cards on eBay with those listing prices, the cards will always be undervalued.

$10k card, what kind of goals must we set, when +$50+ is a smile on many faces? This isn’t the japanese promo market when you wouldn’t be surprised to see japanese sv49 version 1k+ lol

It’s under-priced while it’s still ‘in production’. But believe me, when its oos, you shall see an uprise. Spend $300 for ungraded or $350 for psa 9/10?

But let’s continue for ‘overpriced’ and see what lands here. sv49 is one of those cards that remains out of reach of majority of collectors due to pricing, but I still think it’s under. So many collectors too familiar with wotc 1st ed psa 9 <$100 are out of touch with current times and moderns above. The artwork demands the extra.

I do agree with this gentleman.

1 Like

The main point is limited upside with higher levels of risk. You’re more likely to lose 50% of your money versus double your money. It’s like playing hot potato with modern cards.

3 Likes

The folks buying to double or 5x their money are business men, who want <1 year profits/immediate. The ones that don’t mind holding onto sv49 until it is oos will reap the most of the fruit, like a 5 year planner may.

The risk is buying $10-40 nm 20+ year old cards that may sell for $80-150 is they reach 9+. Sv49 is safe for those that see Pokemon long term.

It’s so backwards to amp up easy to grade Japanese cards that are older and produced for a smaller population, for high x00% profits when the beauty of english cards are highly overlooked, particularly modern cards.

Buying <$10 cards to get them to $100 is slightly greedy versus those willing to spend $300 to later get a $1,000 card much later. A majority of folks are english fluent collectors… and the japanese market is like an alt market that typically sells cheaper then their English card. When they go over their english counterpart, shows their overpricedness. Japanese Pikachu EX selling for much more then the US version. It’s boosted and overpriced in japanese.

Hyper zard, Reshizard and Flashfire Full Art (first full art zard) all had major dips after release spikes. Hyper zard is the only exception that recovered. FF FA is showing signs of growth, but remember it’s a 2014 card and it’s year 7. SV49 is more limited with many positive traits, but it’s still an incredible amount of risk for someone only looking for a 10-20% total return on investment. Sticking with the underpriced/overpriced topic, I think it’s overpriced. The market will likely keep this card flat to slightly positive in terms of growth (i.e. a small buyer pool with a price minimum on the card).

2 Likes

Keep in mind that the print of sv49 in recent boosters is abysmal to the degree that it is a fine price at $300+. The demand for the raw card shows it’s true demand. My ‘how do you buy cards’ thread was slaughtered but I was bringing light to many 'collector’s that buy for a profit margin, and one that expects 100% profits are buying undervalued cards with perceived future demand.

To buy a sv49 or modern card shows your collectivist hobby side, regardless of it’s future value. Like I said, it’s a beautiful looking card.

Flashfire is underpriced. You can see the booster box price increases to determine that.

So onto the ‘overpriced’- what we finding, lol

I would agree with rocket cards, i paid for all but 1 of the entire rocket holos set for £525 pounds for psa 9 1st editions a year ago, the dark charizard psa 9 1st alone went for nearly £500 2 days back alone…

I have mixed feelings on unlimited base/jungle/fossil as theres just so many copies out there that are not yet in circulation but still sitting in peoples binders from 20 years ago…yes over time the cards will slowly disappear but ive personally been in facebook groups for people buying and trading cards, some of the collections people are pulling out is simply ridiculous and they arent even aware of it till someone tells them they have 1 card in their folder alone thats worth in the £100s.

Almost all of these collections have these unlimited early sets, so psa 8s and 9s in unlimted are also slightly overpriced for me.

I would also say personally although i like shining holos, the pops arent the smallest and the unlimited holo versions go for maybe only 30%-40% less then the 1st edition where i would of thought they should go for atleast double/triple which i find strange!

2 Likes

Unlimited PSA 8/9 holos are overpriced? Most of the early set cards sell for 40-50 (except for some base set cards), that isn´t overpriced in the slightest. Once you start ordering huge amounts of “NM-Mint” unlimited holos from peoples collections, you´ll quickly realize that these cards will merely grade a 7 or 8.

3 Likes

Any psa 10 unlimited card
Psa 10 1st ed Gym challenge and heroes
Psa 10 1st ed jungle holo
Psa 10 base set holos

1 Like

Very few (if any) vintage cards are overpriced. We said the same thing back in 2016, and prices have only increased from there.

Modern is another story. At least upon the initial release of new sets, anyway.

5 Likes

You can literally say the same thing about any other vintage WOTC set/card. Spiked prices are not exclusive to Dark Charizard.

You are talking about what you paid a year ago. A year ago, you could get just about any PSA 9 1st Ed. WOTC holo for under $50 (with a few exceptions). Now, you’re lucky to get any for under $100 (and that is the very low end).

3 Likes

None are overpriced. Many are out of reach for many of us which causes frustration. We look at a card we want, do some mental math to figure a way to get our hands on it, then post on here because it seems you’ll have to sell your collection to get (1) card. Cards will fluctuate, but the market doesn’t lie.

Before a few of you are triggered, I am a guy doing everything I can to get some high-end cards. I understand the negative thoughts when seeing what you need to spend. In the end, all I can do is roll with where we are at, and make a decision for myself if it is worth the money.

15 Likes

Why does this post feel like it went through google translate 5 times before landing on english

10 Likes