People only in it for the $$$

This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I want to rant anyway.

I really do think it’s a shame so many people have profit at the forefront of their mind with this hobby and that collecting is at best a secondary goal. Yeah it’s a free market and you can all exercise your rights to seek riches and profit in any way you see fit - but it’s sad to see for the people who actually just love the cards.

I don’t care about the monetary value of the cards. If 1st edition base set charizard was worth $0.50, and that was never going to change, I’d still buy them. Why? Because the card is amazing. I’m lucky in some respects that some of my favourite cards are “worthless”. I’m also lucky I bought a lot of cards that are now really expensive when they were also “worthless.”

In my personal opinion, the only redeeming quality to all of this is people trying to sell cards at a profit to then reinvest in their own collections and acquire cards they really want. Personally, I will never sell a card in my collection unless it’s to help me buy another one that I actually really want. To date, I have sold 1 Pokemon card in my life. And I used the funds to buy a Gold Stamp Promo card for my own personal collection.

I know it’s not going to change. And I know this opinion won’t be agreed with as some people hate an “attack” on their freedom (read: ability to make lots of money) but that’s my rant.

3 Likes

I cannot lie.

I’m only it in for the Lumpy Gravy.

13 Likes

I really don’t care about how much people are in it for the money, or at least I’ve come to terms with it. In my (admittedly short) experience, however, I’d wager the people that are the most successful in the hobby are those who really love Pokémon, and that have been at it for the longest out of pure passion.

Can’t say I hate the state of things, as the hype/exposure brought me back, and luckily I’m in a decent financial situation so that I’ve acquired a collection that gives me joy, but I do think I understand where the frustration is coming from.

Keep in mind what I hear from someone a while ago (maybe scott?): 95% of all Pokémon cards cost less than a dollar. Thankfully the hobby is bigger than the interests of a few.

All one can do in a situation such as this is know that ones feelings cannot change or alter the actions/words/behavior of others. Theres a place in collecting for everyone from those looking to make some money and those just wanting to collect to have nice things. In the end, focus on yourself in this all and just ignore those bothersome aspects.

Youll be much more content in doing so and it will also allow you to be much happier while still being part of what you love.

8 Likes

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

We are all entitled to our opinion, but at the root of it, the Pokemon company who actually make the cards are a business and as any business their aim is to profit. This is the same case with distributors and the retail stores where you would have bought the Pokemon Cards from. This would also be the case with the card sleeves you buy and this is the same with the grading companies you grade your cards with - these are all businesses with an aim to profit. The auction houses you buy off, including ebay are also businesses and make profit from comission on the cards. The whole infrastructure from the card being made, to being in your hand, to the services around the item are all businesses.

So if we think individuals who invest in Pokemon Cards are bad people for example, where do we draw the line? Should the auction houses be doing it for free? Should the Pokemon company make cards for free?

I have seen many collectors who also have these views change their mindset and when their collections when they grow to life changing sums they sell out part/majority as was seen in the last year boom.

Ultimately there is nothing wrong with wanting to invest in these cards or profit in this industry - as long as it’s done in an honest way in my opinion!

12 Likes

I knew people would start saying that my feelings will change nothing so I included the “I know it’s not going to change” part.

Personally, I don’t know why we are so happy being so inclusive of people who are starting fights in shops and literally stealing stock to rush and sell things on eBay for double or triple mark up. It’s not all the people in it for the profit who do that but it’s definitely where the root of the problem lies. But sure we can all ignore it.

There’s a big difference between WotC selling a pack for $3 and someone else selling it for $400k. I’m not foolish enough to believe we shouldn’t have an economy in the first place though :sweat_smile:. I just think it’s a shame people are so obsessed with money and will latch on to anything they can to make a profit.

You shouldn’t compare price per unit, you should compare Profit, Net Profit as that is the take home money.

When comparing net profit, WOTC most likely made billions in net profit, whereas the most successful investor/collector on the secondary market has made an absolute tiny fraction of that.

If people who profit in the secondary Pokemon market are bad people, then why support the Pokemon Company at all who are the real winners making billions in profit?

4 Likes

I can’t hear you over all the money I made

14 Likes

Hard disagree. I would rather Pokemon didn’t fade into obscurity and it 100% would if there was no money to be made

4 Likes

i’m only in it for the money. why else would i waste my valuable time playing with fake cartoon animals.

3 Likes

I buy and sell to make the hobby sustainable.

Feels like a r/pokemontcg post.

19 Likes

It’s a necessity that cards are bought and resold in an aftermarket. It sounds to me like you’re more-so upset about scalpers wiping the shelf at target than someone just buying a card and reselling it for a profit. I could be wrong.

Think about it like cars, dealerships (including sole proprietorship individuals) will purchase cars on auction with no intent to drive or enjoy the car, the intention is to sell it to a customer for profit. I mean, the lights have to stay on somehow don’t they? I don’t see anything wrong in this situation. Unfortunately, the barrier to entry in the car market puts off most people. You would need a lot more money than you would for Pokemon cards, space for the cars, and a license to even participate in the auction. I think the situation that would bother you would be an individual buying out a dealership and reselling to customers over MSRP (dealerships already do that btw).

In terms of Pokémon, the barrier to entry is pretty much non existent. I mean really. As long as you’re old enough to make a PayPal account, and know how to use eBay, Instagram, etc, you’ll be able to buy and sell. So when people are looking to make extra money, some see Pokemon cards as a realistic option for them. And not all business strategies are equal. Scalping the shelf at target is not as profitable as buying what you actually believe in, and only selling when you absolutely have to. I sold a lot of cards at the end of 2019 (ouch), not because I wanted to but because I was a college student and I needed the money for a lease. Then covid hit and I no longer needed the lease. I’d like to think I’m not a bad person for doing that. When I purchased that PSA 10 1st edition Shining Tyranitar I said, “this is my 2nd favorite Shining, and I hope to never get rid of it, but if I absolutely have to, I can”.

That being said, if I purchased the card thinking “I know this sells for more on eBay, so let me just buy it”, all I really did was take advantage of a sale to profit the difference. Then I can use that profit to buy a card I do like or pay bills etc. I personally am not one to wipe the shelf at Target because I believe it is just not worth anybody’s time, but some people think otherwise.

Anyways, I might be digressing here, but these are my thoughts on this kind of stuff.

6 Likes

www.elitefourum.com/t/what-are-your-unpopular-opinions-in-pokemon/24431/1

2 Likes

It surprises me how many people don’t actually like Pokemon cards on this forum :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

It was also a rant and a complaint :man_shrugging:t2:

This feels like a r/pokemontcg reply :roll_eyes:

I’m always amazed and grateful that I can search on eBay and pretty much find whatever card I want, and better yet have a choice of conditions, and know that I am paying a fair market price due to the competition between sellers.

Business sellers are very much needed for the health of the hobby

10 Likes