Thoughts on collectors hoarding high end cards

What are your thoughts about collectors that hoard certain high end cards? Is there a negative stigma associated with these types of collectors, or is generally considered acceptable? For a example, someone owning 10 psa 10 base 1st charizards, or 10 psa 10 goldstar charizards, or 15 psa 10 base 1st blastoise, etc.

Collectors collect for different reasons and different things appeal to different collectors. I do understand the appeal in collecting multiple copies of high end, hard to get cards but was wondering about the general communityā€™s thoughts on that.

See this thread: www.elitefourum.com/t/buyout-of-1st-edition-psa-10-zard/23838/1

Iā€™ll just state IMO, typically itā€™s done to try and corner the market to raise the value of the cards they own. Iā€™m sure plenty will disagree with that statement though.

2 Likes

Everyone should be entitled to collect whatever they want, and however many they want. Thereā€™s no set rules anywhere and if someone thinks itā€™s negative itā€™s probably just jealousy. Work hard and you can have them too, if not then someone who does will have them instead.

21 Likes

I think heā€™s asking more whatā€™s the true intention behind it, rather than if people should be allowed to or not.

2 Likes

Im no one to judge whatever a collector decides to collect. My goal is 1 single copy of the cards i seek; not more; but i know people hunting several Charizards; Eeveesā€¦ even Psyducks, lolā€¦ Let them be ::heart::

8 Likes

Itā€™s an open market for pieces of cardboard with ink. You donā€™t need any of this to survive. However people collect is entirely their choice.

Also for the negative people, where is this line in the sand? Can businesses not own multiple cards, boxes? They should stop their livelihood because they built a position on certain cards to survive? Iā€™d rather have a reputable store or collector own multiple cards for continuity.

10 Likes

Even so, if a collector/flipper etc. wants to hoard cards to dominate/saturate or otherwise a market they can. Itā€™s an open market and if someone has the ability to buy the cards they want first then so be it. Yes, for new collectors it may be a shame, but nothing comes easy and collecting can take years of searching to obtain one card. One just has to wait in line.

1 Like

Itā€™s their money, why should I care?

8 Likes

For me these types of threads arenā€™t necessarily about the topic in which they are directed but more so an exploration into humans in general.

7 Likes

I dig it like diglett.

I dont have any problem with someone who has the means to own a significant chunk or all of a particular thing. If theyā€™re doing it to corner the market for their financial gain, good for their wallets. Hopefully they arenā€™t too greedy though! And if theyā€™re doing it cause they simply want to have a rad collection, cool for them too!

It might suck for those who aspire to have the particular item in question but thatā€™s just how the cool breeze bloowwssss

2 Likes

Sometimes I look at throphy cards and I wish that people didnt own 1-3 copies. But then I remember that im just jelouse cause I want 1-3 myself

3 Likes

I think itā€™s just a different way of collecting, and awesome in its own way.

A collection is unique to yourself, and having multiple copies of a rare card is another way of showing your dedication to the hobby. I donā€™t think of it as hoarding, but more so that you like the card so much you donā€™t mind having multiple copies of the same thing. Furthermore, technically speaking, cards are not printing 100% identically so the variations may be noticeable to the ultimate collector too.

When I know someone has multiple copies of a really rare card, I donā€™t really think ā€œdamn, that person is hoarding the supply from the rest of usā€, but more that Iā€™m in awe and think ā€œwhat type of dedication and skill did they use to grab multiple copies of that card?ā€ :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t bother me. Why worry about what someone else is doing with their time and resources.

6 Likes

Why stop with multiple copies? Who is to decide who owns a single copy? There are 7 billion people in the world, and nowhere near that many charizards. There will never be enough supply to meet the demand. Even cards with 100,000 copies, that is still not 7 billion.

So by the same cynical logic: If you own 1 copy you are ā€œtakingā€ it from someone else.

In reality, there is no taking. There are only owners and buyers. They are the only people who decide. Everything else is noise.

7 Likes

I get the gut reaction with respect to equity in this situation. I think what this issue really gets at is relative happiness/enjoyment. If there are 100 copies of a card, and one person owns 10, I understand that there is some sort of visceral reaction to that fact if you consider that that personā€™s enjoyment from acquiring a 10th copy is likely much lower than somebody elseā€™s from acquiring 1.

That said, I think itā€™s important to remember that high-end Pokemon cards are pretty much the epitome of luxury goods. Nobody ā€œneedsā€ them even in the most attenuated sense, so I donā€™t see anything particularly wrong with fairly acquiring as many as you want for any reason or no reason at all.

10 Likes

Such a great answer, but sometimes i feel like i ā€˜ā€˜needā€™ā€™ some cards, haha! Wellā€¦that might be my passionā€¦

2 Likes

Now is the time to seize the means of collection and return shiny cardboard to the proletariat, comrades.

5 Likes

For 20 years Iā€™ve been chasing Base Charizards in the best possible condition. Itā€™s been a rewarding, and at times frustrating, journey. Going into it I knew I could never own all of them but after two decades I only amassed 10% which is a little disappointing.

Now, do I begrudge anybody in the 90%. Of course not. I totally understand them. They are me. Being jealous or a hater would take the fun out of my hard earned accomplishments.

When that first prerelease article came out in 1998 and declared you ā€œGotta catch em allā€, I took it to heart. I just didnā€™t realize it would be impossible;)

11 Likes

I can see why people might be mad about a certain card price increasing due to a few people buying as much as possible and restricting supply. However, it probably only bothers those still chasing the card in question. In which case you have to up your bid :wink: if thatā€™s not an option then you need to find a seller who accepts ā€œemotional dollarsā€