What are your 2024 collection goals?

shh becca, don’t let your dreams be dreams. You can do it!

https://www.elitefourum.com/t/what-else-do-you-collect-besides-pokemon/43568/121?u=pokerd

2 Likes

Truly amazing

Its a great card! Really stunning. I already collect japanese DP heavily, but this card has alluded me.

1 Like

I’ve never really wrote any collection goals, but I know its good to do so, as it’s more likely to happen. For 2024 I’d like to do just 3 out of the 5 things:

1. Start to sell on ebay and sell 10 items
  2. Go to a signing event and submit my autographs for submission (I’m already set to go to the January Arita event)
  3. Attend Worlds 2024 here in Hawaii
  4. Get around to submitting my Munch Mimikyu in for grading (the last psa10 card I’m missing)
  5. Pick up 1 or 2 Japanese 1st edition Crystal Cards, raw or graded

I’d also like to attend a Kouki Saitou card signing event, but thats not really in my control as even he doesn’t know when his next card signing event will be.

3 Likes
  1. Get all Cynthia full arts including CSRs in Simplified/Traditional Chinese
  2. Get all of Zinnia full arts including CSRs/Special Art Rayquaza V in Traditional/Simplified Chinese
  3. Start collecting Korean aswell

that’s all i can think of for now lol

5 Likes

Every time you start this thread I hammer out some goals for myself and every time I don’t follow them and just impulse buy one-off cards. I just don’t think goals are for me really.

The following are things I think are cool at the moment:

1. old back holos: the graphic design and Holo are just both strictly better than English imo. Frankly I think I’m finally tired of looking at English cards. I’m sure I’ll come back around though.
    That’s really it for Pokémon TBH. I have most of the the EX era 10s I really care about and the ones I’m missing are more expensive than I’m looking to pay I guess.

2. Vintage Yugioh of all sorts:

• bandai
  • OCG series 1 and 2
  • English 1st edition

I’m into these for a lot of the same reasons I think old back holos hot. Well designed but distinctly 90s graphic design, banger Holos, affordable if you’re willing to hunt. All around nice objects to hold really.

1. MTG cards that are actually rare (but NOT serialized :-1:)
  • rare signatures / proofs
  • modern prize promos
  • gem mint holos

MTG is low key putting out some solid promos right now, despite Hasbro’s best efforts to torch any meaning in the world. I’m working on winning what I can and buying what I can’t. There are vintage MTG cards that punch way above weight too.

TLDR: I’m bad at goals so I just purchase in a vibes-based way, and loads of stuff has bad vibes for me rn. This just makes me appreciate the good stuff more though I think.

6 Likes
Last years goals

Looking back on 2023 I achieved some of the things I set out to do. A main goal was to streamline my collection, and trim the fat. I was initially held back in this regard by wanting to grade to optimize returns, and one of the goals was to make my first personal PSA-submission. I made 2 PSA-submissions, so I made that happen. Consolidating/selling has been slowwww, partially because I have a hard time letting go after all, and partially because I only sell locally. Another goal was to add Vaporeon and Jolteon goldstar from the PLAY promo’s to my collection, which I’m happy to report I managed to do.

For 2024 my goals will be:

• Sell more! I have (relatively) so much money tied up in sealed items, raw cards and slabs that could be put to better use.
  • Add Flareon goldstar PLAY promo to my collection.
  • Visit Japan to hunt cards directly from the source (trip already planned).
  • Collect some vending series cards, I love these cards, and it’s been on the back of my mind for almost a year now.

@stagecoach Impressive how much of the PLAY promo’s you managed to collect in a year! I remember discussing how you’d fare on a budget, but it seems you took a liking to the set ;D.

4 Likes
  • Focus on bigger items for collection. (prize porygon and a few others)
  • Make my collection leaner to reclaim space.
  • Buy fewer, but bigger items.
  • Sell more.
  • Attend worlds or an arita singing event… have to miss Jan tho.
3 Likes

I was possessed by the PLAY spirit and could not be stopped. Until I ran out of money. Then I stopped. :thinking:

I haven’t been able to buy any additional cards for months, so I suffered some withdrawal, but I did make a lot of progress quickly.

8 Likes

That resonated hard with me @stagecoach. I feel the same way and totally get the withdrawal feeling :sweat_smile: I like how you just grey lined the Play espeon and umbreon. I dont blame you on that and would have totally done the same myself.

1 Like

I know my limits, lol. Sometimes I accept defeat right out the gate.

2024 Goals:

• Finish off 1st Ed Base Set Binder (have 6 holos left, got Charizard this year at the lowest price I could :raised_hands:)
  • Finish off 1st Ed Neo Genesis-Revelation binder sets. Still need Umbreon & T17. Got my Shining Gyarados this year :sparkles:
  • Want to collect more Japanese in general, especially vintage and pre-2020 promos. Really want to finish the Vending Series and VS sets off.
  • Might collect more WOTC sets, like Neo Destiny & E-Reader sets. Still undecided.
  • Might look at some MTG & Yu-Gi-Oh cards that I’ve wanted as the prices have come down quite considerably on a lot of them.
4 Likes

This is my first ever post on this site but for collection goals I’d say probably the following:

Finish creating kyoko umemoto binder
Complete all of the Japanese platinum era sets
Those are the main two things for now, and I’m not fully expecting to have both of them done fully by end of 2024, but would be nice to get a good chunk of them done.

16 Likes

I feel so basic after reading all of these but I’m still “working on” a Pokedex binder. More specifically, I have a smaller binder for gen 1 and 2 that I want to fill with WotC era cards and for the rest I’d like to get non-rulebox cards for consistency. Doubtful I will finish in 2024 but I’ll keep making slow progress.

I also started a 151 binder that would nice to complete, but I doubt I will spend the money on some of the more expensive SIRs.

8 Likes

You have no idea what I am capable of

8 Likes

Better hurry up bud

2 Likes

I have one goal for next year. Secure a November 1996 CoroCoro unpeeled appendix of Pikachu and Jigglypuff. Either just the appendix or appendix in the comic. It’s the only one remaining that I need.

12 Likes

These are just specifically my Pokémon card related goals. I happy to say that I completed most of my 2023 goals.

1. I have to start grading some cards and I buy a PSA membership to get the $15 rate.

2. I want to start selling a few cards (already started a little bit).

3. Focus less on autograph cards as I never set out to be solely an autograph card collector.

4. I want to buy more cards that have a historic meaning to the franchise (I have a couple cards in mind, but I need the money to make it a reality).

I’m sure over the next year these goals will either evolve into something more, or become completed.

4 Likes

I remember posting on the 2023 collection goals near the beginning of the year and my main goal being the mario pikachu full art. It was very painful to that card balloon in value when I started saving up vs just 6 months later when I gave up. Maybe Ill get it next year.

6 Likes