Regret purchases

Anyone here made a big purchase during the hype and ended up losing out? Or know of other who did?

Just wanted to hear some stories

Honestly, no.

I was very picky with what I bought during the hype (a.k.a. I didn’t buy any English cards and completely pivoted to Japanese).

Most people who made purchases they would end up regretting during the 2020 hype were people who just didn’t have enough experience in the hobby at the time to understand what was going on (which is completely understandable on their part).

9 Likes

Not really. Everything I bought was something I wanted and is all worth the same or significantly more since being purchased.

3 Likes

This is totally off topic but how do you get the Pokémon sprites under your answer?

1 Like
4 Likes

Thank you so much! :sob:

2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll find a lot of collectors with regret on e4. As most have stated, their knowledge of the hobby has largely prevented them from making poor financial decisions.

That said, you may find this related topic of interest:

4 Likes

I paid 120€ for Special Delivery Charizard, now I can find it for half :sob:

3 Likes

Thank you!

Gold Star Umbreon 25th - when it first released I knew it would come down in price, but I also thought there was a chance that everyone would want it since it’s a cheap alternative to a 40k and 3k card. So I paid $85 and $54 for my Japanese and English copy, then it came way down a month after release.

There are a few cards I bought during 2020-2021 that I paid through the nose for because that’s just what the market was at the time. Do I wish I got them for less? Absolutely. But do I regret buying them? Not really. I still wanted those cards.

I have bought things I regretted in my long tenure but not much during the pandemic hype. At that point I’d been collecting for ten years so it was easy to remain independent from the hype.

3 Likes

It’s wild how expensive that card is. A 9 or 8 is 3k? I thought it would be worth more

Honestly, nothing really comes to mind. There’s a few cards I could probably downgrade from PSA 10 to say NM grade and free up quite a bit of money, but I don’t necessarily regret buying them either. In the 2020 hype cycle I completely avoided Pokemon and was mainly focused on MTG cards and other investments. I figured it was basically in a short-term bubble, and I just refused to get sucked in even though I wanted to buy some of the cards back then.

Looking at some of the crazy prices then compared to now, I’m glad I waited quite a while before making some bigger purchases. In the longer term though, maybe some of those crazy prices in 2020 will look small. It will be interesting to see where things end up over time.

2 Likes

I meant English light play Umbreon is like 3k

1 Like

There is only one item I’ve ever felt like I overpaid for, but that was 11 years ago.

During the hype I didn’t buy much, I helped a friend buy some big stuff right before everything went kablooey. Those things then peaked and “crashed” (still higher than initial purchase), and are now consistently more expensive than when he bought them.

Didn’t mtg go up during Covid too?

Well, it seems to have recovered quite nicely lmao i bought one for $60 in the summer, planning to buy more later, but theyre nearing $100 now lol

I wish i wouldve spent less money on ripping product. Idk if i regret it because i learned a valuable lesson from it, but i dumped so much money on modern english that i couldve spent elsewhere… shit hurts to think about sometimes

1 Like

No, but I do have regret sales. Right before the hype I sold my PSA 10 1st Ed Dark Zard for 1k. Fast forward to the peak later that year it went as high as 10k… :sob:

True, it’s back to 5k now I think

I see some for $60-$70 on ebay buy it now

1 Like