What card do you regret passing on?

What card do you regret passing on? Not buying earlier or selling?

Someone listed a psa 9 1st edition base raichu on ebay for $200 buy it now when i started my mission of getting all the raichus.

I missed it by about 10s. So that!

2 Likes

There are some very good replies in this post.

Cheers!

1 Like

The Pikachu festa 2016 promo… When it released I was planning on buying 5-10 of them. They were selling for around $30 on eBay at the time and that’s the price I wanted to pay, but all listings were $40+… I waited too long and they went up to $60-70 and I didn’t buy any. Now they are selling for around $14k in PSA 10 :sob:

6 Likes

Apparently a lot of pre-2020 Japanese cards. Some of them have exploded recently (mainly waifu related). For example, Dream League Lillie was maybe $200 for a PSA 10 just a year ago and now it’s $2000+? Just insane. I didn’t actually want that specific card for any particular reason other than I just wanted to build the Dream League/Cosmic Eclipse set at some point since I liked a lot of the artwork in it. I should have just bought it when I had the chance (like 100+ auctions I was in).

Anyway, at least I did get the Erika card I liked the most for like $50 in PSA 10 before this massive spike:

Aside from this I can name a couple others:

• 1st Ed Base Charizard (took soo long to get a deal on it)
  • Other WOTC 1st Ed holos in general
  • Poncho Pikachus
5 Likes

Be me. October 2019. Saved up for some nice promos for my 4th trip to Japan. Didn’t bring enough cash in a country with a cash-based economy. Bank max withdrawal was 1k usd. Credit card max was 5k usd. Card cost around 10k usd. Didn’t think about contacting my Friend (who i later found out was willing to lend me the cash). Held it in my hand. Decided it was worthy. Decided to come back January 2020 with cash in hand. This time i was sure. Too bad. Card is gone. Went there at the tail-end of my 5th trip. Passed up on more cool cards the days prior because i was holding out on the grail. Ended up flying home a failure. Wiped my tears with my now-useless cash.

Edit: at the time, my friend was also in Japan and helped me purchase other cards by being my translator

21 Likes

This one hurt to read

4 Likes

:smiling_face_with_tear:

I was planning on collecting the sun and moon tag teams and their alts, but they recently just exploded. I was looking at the Wailord and Magikarp 5 months ago for $50 and said “Oh I have time.”

Spoiler: I didn’t :sob:

5 Likes

I wanted those too and thought “I’ll have YEARS to buy these cheap”. I was so wrong, unless there’s a huge rug pull and the prices correct a lot at some point. Never would have expected such a big growth so suddenly. I was thinking maybe a 2x increase in the next few years, but not 10x or 20x.

1 Like

When scream promos released, I had the mimikyu in my cart at 34.99$, and decided to pass. I try to not think about it too much :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

I remember um-ing and ahh-ing over a PSA 7 1st edition Base Charizard for about $2100 in 2019. It had been sitting on eBay for ages. Oh well :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Gonna be that guy and say the Lillie & Cosmog Special Box card. The illustration has a lovely children’s book aesthetic to it that made it stand out.

A few months ago I saw someone selling a PSA 10 for $500 CAD and passed because I couldn’t justify spending that much on a modern card when I had so many other vintage goals. Now that it’s more than quadrupled in price I definitely can’t justify it.

5 Likes

Snap Koffing at $600. :skull:

38 Likes

CC.

1 Like

98 Pika Trophy 2nd Place for $4k
PSA 10 1st Ed Charizard for $2.5k
PSA 10 Shadowless Charizard for $700
PSA 10 1st Ed Lugia for 1.7k
PLAY Umbreon for $4k
PLAY Espeon for $3k

7 Likes

This hurt to read. I know I grabbed the Lugia in 17 or 18 for the $1800 range and that was my one big win.

Bummed I sold:
1st Edition Mewtwo= $2200
1st Edition Fossil Dragonite- $750
Numerous 1st edition WOTC packs for around $70

2 Likes

Got offered a PSA 10 alolan friends for 4k just 1 month ago. Couldn’t justify the capital hit. Now they’re selling for 14k.

6 Likes

This card is being pumped.

2 Likes

Indeed. Definitely staying away from anything affected by this speculative bubble/pump for the time being.

On the bright side, many vintage JP promo cards either haven’t been affected or have flown under the radar. Great time to pick those up!

1 Like