Which card did you regret buying?

We have a thread about missed opportunities.
But the opposite would be quite interesting as well.

Which cards did you regret actually buying?

7 Likes

What a perfect time! Yesterday I bought this for like 5€ at a local market, I didn’t even know why. Man, I hate luvdisc, more I look at it more it reminds me of a scrotum.

I could have had a pizza instead…

24 Likes

This will be controversial but skyridge crystal charizard holo. I bought it in a PSA 8 about two years ago at a really good deal from a friend.

I never grew attached to the card. I sold it last weekend to another friend who has been looking for one. They will appreciate it much more than I did. It just sat in storage. I looked at it maybe 6 times over those two years?

7 Likes

There are a few PSA 9 JP neo cards that I bought during covid. Paid too much, but they were cheaper than the Eng alternative… :dizzy_face:

Generally, I try not to have regrets. The few bad choices are part of valuable lessons.

2 Likes

Basically every card that was in played to poor condition.

A few years ago I thought I’d save some money by buying a few 1st Wotc Holos in PL condition and could not stand seeing them in a binder.

7 Likes

I feel that tbh. I got played cards before too and I just always wished I had bought graded cards at high grades

1 Like

I really feel you, but I think is a normal step on the collector journey.

Priorities change over time: I started wanting to quickly add missing cards to my collection and not caring at all if they were badly creased or inked. Then I raised my standard, but only when my experience growed and I decided to be more serious about this hobby.

2 Likes

This isn’t a huge deal, but I regret buying a bunch of PSA 9 shadowless commons back in the peak of 2020/2021. Would’ve rather spent that money on some things I had more attachment too, especially since you can’t even sell them for the price to grade right now. But that’s okay. I was directionless, and it helped me get to where I am now.

4 Likes

Did you buy them to complete the set?

Expedition Dragonite Holo PSA 10 JP.
An ugly art compared to the Magazine Trainer Dragonite. Good thing it has appreciated in value and looks neat next to my other eCards. But on it’s own, it’s ugly.

Kind of? But at the same time, I didn’t expect I would ever have the money for a complete holo set. So it really was aimless. That’s what I regret about it.

1 Like

get out

7 Likes

But… look at those eyes, how could you be mean to it

IMG_2625

6 Likes

I would argue crystal charizard is uglier

4 Likes

I totally agree my friend.

1 Like

Not a fan of big feet poses.

1 Like

Honestly… so far I don’t have any real regrets to a point I’ve said “I wish I didn’t buy this”. However, I feel like I overpaid on some cards in the past. For example some Gym Heroes/Gym Challenge 1st Ed holos in 2021. They seemed interesting to me and although I enjoy the cards in my collection, it seems pretty clear to me that the market by and large prefers the earlier WOTC sets or the later Neo era and seem to mostly skip over the Gym sets.

I’d say for sure I’d take at least a 20-25% hit if I was to auction them off today. I guess it could be worse because I don’t dislike the cards, but I got caught up in trying to find “deals” in a market that was still inflated at the time.

4 Likes

Isn’t it weird how middle sets in wotc seem to be over shadowed by base and neo sets?

Jungle, fissile, rocket and gym sets along with base 2 aren’t as popular

1 Like

Waiting for someone that says would love big feet pose Lillie. I don’t have the courage

1 Like

Yeah for sure. I mean, it’s understandable in ways because most people have an attraction to a certain set or release from childhood. Like for me personally, I think of Base/Jungle/Fossil the most and admittedly the Gym sets and even Team Rocket just weren’t on my radar as I began collecting again. Because Base/Jungle/Fossil cover the original 151, I think it could be more of a drive to skip right into the Neo era once you have them all collected since that’s where Gen 2 starts up.

So I think there’s various factors involved here, but I would say the biggest driver could be tied to the beginning and ending of a certain generation of Pokemon and all the other sets become more like “extras” for people.

1 Like