Have you ever significantly overpaid for an item?

Wondering if anyone would care to share stories about a particular item they believe they ended up notably overpaying for. Between FOMO, auction hype, inexperience, and speculation, it definitely happens.

I once bought a yellow Pokemon Colosseum e pack for a price much higher than I was comfortable with thinking I would never see it again, but then saw one posted less than a month later for a lot less. Was super bummed but now I know to be patient.

I “overpayed” for most of my rarest cards. I was willing to pay more than the next guy at the time. Today they are worth more; you never know what will happen.

Also I just bought a vintage mtg set today at full market value as well.

I honestly never worry if I got a “deal” on something I genuinely want. Over a decade in the game and that thought has never crossed my mind.

13 Likes

Paid $500 for PSA 9 shadowless blastoise last year which was like peak price. Coulda waited and found one at $300 or < a few months later >.<… There were cheaper options at the time I just got mine because of how clean it was

2 Likes

I bought some BTC at 7500 and ETC at 15.6, so far those have sucked. I’ve been lucky with ETH having bought most at 157ish

You can only make decisions with the current information at hand. We all have scenarios of getting a steal and also overpaying. Hindsight is 20/20 so don’t sweat it.

3 Likes

Thats a great mindset to have. I definitely worry too much about getting a deal out of envy for people I see getting items I want for lower prices. Can be a toxic way of thinking that makes the hobby significantly less fun.

Prices fluctuate in the short term for all items, it might also be helpful to shoot for long term growth (3-5 years). Try waiting a year or more and then check back on the price of the item.

Someone here once mentioned that Trophy cards are always overpriced and if you want a truly rare item, you have to overpay. That could not be more true and I have overpaid on most of my truly rare cards.

Hindsight is 20/20, you win some you lose some but if you genuinely want an item and you bought it out of pure interest, you always win (maybe except your wallet).

2 Likes

Quite a few times but was happy to pay a little extra in those transactions.

I feel sorry for all the people who were buying/collecting Eng. PSA 10 EXs a year or two ago, I paid around $180AUD for M Gyarados EX probably worth $80ish now. There were worse examples out there I am sure, I swear some EXs were sold for close to 1k AUD but I might be mis-remembering

I still think that card should be worth $500 and it probably will in the near future.

I did something similar with Raichu. I paid $350 or $375 and I don’t regret it even if it’s a $200-250 card right now.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say I’m good with knowing when not to purchase anything, but I don’t think I’ve ever overpaid for a card. Usually I chicken out when the price gets to a certain point, and quite often that comes back to bite me - I have a few regrets for not paying overprice at the time for cards which are now a lot harder to find. There are a few Pichus I’d love to have in PSA 10 which right now I do believe are significantly overprice, like the 1st Edition Neo Genesis (~$450) and e-reader holo (~$250); but I also thought these were overprice a few years ago when they were significantly cheaper than they are now.

That’s like those that bought the mega charizard :rofl: was like $200-300 now it’s cheap as ! Pop is ridiculous

I don’t understand the concept of something being “significantly overpriced” if it’s the going rate?

Those cards both sit on eBay for months with a buy-it-now price that high before anyone buys them. Usually when they come up for auction instead they sell for much cheaper. I feel like the current price is entirely based on one guy buying one for much higher than it was worth at the time a couple of years ago and the fact that there’s always at least one of them available on eBay at any given time.

Yes, people do buy them, but they’re not exactly a hot selling card. For the Neo Genesis card, there are 3 of them available right now with a buy-it-now price between $595 and $633. I believe the $633 one has been resisted four times so far, meaning it’s been on eBay for over 4 months. The price of this particular card hasn’t budged in over a year, either. In 2017 one sold in PSA 10 for $284, then $379.99 then $579.99. The only sales this year were $500 then $405. Nobody is buying them for the price they’re listed at currently on eBay, but the sellers know that if they list them for long enough, someone with more money than sense will buy one. Personally I wouldn’t part with more than $350 for one, but even then I’d sit on that decision for a long time as it’s a lot of money to part with for a relatively common card in the grand scheme of things.

Furthermore, 3 months after that 1st edition one sold for $579.99, I bought an unlimited PSA 10 for $53, over 10x less than its 1st edition counterpart. I really don’t think there should be that much of a price difference between 1st edition and unlimited.

I bought Steam Siege cards.

11 Likes

Nah im cheap

1 Like

Yeah. Just yesterday for GX Ultra Shiny boxes - I think the price point is ridiculous but what can you do. I don’t think it will get lower unless there will be more boxes printed.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t remember overpaying for items, so either I never thought about things in those terms, or I have been extremely lucky. I felt like I overpaid for services a few times in the past though, usually restaurants as you need to order first and only later do you realise food or service are extremely poor in comparison to the price they charge.

Regarding buying something today for a price and seeing it at a lower one tomorrow it is not necessarily overpaying as it is usually tied up to other conditions. Ebay is prodigal in having price swings that may lead you to believe you’ve overpaid for something when in fact it’s all about convenience. If you’re using Buy it Now the price will usually go higher than auction, but that’s what you pay for the convenience and risk free experience of not having to depend on other people’s offers.

Also, if you buy something today and it goes on sale tomorrow that’s not overpaying in my opinion, just bad luck. This month will be a great example with Black Friday coming up. Pretty sure most things you buy for the next couple of weeks will look overpriced after Black Friday discounts kick in.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a shadowless zard for $250 thinking it was NM from the pictures. Turns out it was damaged as hell and the pictures were misleading