What do you regret?

I am sitting here feeling quite stupid for not purchasing cards I really wanted (as prices how quadrupled in the recent months). Does anyone else have a card they wanted to buy and never bought (it stinks to feel you missed out)?

Nothing, stop thinking about the past and start thinking about now.

36 Likes

Nothing either. Life is too short for regrets.

1 Like

The people above me already hit the nail on the head.

Don’t focus on what prices were in the past. Today’s prices might sound cheap in the future.

Glass Half Full not Half Empty right?

1 Like

Regret is a paradoxical feeling.

You act and made decisions based on the information you had at the time. So regret exists because you now have new information that would make you see that the past decision you made was not the best one.

So don’t feel regret.

15 Likes

A lot but there’s nothing I can do except move on and try again

1 Like

Nothing really tbh. I mean, I could say not buying the Solid Golden Base Set Pikachu for 2.6k USD as pre-release back in 2016 (including middleman fees, shipping, import) since it’s worth 12.5k+ USD now; or I could say buying the Pokémon with YOU Wagon promo for 950 USD when they started popping up for the first time at the start of 2017 since its release in 2014, since it’s worth only 150-250 USD now. But no, I don’t really regret those decisions.

When the Solid Golden Base Set Pikachu was released at the end of 2016 my most expensive card I bought at that time was ‘just’ 300 USD. I had also just bought my first car for little over 4.75k USD. So I wasn’t willing to spend more than 2.5k USD on a single card, even if it was a Base Set Pikachu made of actual gold. Did I expect it’s current high price? No, not at all. Do I now regret not buying it? Kinda, sure. But: do I think I made the wrong decision back then? Not at all. Do I regret that decision I made back then? Not at all.

Similar with the Pokémon with YOU Wagon promo. It was released in 2014 (given to kids that survived the tsunami and earthquakes of 2011 in Japan), and none had popped up for sale for years. So when one popped up for sale at the start of 2017, everyone who was looking for it jumped on that auction. That first one ended for 1.35k USD (excluding fees), which I unfortunately lost. The next day, another one popped up for 950 USD buyout, sold within an hour. Third one that popped up I placed a bid on of 777 USD. Before that auction ended, ten more had popped up including some with lower buyout prices than my max bid. I ended up winning that third copy for 770 USD (7 USD apart from my max bit, rofl :confused: ), which ended up being 950 USD including middleman, shipping, and mostly import fees on arrival. Within half a year their price dropped to 300 USD due to the flooded market, and nowadays they are worth 150-250 USD, and it has been around that price-point for the past 1.5 years. Did I expect it’s current low price? No, not at all. Do I now regret buying it? Kinda, sure. Would have saved a lot of money if I was a bit more patient. But: do I think I made the wrong decision back then? Perhaps. Do I regret that decision I made back then? Not at all. What if those three first auctions were the only ones that were popping up, and no more would pop up for years again like the three years prior. I would really regret not buying this amazing Pikachu card for my Pikachu collection.

We can’t change the past, so what’s the point of regretting something anyway? And although we can’t predict the future (this pandemic and the recent price increases are something I don’t think anyone could have predicted a few years back), we can still learn from our past for the future. To give an example: I’ve only bought a single Mario/Luigi Pikachu cosplay box and the XY-P Mitsuhiro Arita Pikachu as pre-order for my own collection for about 30 USD each. Nowadays they are worth 1k+ USD each. Do I regret not buying 100 copies so I could have sold them now for a huge profit? Sure. But the same can be said about not buying that winning lottery ticket. Or not buying hundred Base Set booster boxes 21 years ago. I now just know that if a similar promo is released, I just have to buy more than one.

Instead of regretting it, it’s better to learn from it. :blush:

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

Opening the logan paul thread

38 Likes

Live and learn!

I missed the boat big time on Scream Mimikyu, was even watching then consistently around the $200 price point (PSA 10). Never decided to pick one up until it was to late and I had to YOLO on a raw copy.

Similarly with the Rocket’s case cards. I bought the sleeves upon release but never the promos. Had to shell out 3k for a graded set years later instead of a couple hundred on launch.

I mean there are always gonna be cards I wish i bought before their market value increased (Unlimited Charizard Base Sets, Newer Japanese Pikachu Promos, etc.) but I cant really be too upset because i had opportunity after opportunity to pull the trigger on them in the past and never did. That’s how I come to terms with not taking advantage of good deals in the past.

Also, most times you never know a good deal until it’s too late!!

1 Like

you did whatever you thought was best at the time

7 Likes

This 100%

No regrets about a specific deal I didn’t take, but I wish I would have entered the hobby sooner. I started studying at university in 2011, and in theory I could have taken a side-job and spend all those earnings from 2011 to 2017 on Pokemon cards. I didn’t see the signs though, unfortunately.

1 Like

Lots of awesome replies here. Well said though, don’t look at what you missed out on. There will be people in the future that would have loved an opportunity to buy cards right now as opposed to the prices they will be dealing with. Don’t let yourself become one of them.

6 Likes

I only regret taking a break during the sun and moon era, it was fuelled by my dislike of the games (I tried playing them but I can’t get over the hand holding / how easy they were). I’m glad I came back when a bunch of new shiny cards were reprinted. But I did miss out on that Rayquaza card stand, ah well.

1 Like

I regret everytime i forget to compliment someone or thank someone… thats about it

3 Likes

I was always trying to balance being cards and not spending too much money. I was always stressing out about how I thought I was spending too much. Now I just focus on what I did get at really low prices compared to now and am thankful for that.

1 Like

I regret not having regrets.

1 Like

I try not to have any regrets, but I can’t seem to shake off the feeling of selling my PSA 10 Corocoro Mew 3-ish years ago for 350 bucks! I miss her dearly :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I think it’s normal to have or feel regret. What matters most is putting them behind as was mentioned before:

I could have bought a Snap card for $2000 but it would have put me at major risk of financial insecurity. When I started playing with bigger money like $50+, I told myself that I would never put my collection above my finances. I have stuck to that and am glad I did in the end. Even if it cost me the one variant I will never have.

4 Likes