PSA10 JP. Rayquaza GoldStar 1st Edition - Sell or Hold

Any idea how the japanese market will increase in value the next months/years? Personally, I expect a big growth in the near future, but I’d like to get some other opinions on it. Especially interested what you think about the popular 1st edition GoldStars in PSA10 (Rayquaza f.e.). Hold or sell?

Cheers,
Dom

You said months or years. Months? I’d say your safe holding on to them. Years? Sell.

Thanks for your answer. Why do you think it’s better selling them instead of keeping until 2020 (that’s when I expect the peak of 05’ GoldStars).

It’s all educated guesswork. I go by feel along with requests. It’s hard to sustain interest in Japanese cards as a whole.
You should try smpratte’s Patreon. He’s a lot smarter than I am (though I’m cuter;)

4 Likes

Well, it’s hard to tell of course, all educated guesses and speculations indeed. I just feel that the japanese are now more aware of the value of these cards (in the west) and they adjust the prices now. And I think, although the JP cards are easier to grade, a goldstar like this will be sought after in some years. But yeah, no one knows, just my thoughts on this.

Cuter? Can’t tell that, never seen you before and I really can’t judge a man’s appearance hehe

Cheers

I put my money where my mouth is though. I just sold my jp gold star Charizard on eBay for 1400.00 and I don’t think you’ll ever see that high of a price again.

As far as cute. You be the judge:

4 Likes

Ah yeah of course.

Haha ah I didn’t know it’s you Gary, yeah you can compete, the hat fits you :wink:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Enjoyed your interview with Scott by the way.

Take care,
Dom

Oh and if you should still read this, any idea what value a kaybee toys promo uncut fossil sheet with the 110 holos has? Really good condition, I believe I’ve seen one of those in your collection once, too.

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words:)

I do have a nice sheet collection but I’m not up on the prices like I should be cause I never sell them. That is a great sheet though.

Appreciate it, take care mate.

Also, Raquaza is a real up and comer with a lot of interest within our community so there’ll be more opinions coming that will differ from mine so let’s wait and see:)

1 Like

I’ll disagree with Gary here. English gold stars are all over the place right now pricewise, but disregard the instagram hype and realize that even with the market being flooded most gold stars have doubled in price over the last year.

Japanese traditionally lags behind English in terms of growth, but there are still many collectors out there. Despite the price rise in English, Japanese has not seen a comparable price rise. I don’t think the cards will double but in my opinion Japanese is due for a value spike.

Charizard may be a special case however, might be some artificial hype on that considering where the prices on the English one have gone. But they’re coming down to more reasonable levels now, hopefully we will see a stabilization soon and then we can look at the prices from there. $1400 will be a good price for a JP Charizard for the next year or two but even the full EX-era value spike isn’t in yet just due to demographic factors. Certainly can’t find fault with that sale price though.

I think I’m agreeing with Gary here but not sure, if you’re looking to hold it for a few months and see if you get a value spike, that’s probably not going to happen and selling now will be the same as selling in a few months. You have to be prepared to wait for years. If you’ve got that time, hold onto them as you will see an increase in value.

6 Likes

The bad news is, an emotional attachment which foreign language cards don’t offer, is normally needed for long term connection then growth.
The good news is, Pokemon has shattered so many norms that precedents may not apply;)

1 Like

:,)

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping for, the japanese was always behind the english market. And as there are many nostalgia collectors, there are also plenty of collectors who simply appreciate an artwork or just want to have a nice rare card in their collection. And that’s where the japanese cards can shine.

I won’t be selling that card in the near future, unless I get something above 2000, so I’m quite patient.

Cheers

1 Like

I think you can get $2000 eventually. I would do the same if I were you. Worst case scenario, we’re wrong and price just stays flat… Japanese set release cards are not really known for the big growth you said you were expecting.
To be honest, I think it will depend how the English version does a year or two from now. If the 9s reach $2000+, it might make sense for some collectors to get the Japanese 10 instead. The English 10s are already out of reach for like 95% of collectors.

1 Like

I am hoping pokemon collectors get rich so that we can have a price pump. Imagine 50 collectors like Gary in our hobby chasing after big cards. We will have some absurd prices. See ya later Magic. Do you think Pokémon 1st ed will surpass the MTG power 9 some day?

1 Like

I feel like the competition ends at Charizard vs Black Lotus. Charizard might have a good chance on the long run… Gary’s Pristine copies especially are something special, but they’re not for sale so I guess all we can do is speculate for the next 20-30 years only to find out they’ve been sold privately for an undisclosed amount. :grin:

Every other card doesn’t have the slighest chance. Blastoise might be 5 figures($15-20k) and for the rest of the holos it won’t even be close compared to Alpha Power 9.

Rayquaza Gold Star is an interesting one. In some regards it can be in league with Shadowless/1st Edition Charizard for value growth.

Those collectors already exist. They just aren’t buying cards with 5,000+ copies (set cards).

Why you see huge prices in high end mtg is because the alpha/beta cards are rarer.

Prices have settled on some Pokémon cards due to increase in availability. It is not for lack of activity; there is more activity today than ever. It’s simply the cards that had a handful of copies listed in 2017 now have numerous available.

5 Likes