PSA 10 1st ed Japanese gold stars good investment?

Im starting to collect PSA 10 gold stars I know the pop reports are low and gold stars have a tunn of credability especially at a 10 grade. I am choosing the jp style mainly as I just prefer them to the english.

If anyone has good info or insight to gold stars and there future growth as an investment please share your experiences.

Again I am only talking about the 10s as im not interested in collecting 9s for this set.

1 Like

As an investment that you’re going to keep for the next 5-10 years, I would say yes. Gold Stars, 1st edition Shinings, and Crystals have skyrocketed over the past couple years. For example I got a NM Gold Star Charizard for $100 just a couple years back. That same card is going on eBay for considerably more and that is within a relatively short amount of time.

Having anything PSA 10, especially the rarer stuff is a sound investment in my opinion.

1 Like

Gold stars are probably safe. Unlimited Quaza has been rising steadily lately. And i think a lot of the more basic ones have stopped dropping at least lol. I just love the JP stars and collect them purely for looks.

1 Like

Good choice! I’m also one of those people who prefer japanese stars even when english stars have bigger market overall.

If I were you I’d start from the top by adding Charizard, Rayquaza etc. really popular cards in collection and slowly fill in the rest. Sold listings may not be as high right now what they used to be but at least they are going up slowly.

1 Like

Cheers for the insights. I am in the middle of a trade for a gs charizard so it will be my 1st card towards my gs set.

Also I have heard alot about these supposed hoards of gs apparently was a video from the guy showing the hoard off. I never got to see the content I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about this who saw the content of the video? Were they English or JP gs or both? Its an unsettling thought.

@dalewilliamson

The ~5000 gold star hoard contained only english EX Unseen Forces stars, hasn’t affected market of japanese Golden Sky, Silvery Ocean variants which is good thing.

Great that’s good news for my favored Japanese variant wouldn’t want to be investing in English Ex unsen forces gs then lol. Bit of a silly move showcasing a hoard of valuable cards surely hed be effecting his own investment. He’s basically telling everyone your cards are now worth F all and by doing that has made his cards worth less by showing potential saturation within the market.

Yeah you wont see the JP versions of the Dogs nearly as often. Took me forever to finally grab all 3.

1 Like

To throw out some numbers to get you thinking I bought an unl psa 10 ray star for just over 100 GBP a year and a half ago and now they are selling for double that and a bit more on occasion, a torchic last year was listed for 110 GBP and since it got sold the price for torchic has gone up maybe 30-50%. I think these cards hold value nicely since they stopped dipping but they were incredibly hyped at one point so it wasn’t a surprise when some of them dropped in price a bit. They are wonderful cards on top of this so I think they are a solid collectible overall.

2 Likes

Has torchic gone up that much? Sick. I’ve noticed ray for sure. Finally gonna catch up with the 1st edition lmao.

But yeah, fantastic looking cards. I’ve begun preferring them to shining even. At least japanese stars.

I would buy a torchic for 110 in an instant.