Is it a good time to buy gold stars?

Hey, sometime spring of last year I started collecting gold stars, I ended up getting 5 or so and then quit shortly after because I was pretty upset at pokemon with the whole sword and shield debacle and didn’t want to support a company that rushes games so pretty much I quit all pokemon. Now I realized that even though the current games aren’t for me really I still really like the cards especially the gold stars and old ex series cards. Anyways I sold all my gold stars back in February and although I made some money it seems like all the gold stars seem to have jumped very fast in even in the past few months, like double or triple. I’m already kicking myself but now I’m wondering if its a good time to buy or is this rapid increase in value artificial and will drop as far as it increased. I feel like although it seems to be inflating too fast I’m doubtful it will go down much because of the nature of these collectibles, people have emotional attachment to them so they won’t want to let them go for lower than the current market is. Also do you think it will continue to rise because at the moment I feel if these gold stars go much higher it will be out of my price range to ever get all the cards in a decent 7 or 8.

Nobody knows

10 Likes

But seriously though… you should just collect what you like.

8 Likes

Depends which and in what grade

There has never been a worse time to buy them. Yet, there may never be a better time than now.

69 Likes

I guess your right. I guess I’m more wondering like from experience do these price hikes hold their value or do they go down. My guess is it would plateau but not go down because of the attachment people have on it not in a hurry to sell. I want to get the gold stars no matter what but I would like them to be a few months ago prices.

This is probably the best reply you’ll get about this topic… or any topic regarding time to buy/invest in certain card

15 Likes

I was just thinking today how some Japanese gold are the same price as they were a few years ago. I can remember Latioses and Latiases going for 1500. They dropped off fairly steeply, but only now are they back to that level - Charizard is a similar story. Maybe that’s an example of the effect of misplaced hype. All that said, in general prices are rising now.

English is a whole different story, but I can’t help but feel Japanese is underrated. Some cards have far fewer graded Japanese copies than English (Dragon Frontiers for example), and I always thought they looked better than the English versions, though I could overestimate how popular they are.

3 Likes

Yes

Welp Gary V just hyped the hobby up to over a million of his followers. Investment channels popping up left & right, big youtubers hyping up pokemon cards constantly & wealthy people flooding the hobby. Gold Stars are easily some of the most well recognized cards and a lot of them especially the rarer ones are drying up.

So, is it a good time to buy? That’s something for you to decide.

3 Likes

Thats depressing if its true. Not saying that the cards shouldnt increase in value but having people not even interested in the actual franchise come in sounds like a disastor for people like me who just want to have the cards they wanted as a kid again.

2 Likes

Sorry you didn’t find the hobby in February friend

1 Like

Well bad news, it’s been like that for the past months, almost since january-february. There are no signs of stop for that.
So as some people say, it might the the wosrt time to buy but in 7 months maybe it would have been the best time.

Shhhh @caughtatpoint! You’re onto something :wink: I did not know that the english version of Torchic is so ridiculously expensive! In Japanese, Torchic (or Achamo), is maybe USD 300? But it is equally as cute.

In all seriousness, if you love gold stars (like I do), @pokeforever, just buy them back slowly again? Is there a reason why you want them PSA graded, or are you okay with gold stars in generally good binder condition? I feel that PSA grading really confers a high premium onto the underlying, and that it’s much cheaper to get the actual gold star first and grade it yourself or just put it in a binder.

I suggest aiming for the harder to find things first, not the hyped up ones e.g. Charizard, Gyarados, and Rayquaza are always listed. Also, Espeon and Umbreon in both English and Japanese are not gotten through conventional packs, so you may want to skip those (or buy them first if you’re rolling in cash).

No I really dont care much about graded cards as long as the fronts look great and not too much whitening on the back. Also which ones would be harder to find gold cards? I would think they are all pretty equal in rarity. I’m really only interested in collecting the ex series of cards as those are the most nostalgic for me personally and have the best art imo.

Ain’t that the truth, so well said lol!!! Bravo:)

1 Like

It depends who has been buying them tbh as to whether there will be a drawback. You mentioned you see a levelling off but not drop as people are vested in them but there has been a lot of hype and therefore interest from people who really don’t care all that much about pokemon. If this number is significant and they don’t see returns on their “investment” then they will sell them off. No one knows the numbers though.If its been a ton of invested collectors then significant drops are unlikely.

@pokeforever , hmmm, it depends on the language. So for example, I think the equivalent for EX Power Keepers in Japanese had a really low print run, which is why Flareon, Vaporeon, and Jolteon are hard to find and are more expensive. This is also because they are play promos as well, which would ‘inflate’ the perception of value for these cards. The Jolteon play promo is particularly expensive I believe, and Espeon & Umbreon play promos are even more so.

Regarding EX series, I mostly collect Japanese and not English. However, EX Team Rocket Returns cards/boxes in english seem to be super expensive e.g. Team Rocket’s Snorlax, etc., and the gold stars from there would follow that same price trajectory. Thus, Torchic, Treecko, and Mudkip are a little harder to find. If you trawl through ebay, you’ll get what I mean.

The three legendary dogs in english, for instance, are plentiful in supply due to a theft/issue from the printing source. Hence, it’s advisable to get those last although the art is really nice.

8 Likes

It’s not as though gold stars appreciated more in price than any other comparable card during the past few months. If anything, exs rose in price more significantly (relative to what they were worth 4 months ago). If people are confident that gold star prices have been artificially inflated by “people who really don’t care all that much about Pokemon,” then I don’t see why that argument wouldn’t extend to most other cards that saw comparable price increases (i.e., pretty much everything).

Personally, I also don’t think gold stars are what non-collectors would target for ‘investment’ purposes anyway. Why would a non-collector prefer purchasing some random card from the mid-2000s over a PSA 10 1st edition WotC holo? For an outsider, the latter seems much more appealing. Now, of course, gold stars aren’t really just ‘random cards from the mid-2000s’ – as a class, with the exception of the Power Keepers ones, they are probably the rarest set cards ever released – lowest print run era, and equally low or lower pull rates than any other set card. But for non-collectors, I think they would be more inclined to purchase the most iconic and well-known cards of the hobby – namely Charizards. Gold stars are much less visible and known to people with only peripheral knowledge of the hobby.

2 Likes