gold stars

I am just wondering what people’s opinions are on gold stars as time goes on. I know there was a bubble a few years ago, but looking onward what are you expecting from them?

I’m a fan. Very cool looking cards with low pull rates that stopped being produced over a decade ago, many of which are difficult to grade and also some that were playable back in their day. I’d be happy to collect them at any price point.

10 Likes

I enjoy them. Artwork is awesome and unique. Hard to come by in amazing condition, and often feature some of the coolest pokemon. Plus there’s still potential for growth despite the past bubble.

I’ve been watching them pretty closely since I started collecting again in June, and I have noticed prices steadily increasing since then. It doesn’t seem like market availability has changed much in that time. I somewhat expect them to continue to rise as 2000’s kids begin to generate more income and gen 3 comes into it’s own a bit more.

1 Like

On a level of value, Id have to say that they most likely will see a rise in price, depending on availability of course. Theyre a very unique card aspect in general, and with that many collectors I see always chase them down being that they seem to be rarer than a lot of other set cards from back then. Id say itd be a good choice to look into if looking to buy some to sit on, especially since it seems not many tend to be circulating in the market as @mojo, was stating. Availably has been consistently low-ish, which is always something to take note of.

From my personal view of how I feel about the cards though, I just was never a fan personally of them. I wasnt collecting back during that era (I first gave up when the e series came out and restarted last September) but looking at them now, I really only enjoy the Rayquaza card and the others to me just dont appeal to me as much on a collectors level. Like, the Charizard to me seems a bit bland, plus i really didnt like the whole different typing thing which some gold stars have, so I tend to just watch them just for price info. But again, to each their own as this is just preference :blush:

1 Like

I really enjoy gold stars, I like them much better than any other shiny cards that were released, I like their understated nature but they still had unique features (like the holo throughout the lines of the card). I like the Japanese versions more, but some look great in English like Charizard and Gyarados.

I have some really fond memories of them back from when I was collecting as a kid, they were so rare they were basically myths. I managed to trade for one, a very played condition gold star Latias, on the school bus once (both of us had no idea what it was). I eventually traded it to one of my close friends who did know what it was for several ex cards which were what I truly enjoyed back then and to this day. When I got back into collecting, one of my first purchases was a Japanese gold star Latias. I still don’t have an English copy, but maybe one day I’ll pick one up.

I’m expecting that a lot of people will have the same memories that I do. Gold stars are fairly speculative and have seen some quite significant rises and falls in terms of price, but they have been rising over time even with the large ups and downs. I wouldn’t try to “invest” in gold stars, but let’s just say I wish I could go back to 2014 when I was buying mint English gold stars for $35-40.

3 Likes

I typically don’t buy cards expecting anything from them

8 Likes

I can’t get enough of them. I consider myself a very strong “WOTC Only Poster Boy” with exception to some japanese promos. When getting back into the hobby around 2008, Gold Stars were the thing. When getting serious about collecting in 2012 that was the first think I went for!

I know many people get discouraged when they realize there are 27 of them. All of which come at a considerable price for most. That could be what factors in the uncertainty, but when we look at it from a collecting standpoint it fires on ALL levels…

1. They are older cards
  2. EX era cards where not many people collected or played
  3. Those who did play played them, because they were actually playable cards in some cases
  4. Fantastic signature artwork unique to the Gold Stars

Overall, this has made them some of the best IMO. If you look at the raw market these are some of the most damaged cards out there. People back then didn’t really care much on condition. Or just tossed them aside. They weren’t as “flashy” as some ultra or secret rares either, so some people could’ve overlooked them all together.

2 Likes

@dizzle24, I wasn’t suggesting that they are extremely available, just that availability hasn’t gone down or up in the past 6 months, in my experience. A reasonably prices PSA 9 copy of each pops up at least every month or so, 10’s are different. Some 10’s I have not seen for sale at all, but I don’t think it’s insanely challenging to find them at the moment if you were in the market.

1 Like

That essentially was the point I was also trying to convey there with my answer, just better wording haha. But yes, I agree that with that availability and steady increases in price it makes for a good section of cards to collect which could see growth with great stability over time due to the already seen natures of the gold star cards.

1 Like

I like them, but over time the Namesake set of cards have been growing on me more. Hell, just look at this Kabutops:

4 Likes

I have always thought the Gold Stars were incredibly special. The body parts that pop out of the picture box was first introduced here and was specifically demanded by Pokemon. Also, it being the shiny form of the pokemon makes it even more appealing and unique. I don’t play the games but from what I understand people spend hours upon hours trying to catch the Shiny variant in Pokemon go and the Nintendo switch games.

After meeting Fukudo in Dallas and sitting through two private panel discussion with him makes me like Gold stars even more. He was the only artist to be assigned to them and he didn’t know that at the time and he was unaware that these were going to be the rarest cards in the set. Guy was humble, polite and amazingly talented as we got to watch him sketch live a shiny Charizard and a shiny Rayquaza. I was happy to learn more about him and his work with Pokemon.

3 Likes

After starting to collect the past couple years I recently started to slowly acquire a PSA 9 set and it does appear that the cards are readily available. I just wait until I get each at a reasonable price to me, don’t see them going up in price anytime soon. The artworks are some of my favorites.

I prefer Shinings honestly

1 Like

I prefer Shining Tyranitar

Are there any articles on Gold Star cards? :3

You and 65% of this forum users

Having only seen them go up (the majority at least) over time, and do not expect them to stop doing that. The crazy price spikes we’ve seen I think like @fourthstartcg said stems from them being rather speculative cards. Long run they will have ups and down, but will continue increasing in value.

I agree gold stars will grow but are very easily affected by social media trends leading to boom and bust cycles. For me personally I only own one gold star because I personally like that card, not because of its potential growth.

Yup everyone already hit all the major points. As a series collector I’m going to get all the Gold Stars for sure once I finish 1st edition Shinings and Crystal Cards from Aquapolis and Skyridge. I generally go for the rarest set cards possible which the rarity alone will make for great value down the line. But I feel like I’ll never sell my collection no matter the price haha unless the price was so good I could easily replace every card which some cards I picked up I can’t seem to find online anywhere anymore or very rare so I’m glad I started the route I did :slight_smile:

1 Like