Price check PSA 9 gold star Rayquaza

If people are paying attention to the auction, auctions can draw higher prices than “one-off” negotiations, which is effectively what a BIN is. Right now with the amount of collectors that are actively engaged in the hobby, auctions may be the best way to go for in demand items. Especially in a time of rising prices. In the early days of ebay, it was pretty much all auctions except for niche items.

I recognize this is contrary to the current thinking of “list high, wait for offers” which relies on the psychology of false anchoring to make people feel like they are getting a deal

8 Likes

Sorry buddy,
But thanks :heart:

1 Like

cool view point!

1 Like

I said this a couple of weeks ago as well. If you want to sell one of the highly sought-after items in this hobby right now I don’t understand why you would list the item as a buy it now rather then just put it up for auction. Auctions are outperforming BINs right now. It’s not even close really. Get out of the mindset you’re used to and look at the data we have from the last few months.

1 Like

It makes sense nobody wanted to pay 7k before that auction, since none had previously sold that high. Nobody wants to pay more than market value for a card. Now that one has sold for that much, people will likely be much more inclined to pay that price since the higher value is sort of “validated”.

Regardless, it’s a great card, and it’s crazy how many times it’s price has doubled in the past few weeks lol

3 Likes

lol, yeah. It’s my old POGO handle. Had trouble coming up with a better on at the time.

Thank you for the congratulations, however.

1 Like

This is precisely why auctions crush buy it now in a true bull market for the hobby like we have right now. Even in this market, if an item it listed as a buy it now buyers will try to pay either what the last one sold for or slightly more than it. But in an auction people feel more comfortable bidding higher because they figure if they’re forced to pay more it means other people wanted the item that much too.

2 Likes

I agree. I didn’t want to pay that much, but I was willing due to the fact that a lot of higher end cards with 9/10 grades are becoming almost scare it seems. eBay feels dryer than it has in the past, most likely due to all the active collectors and flippers, and with a PSA 10 selling for over 19k it felt as if I was going to have to pay a premium at some point, so I figured better 7k now than 10k plus later. It’s madness lol. Prices are just wild right now.

I just dont understand this. Where were you last week when they were $3500?

1 Like

Might as well just start listing any Pokemon card at 5k plus now cause apparently there is no limit to these prices anymore and people are just being incredibly speculative right now which blows my mind. card goes from $3500-7500 in a week lol OK

3 Likes

There were none available that I could find. I looked. I have a buy thread on here where I posted a price point of $3500+ And got no response with 60 plus views on it. This was the first one that popped up and the auction started at 3k and I was the very first bid. Had I not bid at what I did, I would have lost the auction.

I would like to say congratulations on getting the card man! Fulfilling a key collection goal like this is a great feeling. And winning it in an auction can even amplify that sense of victory. Let’s not let grumpiness over prices spoil the moment.

4 Likes

I guess the question to ask is whether this card is a new goal or not for clubber. This card was available easily for $1000-$1200 at the end of 2019 (not that long ago lol)

1 Like

i sold both of my 9s last year for 1200-1500ea…i got you man.

1 Like

don’t make me go down this rabbit hole of looking at prices you sold your cards for.
I’m going to cry haha :sob:

1 Like

at 7k, this card is underpriced. you guys bought it at a good price.

There are only 144 PSA 9s. That’s not a lot of pop for a popular card like this. and these boxes are next to impossible to find. pull rate at 1 per 3 boxes. this is sure winner.

another rayquaza just posted. 7.5k with BEST OFFER.

www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-9-Rayquaza-Gold-Star-Shining-Ultra-Rare-107-107-EX-Deoxys-MINT-Pokemon-Card/283896907303?hash=item4219930627:g:xiEAAOSw40Ve0nKu

1 Like

that was the going price for the card then. no regrets. otherwise, you’d never sell anything. lol.

3 Likes

Just because one sold for $7k+ doesn’t mean the next one will. It is one data point. They could be $25k a year from now and they could be $2.5k a year from now.

6 Likes

Amen! The huge influx of new collectors might have a hard time understanding this tho.

1 Like