psa9 rayquaza goldstar $3935

good price or nothing special?

That price is far below recent sales. Given it was an auction was there something about the condition of the card that was unique or atypical for the grade?

www.elitefourum.com/t/price-check-psa-9-gold-star-rayquaza/27685/1

Check this thread out, especially the post about the Michael Jordan rookie :wink:.

But yeah, 42% cheaper than the last sale its a good price.

Edit: this is the problem with shill bidding even if a legit person wins. The higher the prices; the thinner market is and sometimes there’s only one person at the top. So large gaps inbetween real buyers can cause prices to drop significantly.

3 Likes

the auction was quite under the radar i think, it was in germany. didn’t see anything that was different from other 9’s.well a card sold for around $2000 2 months ago, before the hype, so i don’t really know how to feel about this right now.

Anyone notice that the listing is for a “Goldstar” as opposed to a “Gold Star”?

That’s the type of listing error that can make a biiiiiiig difference.

1 Like

does it make a difference? i thought it didn’t. i always write both in my auctions though, one in the title, one in the subtitle.

Ahh, just checked it and it appears you’re correct in this case. I don’t think it makes a difference. Typos can definitely lead to listings going for less but it appears that eBay automatically corrects adjusts for a space between letters.

In that case, if this listing sold for less I can only assume that it’s a result of either demand hitting an inflection point for this particular card (although that wouldn’t be mirroring with what is happening with the market in general) or it was just an auction that attracted less notice for whatever reason. Either way, it’s just 1 data point.

1 Like

I’d say this is WAY more in line with the prices we were seeing before the $7000 outlier.

5 Likes

i think it didn’t get that much attention, was around 30 watchers i guess. i was just asking if it’s considered to be a good price or not in normal times :blush:

I can’t find this auction on ebay sold listings and didn’t see it when it was live. You said it was just in Germany so it was a limited geography listing? I would love to learn more about this.

As far as I can tell it was only listed in Germany and the seller only accepted wire transfer and local pickup.

@jonandek

Well, IMO that’s not how you sell something if you want to maximize the value in a global marketplace. Limited geography, limited payment method, limited way to actually obtain the card even if you win the auction. I don’t consider this to be an apples-to-apples price point from which to draw any conclusions. And at the present time I would consider it a good price point for whoever purchased the card considering they could immediately re-list the card to potentially make several thousand dollars in price arbitrage.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I had a rocket’s snorlax listed for half a year Germany only and it didn’t sell. Changed it to Europe and it sold within a couple of days. Even Germans are hesitatent to pay via wire transfer since you’re less protected than with PayPal.

I don’t think that $7k auction was legitimate. Does anyone know if it was actually paid for? $7k for a PSA 9 ray is absurd when the 10 is 20k.

@randox, the buyer is a member here. @clubberlangx420x

www.elitefourum.com/t/price-check-psa-9-gold-star-rayquaza/27685/13

1 Like

Thanks for that - wasn’t aware sorry.

It was real but even buyer admitted the auction was shilled and he still bought it for higher lol

Here
I think ebay first lists offers from your country, after that some irrelevant offers from your country and only then other search relevant offers from international countries. I have the feeling that I don’t reach out to many international people outside of europe even with a great description.

The card would’ve sold for even less, I was the 2nd highest bidder in that auction by far. But the description and he not replying to my question if there is any damage on the case made me not go any higher.

The description said he sends it DHL, it was very strange though, seemed he didn’t care about selling the card at all, uncaring description and bad pictures. I don’t understand how people don’t realize to this day that a good description and good photos are everything in an auction, especially for valuable stuff…

Hey Randox. The auction was indeed legitimate, I paid for the card and the buyer has since shipped it to me and now sits among the others in my collection.

I was the initial bid of $3000 and I was the winning bid of $7200.
As mentioned, there were, what appeared to be 2 separate shill bids made, the last one being at $6600. However, that being said, the second to last bid was in the amount of $7100 and seems to be legitimate. In essence, I was not the only one willing to jump for this particular card. I have a picture showing the second to last bid, along with their feedback of 204. Had I not bid as high as I did, I would still be in the hunt for one and would be paying more as the only three that I can see available are all in the $7500-10k range.

I should also not that before the auction ended, I made an offer of $6000 for another one and my offer was declined. I also offered some one on eBay $1000 for their GS Groudon and was countered at $1300. So it would seem that these prices are going to remain high for some time.

1 Like

Thanks for the info :blush: Great purchase! Enjoy the beauty.