Master List of the Rarest Pokémon Cards

Thank you!

@thymeee No, unfortunately I don’t know the amount of decks made for the World Championship, nor the languages. I only know at least one Italian deck was printed for the World Championship, since none were made for the Tropical Mega Battle. I’ve also heard some rumors that most of the English VS cards had around 40 copies, of which 9 were from the Tropical Mega Battle. But no idea if these rumors are correct, or simply nothing more than that: rumors. I’ve only heard those rumors recently when someone mentioned that 10 English Mantine from the deck has a Psychic resistance in the Tropical Mega Battle release, which was fixed to Fighting resistance in the English World Championship 2002 release.

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

No idea if we also want to make a dedicated image share to host the highest quality images available of these rarest cards?
Because some of these are so rare that even finding a decent quality image of them is quite the task in itself.

I’ve found the German cards of the Tropical Mega Battle Tyranitar Half Deck courtesy of @andremon

1 Janine’s Beedrill 2 Bugsy’s Yanma 3 Karen’s Rapidash
4 Pryce’s Cloyster 5 Clair’s Mantine 6 Jasmine’s Raichu
7 Morty’s Hypno 8 Will’s Girafarig 9 Bruno’s Hitmonchan
10 Chuck’s Donphan 11 Falkner’s Fearow 12 Whitney’s Furret
13 Tropical Breeze 14 Energy Ark 15 Super Scoop Up
16 Switch 17 Potion

And also the English set of these cards courtesy of @hapycakeoven

First print English TMB

It’s also worth nothing that the German cards shown here are 2nd print copies, whereas the English set are 1st print copies. This can be determined by the resistance on Clair’s Mantine which was misprinted as Psychic for the 1st print and corrected to Fighting for the 2nd print. This misprint only affected the non-Japanese releases. Special thanks to DJGigabyte for providing info on this obscure misprint!

7 Likes

@melchior , if the german cards are from the second print run, this would mean that the german cards are from the world champs and this would mean that the world champ deck where not only japanese and this would mean that the total distribution on the other languages of the vs cards is not yet known and only the bare minimum of 9 for english and 1 for the other languages (but this was also disputed in another thread) is for sure, but the decks awarded at the world champs should be added to this amount.

But as we dont know this amount (yet) we dont know the exact number of these cards distributed

1 Like

My #1 priority would “just” be how many different variants were printed, corrected and error and in which language. These are so heckin rare that exact numbers don’t really matter anyway. Man it would just really help having a list of participants, all you can find are names of some individual players.

1 Like

English VS- Pokémon TCG - YouTube Here’s DJGigabyte’s great video on the VS set btw, especially regarding the resistance error.

2 Likes

It’s a bit more nuanced than that. Here’s what the owner had to say about his acquisition:

But what we can definitely assume is for the total number to be well below 1000. Which is the treshold set forth for this compilation of rarest cards in the hobby.

1 Like

Yes, it should be for some reason I had it in my head that it was Raichu instead of Pikachu.

Awesome to see these cards and great points.

I’ll make a dedicated Imgur album to host the most precious images.

1 Like

This is amazing, thanks for putting together this great resource!!

A lot of updates and improvement have been made to the list.

Unofficial releases, such as Sample Set cards and For Position Only cards have been added to the list.

@quuador made a big effort getting these cards on the list.

Additionally, you can now use tabs to browse by category.

2 Likes

Also just wanted to say that I really appreciate everyone showing their appreciation! :grin:

4 Likes

A suggestion for the Unofficial Released Cards section are the English cosmos holofoil fossil unlimited cards.

Here is a budget guide if you are unfamiliar @hyruleguardian,

www.elitefourum.com/t/rare-english-cosmos-fossil-holofoil-error-test-run-misprint/22232/1

My personal belief till this day, is that its some sort of test print WOTC did for the new change in holofoil pattern of fossil->base 2. No hard numbers, but quantity in my opinion from market availability is that it would be similar to that of the expedition FPOs quantities.

2 Likes

Thank you to everybody who was involved in creating this list - what an excellent resource. It must have taken a lot of time and effort to compile. I’ve bookmarked it and look forward to referring to it from now on!

:grin:

Great job, Thank you!

You can add the first Illustration Contest (1997):

• Poliwrath
  • Snorlax
  • Mr. Mime

Bulbapedia: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Illustration_contests
PSA: www.psacard.com/pop/tcg-cards/1997/pokemon-japanese-promo/78769

PSA will not grade them anymore as Trophy card because now it’s quite impossible to verify the origin.
The ones in circulation ungraded will be labeled as Quick starter gift Set, so the PSA Population of those Trophy cards can’t increase anymore.

I like the mystery behind it :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider adding these cards. Unfortunately, since the copies that were awarded to the winners are utterly indistinguishable from the Red/Green Quick Starter cards, I don’t think it makes sense to include the cards in the list.

3 Likes

Ah ok, maybe you can add your reply or something in the excel sheet. I mean, those cards exist, they have been graded and labeled by PSA. Just to clear it out (in an objective way, write down the information we know).Even the WHF special sheet 00 (pikachu, mew and mewtwo) are interesting, the problem is that only pikachu is distinguishable.It would be helpful to write these details, I think it would be worse not to mention those cards.Maybe add a “*” saying: reprinted later.You have done a great job and I dont want that my 2 cents seem a complaint :stuck_out_tongue:

This is one of those times you don’t use psa as a source. Psa has never graded one of these. Psa has graded the red/green version and put a different label on them, but they have not graded a card from one of the original owners.

I’d also argue if the card is exactly the same it isn’t a reprint, it’s just a release of the card.

4 Likes

You are not objective, you can’t be sure that all of those 20 rewarded cards (20 each: poliwrath, snorlax and mr mime) have been lost forever. We know that those have been given to the winners of the first corocoro illustration contest but now we can’t distinguish them. But it’s a mistery, we are not sure in a way but we are not sure even in the other way. We must be objective… and I hope that this excel sheet will try to be :stuck_out_tongue:

I know the Mr. mime owner has theirs. I also know all the ones submitted to psa are not the winners cards. Go talk to the people who were selling them and ask them how they got them and they have no connection to the winners when you backtrack their stories.

1 Like