Pokemon Trophy and Prize Cards Guide

Hi all, @minorkey and I have come up with a rough guide that shows the total number of copies of a certain Pokemon Trophy or Prize card in existence. This is just a rough guide and there may be some numbers which are off which we welcome anyone who has a different number in mind to come forth and share that number. Some are not trophies or prizes but they are rare and exclusive enough that we think should be on the list.

The main source we had used is Bulbapedia (best source we have today). For Trophy cards, it is based on the number of events held if anyone would like to cross-check.

For now, please enjoy. Thank you.

*New info on Victory Cups is on page 2!

68 Likes

Thanks for putting this together. This is a spectacular resource!

I wish there was a way to pin down how many of some of these cards, such as Unikarp, made it into circulation.

3 Likes

Great resource!

The unikarp is always difficult as the 1,000 was intended distribution, but the pop report clearly shows how that number is significantly less. We will probably be left with an educated guess on the total amount released/in circulation.

3 Likes

Good job. Been looking for this resource.

1 Like

Awesome list! It is very tough to get info about some of these.

With the TMB birds I seem to recall that there were 150 copies given out. Each person receiving all 3. There’s also the Lottery Articuno

2 Likes

Great job guy, hopefully we try and keep this updated as time goes by and new info comes to light.
Tag this as a guide if possible :blush:

1 Like

Just thinking here did you leave Play promo Espeon gold star out of the list on purpose? Excellent addition to new back prize cards. :blush:

Nice very usefull

Awesome guide! Made me realise I still have a lot to learn about trophy cards!

Check this out @chavycat
Excellent list!

1 Like

Trophy kangaskhan has 40 in pop report. 3 of them don’t have grades and are just labeled “authentic” though. I might send mine back to get rid of the grade and have it say that as well

The 1997 No.3 Trainer Pop is off in regards to either distribution or PSA population. For one, PSA messed up and graded a 2nd tournament one as a first tournament one.

Source: https://instagram.com/p/BDWkTiPodZU

www.psacard.com/cert/25087291/

2 Likes

@chok , Well done on creating this, very informative to have it all in one place.

I did notice that the Miracle Diamond currently on the list is at total PSA population 6. It used to be 4x Grade 10’s and 2x Grade 9’s. There is an additional PSA 5 graded now totalling 7 cards in the PSA pop report. However, I know that a collector cracked their PSA 9 case and graded with BGS instead.

So the true current number is 6, like you already have. 4x Grade 10’s, 1x Grade 9 and 1x Grade 5. I wasn’t sure if you had already accounted for that in your list or not, just thought I’d post this information so it’s public anyway.

Also, they had a PSA 10 Mysterious Pearl that they also cracked and graded with BGS too, so the true number is 1 down. I’m sure you know who I’m talking about anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

*addition for the future, you could add a BGS column to the pop report as a lot of collectors are grading with them now. Great work so far though!

3 Likes

I figured once this list was made, the estimates about release numbers and pop report figures would follow. In short, don’t marry yourself to numbers, especially the pop report. For example, the University Magikarp has around 10 re-grades. I’m sure that is true for multiple prize cards. Hell even the rarest/first trophies (1997 Pikas) have incorrect entries.

Treat this for what it is, a resource. We will never know 100% how accurate the pop report is, and thats ok!

10 Likes

Very true, best not to get hung-up on something we’ll never know for certain. I must admit it’s very easy to get side tracked with. Just got to roll with it and not think to much about it.

For sure! I didn’t mean it as a criticism for anyone. Its simply impossible to keep track of every single re-grade and don’t want that to detract from this guide!

4 Likes

Regarding :

2000 Tropical Mega Battle (Hawaii) 9th Lucky Stadium: 42 copies confirmed

A Japanese Trainer Mag article states 42 entrants were enrolled in the tournament, and it also shows from which countries all the 42 entrants came.

Comment:

I spoke face to face to the owner of this card and TMB book who attended the 2000 Tropical Mega Battle Tournament in Hawaii ( which he sold to me)

By playing against an WOTC member and winning a Pokemon game against him, he was rewarded by selecting/choosing a special card(s) given at that time.

He was advised to choose this card. So only attendees who won against the WOTC member could get a special card.

This is an other story as that this card was given to all attendees. :ninja:

5 Likes

This is awesome, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

That’s cool! I was actually attempting to put a list like this together but it was very difficult. Good work!

This is a great resource. Good job putting this together!

The only comment I have is about the 2005-2008 Battle Road cards. I made this post (and the post below it) a while back where I believe some of the tournaments had prize cards given to the top 4 instead of the top 3:

• Victory Orb (Mew) 162 → 216
  • Miracle Diamond 90 → 120

To explain, I believe that the Summer Battle Road tournaments awarded the top 4 but the Spring tournaments only awarded the top 3. The only exception to this is the Spring 2008 tournament which I believe also awarded the top 4.