Can someone summarize these for me?

@smpratte did a good job summarizing the first on in his description…

"You are bidding on a complete 2010 Pikachu Victory Medal Promo Card Set PSA 10 Gem Mint

These cards were only awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of the 2010 Gym Challenge Tournaments in Japan. This was the only way to obtain these cards. The cards received the highest possible grade, PSA 10 Gem Mint.

The pictures are of the actual card you will receive. If you have any questions please ask and I will get back to you immediately. I combine shipping on all orders. Thank you and Good Luck!"

1 Like

@gottaketchumall What are you doing reading item descriptions, this isn’t 2012. :wink:

5 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

To better explain, these are prize cards. The term “trophy” is typically used as an umbrella term for most anything released at a tournament to a winner. In the most literal sense, the term “trophy” card is a slang derivative from receiving a card for winning a tournament. These victory medals are the same, but their quantity is greater than say a full art pikachu from the world championships.

1 Like

Interesting, Thank you for elaborating.

I can see the pops for psa on those 2009’s are a little higher, 67 for 3rd place, 53, for 2nd place, and 56 for 1st place.
IMO still $250 for something that limited is SO low especially because the artwork is badass.

One dosent have a stamp and had a pop report on psa of 35, and the other, stamped, has a pop report of 9

What does the stamp signify? Sorry for all the questions, trophy cards are very new to me.

I remember when @funmonkey54 stopped by and saw the 2010 victory medals, and was like, “this is a nice card”. The cards are nice artwork, nice release, and overall solid bang for your buck. That official gold writing on the bottom is a bonus.

In relation to the other releases, very similar in their release numbers, but subtle differences in the card layout. IMO these victory medals have similar, sometimes identical art, naturally they are blend together. I think this is why the 2010’s sell better because they were only awarded that one year, have unique art & layout, and also have the full gold silver and bronze medals.

Yes! I love the English Victory Cups in particular. In general, people throw the term “trophy” around way too much regarding Japanese cards. We could probably all stand to be a little more diligent with careful language on that front. But these would definitely be true trophies. They’re just not as limited as some of our favorites. They’re probably not as common as a lot of lottery cards that we consider limited, though.

I think these cards have a lot of potential to catch the interest of collectors in the future. Finding them mint sucks, especially for English. The artwork is charming and to the point. People also tend to overlook that these come from a major dip in popularity for the competitive circuit and retention in the game was low. A lot of people that won these are not in the game anymore.

I sold a complete set of English Victory Cups and it took me two years to put together another NM set. If you like them, now is the time to be grabbing. I can’t speak highly enough of these in particular.

1 Like

@funmonkey54 I agree. “Trophy” used to be very specific to only the top tier cards. Funny story, I remember in 2008ish being told that my trophy kangaskhan is not a “trophy” by a collector at the time who had the highest end trophy cards. They said that only something with a No. 1,2,3 trainer in the title is a trophy.

Fast forward to today, and the kangaskhan card is known as “trophy khan” and the psa label is “family event trophy card”. Funny how language, usage and meaning changes over time.

2 Likes