Pokemon Trophy and Prize Cards Guide

New info on the released numbers of the Japanese BW Victory Cups and 2013 Battle Carnival Mewtwo ex.

Bulbapedia is missing the event locations of the BW Battle Carnival so there is no way of figuring out the total number released for the Trophy Cards given out in those events, which was the BW Victory Cups.

I was searching on Bulbapedia for the recently discovered 2011 WCQ card and stumbled upon the participation prize card for the 2011 Battle Carnival which was the Krokorok and on its Bulbapedia page was the event locations for the 2011 Battle Carnival!

I was really excited and proceeded to look for the 2012 Battle Carnival Spring and Autumn participation prize card and also the 2013 Battle Carnival participation prize and they all have the event locations!

I put all the locations together and can conclude the number of copies for the BW Victory cups released.

2011 Battle Carnival : 6 copies each 1st/2nd/3rd
2012 Battle Carnival Spring : 12 copies each 1st/2nd/3rd
2012 Battle Carnival Autumn : 6 copies each 1st/2nd/3rd (I personally believe there were three TCG categories instead of two making the number of copies 9 instead of 6 but the info on Bulbapedia states two TCG categories and I donā€™t have evidence of three TCG categories at this time)
2013 Battle Carnival Spring : 16 copies each 1st/2nd/3rd
Total number of BW Victory Cups : 40 copies each 1st/2nd/3rd

I have crossed check to make sure each stamp from every event (2011, 2012 S/A and 2013 S) exists so to make sure each event awarded those cards and not just a folder of signed cards like the 2013 event.

Using the event locations, I was also able to determine the total number awarded for the 2013 Battle Carnival Mewtwo ex.
These were awarded to the top three for all the events during the 2013 Battle Carnival making it a total of 48 copies ever released, making it the rarest Mewtwo card ever released.

8 Likes

Great topic!

Maybe one day you could add the non-glossy Imakuni? card to the ā€œold back promosā€ card list.
Kei made a usefull topic about this card: www.elitefourum.com/t/imakuni-non-glossy-tmb-promo-update-8-5-2018/21168/1

Maybe you could also add the Articuno phone card lottery prize too.

2 Likes

Definitely no more than 4 1997 no2 Pikachu?
Iā€™ve seen (like most people) a recent one still in its original case, but the Pop report is already 4.

Probably biased by regrades I assumed?

Some of the 1998 Pika trophies have been incorrectly graded as 1997 Pika trophies by PSA.

Only 4 copies of each 1997 Pika were awarded. But we have seen at least 5 of the 1997 Pika No. 2s, implying that at least one extra/file copy has emerged.

There were a total of 28 copies of each of the ā€œ1998ā€ Pikas that were awarded but those can actually be broken down into 2 separate events. The first was Lizardon Mega Battle (which took place in late 1997 despite being referred to as a ā€œ1998ā€ Pika) and the second was Kamex Mega Battle which actually took place in 1998.

So the numbers are:

* 1997 variation - 4 of each No. 1/2/3 trainer
* first 1998 variation (actually late 1997) - 14 of each No. 1/2/3 trainer
* second 1998 variation - 14 of each No. 1/2/3 trainer

If you combine them, a total of 32 of each No.1/2/3 Pika trainer were awarded.

6 Likes

This thread is great :+1: amazing work!

1 Like

Where is grand party on that list? :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer, I appreciate!

Interesting that a 5th copy emerged for the 1997 no2 then. I hope that means weā€™ll see a couple more copies, 4 is such an incredibly low amountā€¦!
At least if youā€™re just fond of the artwork (how could you not) the year is purely decorative, and you can go for a 1998 copy.

If youā€™re interested in the Historical value hold by such a card (again difficult not to consider that when youā€™re buying such an item), youā€™ll have to be patient and wait for one of the 5 owner to let go of the card, which might simply not happenā€¦

Donā€™t take this the wrong way. The Grand Party is an *awesome* card but it does not have the level of rarity to merit a place on a list like this.

Itā€™s okay. 1st edition Base Set Charizard isnā€™t the rarest of cards in the world either and itā€™s doing just fine for itself.

Iā€™m working on a more comprehensive version of the list that chok and minorkey originally made in the OP, along with those two and a few others.

Itā€™s not complete yet but if anyoneā€™s curious at getting a sneak peak, here you go:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/109HFCo4qNyd1jI0zxGOqidqsgQ1rcNPvXeythmKCL4Y/edit#gid=0

4 Likes

Great resource, but thereā€™s no way thereā€™s 18 illustrators gradedā€¦right? Where was I?!

Itā€™s 19 now. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Great resource!

2 Likes

One of my favorite threads ever

Same!

Weā€™re going to continue adding to the Rarest Card List over time. Iā€™ll be sure to bump the thread the next time thereā€™s a big update.

Recently @pichufan has been adding cards with a distribution of over 1,000 in a separate tab.

Still a lot of work to do though.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/109HFCo4qNyd1jI0zxGOqidqsgQ1rcNPvXeythmKCL4Y/

4 Likes

Keen as my bro!

Thanks guys @hyruleguardian , @pichufan ! Really appreciated

19 PSA, 1 BGS, CTA. Though have to check if one Authentic grade is listed twice.

3 Likes

Wow, what an amazing resource!

One update: the 2003 Victory Orb is now up to pop 12 totalā€¦I graded mine back in May, so the pop for PSA 10 is now 10.

2 Likes

Is there an editable version of this that I can keep for my own reference?

You can click into the ā€œFileā€ menu at the top then click ā€œMake a copyā€.