JoshsOddCollection's Graded Card Collection

Hello everyone,

I figured I would share my graded card collection as it currently stands :slight_smile: When it comes to collecting normal cards, I strictly collect CGC 9s with subgrades. I am more relaxed when it comes to error cards and childhood cards, but it’s a bonus when I get a 9 on those! Hopefully you guys enjoy my graded collection. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

Happy collecting :blush:

Oddish

As most of you may know, my favorite Pokemon is Oddish. My goal is to collect every single card that contains Oddish, including cameos. None of the Oddish cards you see below were graded by me, and instead were purchased on ebay. I’m pretty strict with what graded cards I buy so most if not all of these cards were purchased for cheaper than it would cost to grade them myself. I have a huge backlog of cards to send in to CGC, but I’m not sure when I’ll be submitting them. I’ll update the post accordingly as submissions are sent in :innocent:

Expand for pictures

Jungle - 1st Edition - 58/64
Cert: 3791988334
Purchase Date: April 2022

Team Rocket - 1st Edition - 63/82
Cert: 3792006083
Purchase Date: February 2022

Team Rocket - 1st Edition - 63/82
Cert: 3863168065
Purchase Date: August 2022
Note: This is my favorite Oddish card and I saw it for a great discounted price so I decided to add a second one to my collection.

Gym Heroes - Unlimited - 47/132
Cert: 4037532010

Gym Challenge - 1st Edition - 126/132
Cert: 3821256315

Neo Genesis - 1st Edition - 68/111
Cert: 3694505166
Purchase Date: January 2023

Neo Genesis - 1st Edition - 92/111
Cert: 3821256224
Purchase Date: May 2022
Note: Oddish is at the top right of the slot machine :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

Expedition - 122/165
Cert: 3920129076
Note: I will be resubmitting this card to add subgrades, and I’m thinking about cracking it entirely. Either it ends up with a 9 which will fit in my collection, it will get a 9.5 and make no difference but will have subgrades, or it will get a 10.

Cleffa - Tag Team GX:Tag All Stars (Japanese) - Reverse Holo - 096/173
Cert: 3850270061
Purchase Date: November 2022

Pikachu - Celebrations - Full Art Holo - 005/025
Cert: 3997104033
Purchase Date: December 2022

Error Cards

On top of being an Oddish collector, I am also an error collector. The majority of my errors remain ungraded at this time, but I plan on grading them in the future. Many of them are incredibly rare and I am pretty secretive about them, but at some point I will probably share them with the public.

Expand for pictures

Wartortle Evolution Box Error - Base Set - Unlimited - 42/102
Cert: 3809075001
Purchase Date: November 2020
Note: I graded this card myself after purchasing it raw off of ebay

Haunter Holo Stain Error - Fossil - Unlimited - 6/62
Cert: 3809075011
Purchase Date: December 2020
Note: I graded this card myself after purchasing it raw off of ebay for like $20. It was an incredible find and has one of the most intense holo stains I’ve ever seen for these haunters, unfortunately the scan doesn’t do it justice. I’ll have to remember to upload an image with a better angle. To this day this is still one of the best purchases I have made in terms of value.

Zygarde GX - Hidden Fates - SV65/SV94
Cert: 3732334001
Purchase Date: May 2022

Flying Pikachu V - Celebrations - 006/025
Cert: 4012666013
Note: This card has an additional ink error behind the text on the ‘Fly’ attack.

Childhood Cards

These cards are from my childhood and I have decided to hold onto them for sentimental value.

Expand for pictures

Charizard - Base Set - Unlimited - 4/102
Cert: 3809075009
Note: I have no idea where I got this card as a child, I was too young when this card was released so I either traded for it or received it from a friend. It has a giant crease down the back of it, but looks great from the front.

Rocket’s Snorlax ex - EX Team Rocket Returns - 104/109
Cert: 3809075010
Note: I got this card out of a lot that I bought as a child and I love the artwork. It’s also very expensive, so I don’t think I’ll be getting a 9 any time soon.

Gold Star Charizard - EX Dragon Frontiers - 100/101
Cert: 4130257001
Price: ~$4.99
Note: Believe it or not, I pulled this card out of a pack as a kid. I was in a Pokemon camp at the YMCA and the entire camp crowded around me to see how epic the card was. One of the employees at the Game Empire that we were at when I pulled it tried to trade me for it, but I declined. I kept it locked away and safe all these years, and it’s currently the most expensive card in my collection.

Other Cute Cards

This is a random assortment of cute cards that I bought just because I enjoyed them. They don’t fit into any other category, other than being cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Expand for pictures

Rattata - Vending Series 1 (Japanese) - 019
Cert: 3889987097

Jigglypuff - Southern Islands (Japanese) - 039
Cert: 3787040084

Squirtle - Team Rocket - 1st Edition - 68/82
Cert: 3760426006
Purchase Date: September 2022

Eevee - Black Star Promos - SM184
Cert: 3874768147

Eevee - Black Star Promos - SWSH095
Cert: 3825161095
Purchase Date: September 2022

Flareon - Vivid Voltage - Reverse Holo - 026/185
Cert: 3753837239

Raichu - Expedition - Reverse Holo - 61/165
Cert: 3730009011
Purchase Date: January 2023

Eevee - Hidden Fates - Holo - 48/68
Cert: 3768832031

Jirachi - Vivid Voltage - Amazing Rare - 119/185
Cert: 3753828144

Jirachi - Tag Team GX:Tag All Stars (Japanese) - Holo - 090/173
Cert: 3850270050

15 Likes

That Wartortle is one of my favorite errors just because of how silly it is. Beautiful collection!

1 Like

Awesome collection, @JoshsOddCollection! :partying_face:

You should add some pictures of your Oddish backlog for CGC. :eyes:

2 Likes

Oh goodness that’s a lot of effort to fish out all of the cards that I have tucked away and then take pictures of them LOL. I have a lot of Oddish cards but the only ones that I currently have in my to-grade box are as follows:

• Oddish Jungle - Unlimited - 58/64 - Additional ink error
  • Topps - Oddish 1999 Series 1 (Black Topps Logo) - Misaligned cut on back
  • Topps - Gloom 1999 Series 1 (Black Topps Logo) - Misaligned cut on back, continues from previous card
  • Topps Chrome - Tekno Chrome back with Regular Chrome front - extremely rare misprint, believed to be 1/1
  • Oddish 2000 Chrome Series 1 43 Spectra-Chrome (On Back of Card) Topps Chrome Stamp
  • Warp Point - 152/165 - Reverse Holo
  • Warp Point 84/100 - EX Crystal Guardians - Reverse Holo
  • Oddish 2004 Advanced Challenge 52 Silver Foil
  • Oddish 2019 Unbroken Bonds 5/214
  • Oddish 2019 Unbroken Bonds 6/214
  • Cleffa - 2019 - Unbroken Bonds - 131/214
  • Light Toxtricity - Holo - SWSH137
  • Oddish 2022 Lost Origin 001/196 Reverse Holo

Since I’m looking to get CGC 9s of all Oddish cards, I’m pretty sure I’ll have to submit multiple of each :rofl: :skull_and_crossbones: I’m not too worried about Oddish cards becoming the next gold star charizord so I’ve been spending the majority of my money on error cards that are less likely to ever pop up again. I have maybe 30 unique error cards queued to go to CGC and I’m really excited about those!

4 Likes

I can’t wait to see them graded. :eyes:

2 Likes

You have inspired me to make an Oddish guide/checklist, including pictures of all cards. It will help me get them all too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What an awesome thread this was to go through! Oddish has always a special place in my heart since it was the first plush my wife got me as birthday present when we first met :slight_smile: also the art is adorable on basically all of them. Really looking forward to seeing the topps errors you listed, have never heard of that kind of topps chrome error possibilities!

1 Like

Glad you liked it! Just wait until I post my other collection posts. I have an Oddish plushie collection, an Oddish figure collection, and a non-TCG Oddish card collection :open_mouth: The plushie and figure collection are significantly more complete than the TCG cards featured in this post as well.

3 Likes

You know already i’ll love those, really looking forward to seeing them!

1 Like

Since I think it’s interesting data, I just updated the original post to include how much I paid for everything. I included the price for slabs bought on ebay, and how much it cost to grade cards that I submitted myself (including how much I spent on the raw cards). Fellow data enthusiasts rejoice, and also admire some of the sweet deals I got :sunglasses:

Maybe your favorite Pokémon will have a regional form in Scarlet & Violet! I think I had to share with you my discovery in a short on YouTube :grinning:

3 Likes

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY BOY :sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

@Dyl As promised, the guide is now up :slight_smile: Checklist/Guide to All English TCG Oddish Cards

1 Like

As you can see I have made some wise purchases recently :slight_smile:

Oddish updates:

Updated my Neo Genesis 1st Edition to have subgrades, bought my first Japanese Oddish cameo, and added another English cameo :innocent:

Cute card updates:

This Raichu has to be one of the cutest cards that has ever been made and I got it for a great price so I’m really happy about that :heart:

6 Likes

I see you finally added a grimer card to your collection too :ok_hand:

1 Like

With all of the recent CGC changes, I have decided that I will be switching over to PSA for my non-error collection.

Things that made me switch:

• completely removing subgrades
  • completely changing labels
    • I prefer the new labels, but my entire collection matched before and I’m not going to spend hundreds of dollars to remove subgrades which I paid a premium for
    • lack of faith that they won’t just change the labels again
    • new labels mean it is essentially day one of a grading company in terms of the population of cards on the market with the new label
  • lack of consistency among new labels (this has been covered extensively in this other topic)

I will update the original post as I start to switch slabs.

Math

I currently own 41 CGC slabs.

Assuming $30 a card ($15 grade fee + $15 subgrades), that means my collection is worth approximately $1230 in graded plastic.

If I were to submit those exact same cards today with their new grading fees/slabs it would only cost me $442.80 ($10.80 a card).

442.80/1230 = 0.36 or 36%, meaning the cost of the slabs in my collection dropped 64% overnight. I could grade 3x the amount of cards for that price.

If I were to reholder all of my cards then that would be $5*41 which would be $205.

$1230 (current cost) + $205 (reholder cost) = $1435 total spent on grading.

Now if we look at the cost of grading today compared to how much I would have to spend to make my collection match… 442.80/1435 = 0.308, or 30.8%. This would mean I would be losing just shy of 70% worth, even worse than the prior 64%.

-70%… Absolutely unacceptable.

And this number is actually even higher when you account for shipping…

Going forward

Since almost all of my graded collection is currently CGC 9 with subgrades, I think that I am going to sell all of my non-error cards at a premium since they have subgrades. Hopefully I will be able to make back most of my money, but I’m not counting on it. I’m not in a rush so I’ll see how it goes, but it will be a journey for sure.

I will be reholdering my errors with CGC because CGC actually recognizes them, but those are currently the only cards that I will be keeping with CGC. Future errors will also be submitted to CGC.

Overall

Overall this makes me pretty sad. I really liked CGC and supported them for a long time but my collection and goals have been drastically affected by their recent changes. Even if I bit the bullet and reholdered all of my cards, what’s to stop them from changing it again in the future? Their track record does not give me hope.

I am not trying to convince anyone to switch grading companies and I’m certainly not turning this into a CGC vs PSA thread. I’m sharing this with everyone so you can all see the thought process that I went through when deciding, and if anyone else is stuck in a similar situation this may give them some additional perspective.

Happy collecting everyone :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Have you considered picking up a black and white label card to put it next to your blue w/subs and see if it doesn’t bug you that much?

Having cards with subs next to cards without subs already bugs me, so having the color change on top of that is definitely a no-go :slight_smile:

Haha I feel you. Overall situation sucks

1 Like

I’m glad that you came up with a solution that you can be at least somewhat satisfied with, even if you were forced to do so. Hopefully with time you’ll be able to enjoy fully your new arrangement :slight_smile:

1 Like