If Midori Harada could sign a card for you, which would it be?

In light of Midori Harada being named as the featured artist for the 2023 Orlando Regional Championship, I’d be curious to hear some opinions! If you could get any card(s) autographed by her, which would it be?

For my purposes, I’m choosing from only artworks she has done, but if you’d prefer another card for some reason I’d like to hear why! Here is a link to peruse showing a compiled list of artworks she has illustrated: Harada Cards (feel free to fact check me if this is not inclusive of all of her work!). She has some pretty great artworks (and in some great sets!), so I’m definitely torn, but if I had to narrow it down (I’ll limit myself to 3 cards), here are my picks:

1) Cubone (Aquapolis): After searching via the googles (thanks Bulbapedia), I learned that Cubone is Harada’s favorite Pokemon. Getting this card signed by her just seems like a win: her favorite Pokemon, from the first set she produced art for, plus some e-reader Aquapolis nostalgia, and a darn cute Cubone artwork. This is also the only Cubone artwork she produced for a card. Hits a bunch of the wickets in my book.

2) Pikachu (EX FireRed & LeafGreen): Pikachu is the face of the franchise, of course, so it seems silly to not include him. Plus, just look at this chonk-a-chu :heart_eyes: this artwork makes me smile, and Harada’s signature underneath it would make me smile even more.

Pikachu EX FireRed & LeafGreen

3) Pidgeot (EX FireRed & LeafGreen): I’ve always had an affinity for Ash’s Pidgeotto/Pidgeot (as well as Butterfree) ever since seeing the show. I wanted to fly as a kid, I am a pilot now, and this card/Pokemon still hits home. Plus, I enjoy the artwork and like the holo.

Honorable mention:

1. The trio of Charmeleon (EX Power Keepers), Wartortle (Platinum), and Ivysaur (POP Series 3) all together also sounds awesome. Even without a Harada signature, the artwork from these 3 cards together look fantastic.

There are plenty of other cards I like though (Slowking, Gyarados, Flareon, Raichu, Scyther, Sceptile) so this was tough. What are your picks!?

8 Likes

6 Likes

I’ve never seen that Charmeleon before. Such cool composition. I love the spiral design.

1 Like

I honestly love her geographical/landscape artwork, I’d break it down into Pokémon to sign and stadium/trainer to sign:

I LOVE her emerald Battle Frontier, but probably would want to sign the Forina’s Jirachi or Raichu

8 Likes

Rayquaza Gold Star and Charizard Base Set

2 Likes

Why? :eyes:

Anything from WOTC through EX series. So much good stuff from Harada in those sets. Would definitely need one of these Absol signed.

2 Likes

One of my favorite Flareon artworks. :face_holding_back_tears:

6 Likes

s-l500 (2)

7 Likes

100%

4 Likes

With silver ink,

6 Likes

My top pick

7 Likes

Love this card. Definitely prefer the regular one over the reverse holo since the stamp covers up some of the buildings.

BattleFrontierEXEmerald75

13 Likes

y’all r sleeping on the gary

3 Likes

I bought this one today to get signed. Will get it sketched too if I don’t end up with a panel :slight_smile:

s-l400 (1)

5 Likes

I was debating if I really wanted to travel all the way from NYC to Orlando. In the end I decided since I met Arita and Saitou, I may as well go for Harada.

I just picked up the card I want to get signed. I’ll probably find two more cards that I would like to get signed assuming there is a 3 card limit like the Saitou signing.

8 Likes

Excellent choice, she did a great job of making Flareon look EXTRA FLUFFY. 10/10 would cuddle

2 Likes

I forgot this artwork had a holo promo version! I was only looking at the POP series one (which is still a great card…but I like sparkles). Might change my choices slightly…

1 Like

gonna have to pick up that 10th movie promo celebi

9 Likes

Honestly, I could spend hours poring over the art on her cards – there are too many to choose from. I definitely have a short list though – her style is super distinctive.