Charizard: 60 (26.4%)
Blastoise: 32 (14.1%)
Ampharos: 30 (13.2%)
Alakazam: 52 (22.9%)
Arbok: 29 (12.8%)
Dugtrio: 10 (4.4%)
Clefable: 7 (3.1%)
Manhole: 7 (3.1%)

Why they called ‘thin packs’? Are the FPO cards thinner than the normal cards?

Because they have less cards in the pack than an actual legendary collection booster pack.

Thin packs 5 cards per pack
Thick packs 10 cards per pack
Just check the main post

1 Like

You said the first records of these being in the public eye are from 2013, i’m curious to what the price of sales are for ungraded, graded, and authentic slabbed FPO cards are from 2013-now.

Perhaps members that have purchased or seen purchases of these over the past couple years would be willing to say what they bought them / value them at.

I know the last couple FPO Charizards have sold for $1500-$1900 Mint/NM unslabbed ( September 2017 ) via TCA gaming on ebay

1 Like

I’m curious to know too!

Low-key sad I missed out on these when they first came out…

The Charizard Authority sold a bulk amount of FPO Charizards for under $300 USD each in late 2015

I personally wouldn’t pay much more than that for one

2 Likes

That’s just it… They all sold for so cheap that now I regret my decision not to pick one up. Neat to see that although Charizard is the most plentiful, people still have a premium on it.

250 ea to be exact

1 Like

I like how he mentioned that he thought even $250 back then was high. It is insane the value people give to these. Cool stuff for sure, but knowing that he probably got these for almost nothing, and also knowing they weren’t intended for release I just don’t understand it. I mean paying $1500+ for a raw FPO charizard when you can be buying PSA 8 1st edition zards or any PSA 10 1st edition card from any other WOTC set, PSA 10 gold stars, crystals etc.

2 Likes

There are tons of graded and ungraded 1st edition zards, gold stars, crystals and all that. The supply is basically unlimited if you have the funds, and will pretty much continue to be unlimited for the foreseeable future if you can afford them. But the FPO only has what, 227 confirmed copies ever? And they have an awesome story behind them. I’m sure there are some still lingering in some basements somewhere but for the most part a large majority of them are accounted for. And the number is so tiny when compared to all the other charizards out there you were referring to. In my opinion the FPO cards, primarily charizard are a gem to most collectors because of the history. Also, to be completely honest I’m sure TCA could of asked for more than double 1800 and they would of sold.

2 Likes

Somebody came into a store I am familiar with recently with a bunch of FPO cards and sold them (including some Blastoise and others not pictured here). Just thought I’d post since I had never seen these prior and it was a treat to see

9 Likes

Dang, I feel like more fpos exist then what was counted by the op, seeing that many come out of nowhere is amazing!

2 Likes

So what is the store putting as price tags?

1 Like

Sorry to bump an old thread but as this is the official guide I’d hope this would be able to be edited with the recent pack opening at Collect-a-Con. I believe 12 packs were opened with 33 Charizards pulled. I am unsure about the count on the other cards. Perhaps someone that attended could add that information. Also if there have been any other pack openings since this was last updated it would be cool to add those too!

Edit: I just spoke to @dfwpokemon via instagram and they kindly shared an ig story of the cards as well as let me know the number of packs!

So in their Instagram story the count shows:

33 Charizards
8 Blastoise
8 Alakazam
8 Ampharos
8 Arbok
8 Clefable
7 Dugtrio
12 Manhole

Total:92 cards.

They mentioned they opened 12 5-card packs; however, obviously the count is a little flawed so id assume 32 of these cards were obtained outside of collect-a-con or the number of cards in the packs varied.

And finally they even mentioned they still have 5 5-card packs that they were keeping sealed for now.
They’ll release an official video at some point perhaps clearing some things up :blush:

8 Likes

Very prescient

@mthursty is that one of the people who appeared in this video from last month? (Sound warning: they make a lot of stupid noises every time a Charizard is pulled).

If they’re different people, the counts for this pack were:

• 4x Charizard;
  • 1x Arbok;
  • 3x Alakazam;
  • 1x Blastoise;
  • 1x Manhole.
3 Likes

Ahh! thanks for sharing this as well! I recognize these collectors as normapoke on instagram. This is an additional pack I was unaware of that I believe is not included in the count above! So more newly opened cards to add to the count!!

1 Like

Can anyone confirm which companies are grading FPO’s now out of PSA/BGS/CGC? I know they wouldn’t grade them for a while but I have seen a few more graded by BGS recently.

@thecharizardauthorty shared this today. It appears to be an FPO Alakazam without the “For Position Only” text.

https://instagram.com/p/CTUck48Ly2l

Here’s a cropped image of just the Alakazam for reference: i.imgur.com/QzQamik.png

For comparison, this is what the Expedition Base Set #33 card usually looks like:

Hopefully if I poke the bear TCA will share some juicy details. I’m a bit worried this will extend beyond the usual FPO set and will include yet another obscure Pichu card, but hopefully that won’t be the case. :sweat: