FPO - For Position Only Cards Official Guide

History of the FPO cardsJust introduced to the Pokemon world in 2013 are the For Position Only (FPO) Test cards. Prior to the release of the Expedition E-Reader expansion, WOTC ran some of the rares through the printers and inserted them into unreleased packs for internal use only. The packs had the same artwork as the LEGENDARY Collection packs, as this was the most recent set and Expedition was not out yet, but they were never distributed outside of the design team. As these test packs were being destroyed, a former WOTC employee saved them from the shredder and kept them in his personal collection. He opened a few of the packs and left the rest sealed. They sat in storage for over a decade until he decided to sell off some of the extra stuff he had lying around. When this happened, a whole new collectible was introduced into the Pokemon community. The cards inside are much different from the cards that were eventually released within the Expedition Base Set expansion. Below is a video of the cards inside the packs:

SPOILER: Click to show

For Position Only [FPO] TEST Pokemon Cards - COMPLETE 8 card Set w/ Background - YouTube

Description of FPO cards
Below are 600 dpi scans of each of the FPO cards. Within the FPO set you can note many differences from the official releases. In the bottom-left corner of each card is the word “Medium” printed in small, black type. “FOR POSITION ONLY” is obviously printed across the art of the card as well. On the Charizard FPO, “HP” is missing after the “100” value in the top-right corner. While the former two differences relate strictly to the testing stage of the prints, the absence of “HP” could have been an error if it made it to print, similar to past errors with missing values and text.
Alakazam:

Ampharos:

Arbok:

Blastoise:

Charizard:

Clefable:

Dugtrio:

Manhole:

After selling some of the original sets, The Charizard Authority realized that the For Position Only set had an eighth card: the manhole. Originally thought to be curious additions and nothing more, the manhole sports a traditional Pokemon card back making it a novelty in its own right. Upon further examination, the key “For Position Only” white lettering can be found across the card, just as it is present on each of the other Pokemon included in the set. Because the art does not provide a high contrast background, as in the case of the other cards in this set, it is much more difficult to identify the bold, white FPO lettering. This is the reason for The Charizard Authority originally neglecting the card as he marketed the sets.

Count of the cardsBack in 2013, on Pokegym (scroll down the link to see TCA comment with the count): 107
PokeGym linkTotal FPO cards pulled on camera by The Charizard Authority (after PokeGym): 110
Here there are the 6 videos I watched for the count:[details=“SPOILER: Click to show”]

[/details]

TEST card Pack Opening # 2 "For Position Only" - The Charizard Authority- - YouTube

FIRST 10 TEST Card Pack OPENING "For Position Only" - The Charizard Authority - - YouTube

Final Booster Boxes + Opening 12 Test Packs FPO Charizard! - YouTube

4x FPO 5 Card Packs - Searching for DUGTRIO & CLEFABLE - YouTube

The LAST 10 Card FPO Booster Pack Opening MULTIPLE Charizard Pulls - YouTube

Daa906 lucky pack opening: 10[details=“SPOILER: Click to show”]

[/details]

Total FPO cards pulled: 227
(107 pokegym + 110 YouTube+ 10 daa906)

Charizard = 60****Alakazam = 52
Blastoise
= 32****Ampharos =30****Arbok = 29
Dugtrio = 10****Clefable = 7****Manhole= 7 ****What happened to the sealed packs?****Thin Packs (5 cards per pack):
-Opened on YouTube by TCA: 18 Packs-Sold to Collectors: 2 Packs
Thick Packs (10 cards per pack):-Opened on YouTube by TCA: 2 Pack-Opened on youTube by daa906: 1 Pack
Rusty sold 2 thin packs to some collectors, so there should be still 10 FPO cards still around.

Final count : 237
(227 pulled + 10 still in sealed booster packs)

**What about grading FPOs?**Sadly, PSA and BGS stopped grading these cards in 2015, because FPO cards were not considerated as official cards.
They have graded them for a brief period, so there is just a low number of graded FPOs.
PSA had labelled them just like normal Expedition cards but BGS was more accurate putting the right label and description.

Special thanks to @thecharizardauthorty

20 Likes

ohhh man these are rare, hopefully i can get em one day xD I remeber dem vids

I’m so happy I picked up a set when I did. They are getting harder to find!

5 Likes

Thanks to @justinator and @funmonkey54.
I ve just edited some things to make this thread more like a real guide.
Please @funmonkey54, if you can upload your scanned pics in ‘‘Description of FPO cards’’ will be great!

1 Like

Will do tonight! Scanning and bringing the Sampling Pack and Dollar Tree Pack up to date tonight as well, thanks to today’s postal worker. :wink:

These remind me of the E-Series Sample Card Set. Would anyone happen to know the production numbers for that set? My research leads me to believe it is greater than the FPOs.

Ever since the FPOs were made public, I have referred to it as the sister set to the sample cards. I completely agree.

Still going to update this. It’s a long story, but I can’t find my scanner. Lol

I have edited in 600 dpi scans of each card and a brief description of the appearance for that section.

@hazard24 Can you fix the formatting? I’m pretty beat and would like to put the computer away.

2 Likes

These Guides get better and better, I admire the organization!

2 Likes

@funmonkey54 done mate, many thanks for your help again!
I added all the Spoilers, now it finally seems a tidy thread.

Thank you @missingno :grin: :grin:

If someone can help with the Manhole Scan it would be much appreciated!!

Oh, I have that too. I just forgot. I’ll get that tonight.

1 Like

Another epic Thick booster pack has been opened!

Statistics updated

4 Likes

Thank you for adding my booster pack I found! Still can’t believe that happened. Insanely lucky.

9 Likes

So whats the story about how you acquired it?

3 Likes

Dang, I didn’t know these cards existed! How incredible - and to find them in a random booster pack even more so. :grin:

1 Like

This is truly crazy to randomly acquire one of these!! Like you said in the video I thought these were all with collectors as the only person I was aware of distributing these was thecharizardauthority so everyone who brought a pack would know what they are. I need the story too! Was it a random ebay purchase?

Also… Three Charizard FPO’s!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I wonder also. Did they all come from the same person? No holos in any of the other packs.

How much would this BGS 9 MINT “For Position Only” Blastoise be worth?

I know it was said that PSA and BGS no longer grade these cards, but this is what I found for the population report

1 Like

Credit to: Chris Fone (facebook) for the PSA Charizard FPO’s picture

1 Like