Evolving Skies Market Watch

There are only a few left below $260 on TCGplayer.

Other relevant news: Costco in the US finally sold out of the Evolving Skies ETBs. They had a bundle listing on their website for a surprisingly long time.

1 Like

3 Likes

Will be interesting to see if the ETBs will start moving up at the rate the sealed BB are.

See boxes sell for $245-$260 on eBay

After tax/shipping, that means most U.S. customers are paying ~$250-285 for an ultramodern booster box that is just over one year old. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Ultra Prism was sorta the same way, Iā€™m trying to think if any other mordern boxes have been priced like this while in standard over the years.

2 Likes

Vivid voltage had its moment in early 2021. Though, Iā€™m not sure if that ever made it up to $250+.

Roaring Skies was $200+ in early 2017 before the unprecedented reprint that sent boxes back below MSRP for a long time.

2 Likes

Ultra Prism was a bit of a different animal because it had a pretty short supply at the beginning. This was due to the fact that Crimson Invasion bombed so hard and stores were having trouble unloading those boxes. As a result, Pokemon printed less of Ultra Prism. Of course, they eventually reprinted it a couple of years later.

I know Ultra Prism had a lot of playable cards, but Iā€™m not sure there was much organic interest in the set like there is with Evolving Skies. It was just relatively rare/scarce early on.

2 Likes

Can we get much higher? (So high)

4 Likes

VV was actually short printed though during that time, it had a reason.

2 Likes

For those who have been collecting awhile, how long before the prices settle for singles?

Technically, they were settled for awhile, but now they just keep shooting up. The reprints barely made any dent before it hit new record prices.

They are hard to pull, of course, but is there any comparison to be made to any other era?

Plus the demand was much higher than it is now

It depends on which singles you are after. Most modern singles settle after 1-2 years, and additional time will allow the prices to regress toward the mean. However, demand makes this trend unstable and unpredictable.

Iā€™m wondering if this is just another Shining Fates ETB kind of situation. Scalpers were hoarding their basements with products, here in UK you couldnā€™t find them for less than twice MSRP. Not really the same now where people on FB group are trying to dump the same product in bundles for less than MSRP to have some liquidity back and it is widely available on eBayā€¦

It seems to me a flipper to flipper selling strategy that will fall apart when they realise nobody is cracking those packs

But with Shining Fates the singles were terrible outside of Charizard. Lots of well priced Alt Arts to chase in Evolving Skies with strong value

whatever is being said. Evolving sky is the best set in sword and shield, I will even dare to say the best ever.

If you want a comparison, its like you are combining all the gold stars in one set to match the alt art Vmax & V , so it makes evolving skies = Delta Species, Legend Maker, Dragon Frontiers, Crystal Guardians, Holon Phantoms, Team Rocket Returns & (of course) POP Series 5.

So is the set expensive today yes?, because a reprint is always on the table and will surely happen. Is the set cheap compare to what it will be in 10 y?, definitely.

Nobody talk about it (rebel class bb prices) if I have $250 would at buy at current market price ā€œrebel clash (~$190)ā€ or evolving skies (~$250), my answer is clear cut.

1 Like

ā€œBest set everā€ is incredibly subjective. For some people the best sets are those that give the most enjoyable pack opening experience. In my opinion Evolving Skies does not deliver that, because the desirable cards are so hard to pull. Your average booster box will be lackluster.

The Year 3 SWSH sets have the trainer gallery, which has gone a long way towards improving the typical pack opening experience, while still providing the alt art chase too.

If we ignore the opening experience then sure, Evolving Skies is a strong contender because of the sheer number of desirable alt arts. However, I donā€™t think it is fair to focus on only the setlist, or only the opening experience either. A combination of both will shape how the set is remembered in the future.

10 Likes

Completely agree! I opened a handful of Evolving Skies and only have a flat V non Eeveelution to show for it. Opening packs in modern isnā€™t fun for me, and this includes the most ideal set for an Eevee fan.

3 Likes

Definitely not a contender for ā€œbest setā€. The main reasons for the price premium are alt arts + the insane pull rates. I remember when Pokichloe was over, we opened 18 packs of evolving skies, and got nothing. I remember being like, ā€œthis is the set people are hyped aboutā€?

10 Likes

try to open baset set ($400 a booster pack) to get a charizard and not getting it :slight_smile: , you will suddenly find those prices ($6 for a booster of evs) extremely cheap :slight_smile:

1 Like