Why you should not invest in modern sealed product

I see so many people on social media flexing their xxx quantities of evolving skies and other collection boxes, booster boxes, etc. So what happens in 5 years when everyone is holding the same product and no one is genuinely interested because everyone is just shilling each other? I think that the ideology of “sealed product can only go up” is kind of flawed and I refuse to own a target shelf in my closet.

10 Likes

tell that to jp full arts days after release grimer

1 Like

:fishing_pole_and_fish:

5 Likes

I agree completely with you.

1 Like

Not saying that the past always reflects the future but I remember people saying the same thing about Sun&Moon sets

There’s a rudy video out there where he talks about how the risk involved with modern products in Pokemon especially is very low. Because boxes almost never go below the “msrp” price, so the probably of losing money is just very low and the upside is historically really positive

25 Likes

I agree, but I feel modern sealed product is so different now than it was in 2016. Idk the stats but I feel there are like 20x more sealed product investors than there were back then

4 Likes

JP is different and there are so many FA Jp shillers out there rn

1 Like

i thought the same thing so decided to crack open my 4 evolving skies boxes i was planning on holding.

lol.

mr triple no-one knows the future

2 Likes

The answer is japanese not english, if you want to grab modern sealed. I got cp6 booster box in 2019 for 90 bucks and its like 1.8k now. Sm3+ (shining legends) for like 120 in 2020, 800 or so now.

Alternatively, I have some sealed hidden fates tins to open years later and those have been stagnant at like 50 bucks a tin or so for 2 or 3 years now. All sealed does go up eventually but you gotta be weary of what you get, particularly english. You may have stuff that does nothing for years and eventually pay off (like Rudy’s sealed SM/XY stuff) but its at the cost of having capital tied up for several years.

6 Likes

I felt like Evolving Skies was always harder to get. Maybe I have blinders on, but it seems like its been hard to get (not on Pokemoncenter) for a majority of time between its initial release in 2021 to today.

You can’t really bet against Umbreon either. Its the poster child of Sword and Shield chase cards

I’d wager that the emergence of alt arts and the flooding of Shining Fates has made the desire for Hidden Fates to dwindle some.

2 Likes

To be fair, most of the 2019 products are way higher now. I’m not so sure post-boom sealed will ever be as profitable, at least in terms of % gains.

I am for sure curious how VSTAR Universe will perform in 3 years though.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Weird to think back about that being THE set everyone was crazy over. I guess the lackluster nature of early sun and moon made us desperate lol

2 Likes

If you get it at MSRP, you’ll never lose money.

If you’re buying now and holding then you might since the reprint window isn’t over yet.

edit: I should say, you’re not gonna make that much money either. As previously stated, your capital will be tied up for years.

I definitely wonder who the hell is going to want to drop 2k on an Eevee Heroes box in five years or whatever when the chance of pulling anything remotely close to getting your money back is extremely low. It is certainly going to be interesting.

1 Like

Availability or lack thereof will drive it all the way up, especially when there’s continued popularity of Eeveelutions. 5 years of modern sets means about 50 sets (at the current rate of 10 JP sets a year) will have released by then, which makes Eevee Heroes age very fast

Also need to consider that E regulation sets are rotating out either by the end of this year or early next year, that will be the final nail in the coffin for any possibility of reprints

2 Likes

I agree with the point, that there are many modern “investors” out there that are hoarding sealed modern English. But still, if you get the products at or below msrp, the risk is very low. Even really recent sets already went up significantly. Evolving Skies is at 300€ per box, Brilliant Stars is at 165€. Japanese sets like Eevee Heroes, VMAX Climax or Blue Sky Stream also went up a lot. None of those sets are older than 2 years.

1 Like

I know why it’s going to go up, I just don’t know why anyone would want to open it at that price.

Yeah it gets harder to justify opening it, perhaps on the day the majority of SA Eeveelution V and VMAX graded prices become enticing enough to take the risk

From 1999-2019, very few people were thinking about hoarding sealed product for investing. The condition of raw cards were not kept well for the first half of that time period. That drives up the value of sealed product, because there is a better chance of getting mint cards.

The Sword and Shield era is completely different from all other eras. Print runs were up and realistically there are 50x more “investors” holding sealed product than there were people hoarding ex era, HGSS, BW, etc. At the end of the day, for SWSH era sealed to go up, somebody actually has to want this product. People will just buy the cards they want, in mint condition, because that is all that is out there. 7 year old kids today are putting freshly pulled cards in sleeves and top loaders. Very few of us did that in 1999…

In summary, there are better ways to use your money than buying sealed product at MSRP in 2023

10 Likes